“Girls night out!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Laburnum House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thirsk
Laburnum House
You added Laburnum House to your Saves list
31 Topcliffe Road | Sowerby, Thirsk YO7 1RX, England   |
Ranked #1 of 23 Thirsk B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Thirsk, United Kingdom
“Girls night out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have stayed at Val’s before but my friends had no idea on what to expect, Val greeted us with a big hug, and asked us if we would like a glass of wine or anything stronger, we then sat in her new orangery which is beautifully decorated, and looked out on to the garden which is very well kept. Val then showed us to our rooms, Thirsk Room looks out to the back and so does the York Room decor and linen, soft white towels, and in the en suites we all had Sanctuary products in very large bottles too. Wooow said my mates this is 5*****. We were going to book a Taxi but Val insisted she took us in to Thirsk pointing out the good pubs and restaurants, After a good night in town and a meal at The Old Oak Tree (South Kilvington) just outside Thirsk which was fab, we got a taxi back to Laburnum House, Val waited up for us and we all had a great time putting the world right. Do not know where Val gets her energy from but she was up at 6 am next day to do breakfasts for some men on business. Oh my god BREAKFAST, Val will cook you practically anything you want, I had smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, lemon, fresh chives and even a large prawn, my friends had Full English, and Val sat with us and had Kippers, because all the other guests had gone Val said just come down in your dressing gowns, they are white and fluffy all provided by Val. It was like being on holiday at a pamper farm, but an eighth of the cost. Choice of magazines is huge and all were August/September. No paper napkins here but material ones, and all breakfast produce is quality, the black pudding, smokey bacon, dry cured bacon, sausages are all from Arthur Haighs, which Val mentioned had won many awards, I asked if I could buy a few pieces of the black pudding to take home for my Dad and yes you’ve guessed FOC. We were all well looked after like royalty and I am so proud that my friends liked Val, my daughter gets married in September next year and I mentioned to Val I would like it at Laburnum House she was so excited and the large number of wedding guests did not bother her, oh it would be great if we could, I was worried about where everyone would stay and the answer was there are some lovely B & B's close by so no probs. We are coming back in December this year to go on a walking hike with Val this is her favourite hobby and we can’t wait. So let our boots do the walking. Book now you won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: Twin or double the choice is yours, everyone is perfect!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I recently spent 4 nights at this wonderful B&B as I was attending a family wedding in the area. The B&B is definitely worthy of all the positive reviews on this site! I stayed in the twin room which was huge - there was so much space! Everything was so clean and tidy and the big fluffy towels, tea and coffee making facilities in the room, the very comfortable bed and an excellent choice at breakfast made my stay at Laburnum House a lovely experience. Val and her husband are so warm and welcoming that it felt like I was staying with family! Laburnum House is a home away from home and I really can't recommend this place highly enough!

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
suffolk,uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

we stayed for two nights at Vals and enjoyed it so much,nothing was to much for her to make our stay a happy one.breakfast and our room was of the highest quality and we would not be afraid to recommend it to all our friends.for us it was 5 star accommodation and 5 star hospitality.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Laburnum House hospitality, cleanliness, comfort, Val diligence to get up the earliest of the morning and made ​​each guest's preferred breakfast is a prove to me that all of the above people's feedback about Laburnum House is a real truth. Just recently (05/07/2013) I visited Laburnum House, and had become acquainted with Val and experienced the hospitality and care in their own guests. I am pleasantly surprised by Val dedication. The rooms are in excellent condition, everything is nice , clean and tidy. Spend there just one night , but i got absolutely in love with this place!
I would strongly recommend Laburnum Hose to anyone. I wish all the best to Val in future and hope to visit Laburnum House again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed at Laburnum House for three days whilst volunteering at an event nearby. Val was extremely welcoming and accommodating as we were in and out at odd hours. Couldn't fault the room which was a relaxing, comfortable and spotless retreat with huge piles of fluffy towels at our disposal. Breakfast on our morning off was superb - scrambled eggs and smoked salmon with the eggs cooked better than my stepfather does them! (rich, creamy, softly scrambled). The delightful market town of Thirsk is a short walk away and the beautiful county of Yorkshire on the doorstep. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We recently visited for 3 nights, family of three plus my mother. We had two rooms which were both delightful, spotlessly clean and airy with pleasant outlook and every convenience you could wish for. Val was extremely welcoming, infact it was like visiting friends rather than staying in a B&B. The breakfast was deliciously cooked and every taste and diet catered for. I would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend to a friend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We have stayed at Laburnum House several times and the standard of cleanliness, friendliness and comfort has never varied, it has been excellent. Val goes out of her way to ensure our visits have been nothing less than totally satisfactory. No hesitation in recommending Laburnum House to anyone visiting Thirsk or surrounding area. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Laburnum House? Share your experiences!