“Good Restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Baldock B&B and Inns
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Good Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We visited for lunch with our daughter and grandson. The service was excellent as was the food. We had steak, which was cooked to perfection.So many times steak is not cooked to your liking.
There was a reasonable vegetarian menu which suited our daughter, and the childrens menu was good.
All in all we enjoyed our visit and noticed they did some good "meal deals" in the evenings which we will try next time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here as were meeting family in London. Upon our arrival we were greeted by a very friendly member of staff. We were made very welcome and after having a leisurely drink In the bar we ordered dinner. I had the ham hock and my partner had the beef and ale pie. The ham hock was huge but was deliciously slow cooked so much so it just fell off the bone. The breakfast was also nice.with friendly service throughout our stay and at prices this low we found it was perfect for what we were looking for and would definately stay again if in the area

• Stayed October 2013
Andover, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I recently stayed at the Jester for one night following the Air Show at Duxford and was pleasantly surprised having read so many poor reviews. Admittedly it was a Sunday night and not busy, but I was welcomed by name and the service was efficient and friendly. My room was OK for one night, adequately clean but nothing special. I slept well enough due to wearing my faithful earplugs, and I was glad there was possibly only one other person staying as the walls were very thin. The bar meal was mediocre, nicely flavoured fish pie but really soggy vegetables and not particularly attractively served. On the contrary breakfast was nicely cooked but I was the only person eating at that time. I would stay again for one night but probably eat elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were passing and saw The Jester were doing a carvery.
There was a choice of Pork, Turkey & Beef, or all three if you liked.
The staff were really pleasant.
The toilets absolutely spotless.
Lovely lunch and we will be back for Fish night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Accrington, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I needed a room for 3 nights. Baldock is not a million miles from Stevenage and surrounding areas. I could have got cheaper and similar quality in Stevenage but I booked The Jester as it was closer to where I needed to be.... so what I saved in petrol to and from Stevenage I paid a little extra for the Jester... it kinda worked itself out.
The room was ok... average. Stayed in better stayed in worse. It was clean enough. BUT I was glad to get home as the bed was by far the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in and the pillows were like sleeping on bricks...
The breakfast was nice enough and the staff were fine. Apart from one they either had something wrong with their eyes or just liked looking you up and down and were not discreet about it....not nice.
Would I stay again... NO but only because I think I will give something else a try.

Room Tip: Like I said its ok might be worth shopping round
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed here after a family wedding. On arrival the man behind the bar was polite and chatty he told us where our room was and when breakfast was served and where.

We were told before arrival that there were no family rooms but they accommodated us by putting 2 travel beds up in our room. They said it would be a tight squeeze but we had plenty of room. They gave us lots of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, bottled water and biscuits. We were provided with lots of clean towels.

The beds were all comfy and we all slept well.
The downsides: TV was tiny could have been slightly cleaner- checked under the beds for toys don't think carpet had seen a hoover.

Things that could annoy you: the hotel does seem to be on a flight path but planes seemed to stop at around midnight.

Breakfast: Good range of cereals, and juices followed by cooked to order English breakfast. They did get some of the orders wrong at breakfast, and the man who served us breakfast did seem harassed and there was only our party having breakfast (9 of us).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We booked tonight (thurs 7 aug) and were put in the lovely airy room 1. The room is lovely and clean, few signs of wear and tear(windows), but very bright.
The whole place has a very modern relaxing ambience and all the staff were warm and friendly, welcomed us, showed us the room and explained everything.
We then took a little wander around locally looking at the wildlife, very nice.
Also met the neighbours who allowed me to take photos of the baby housemartins, adding to the whole experience.
Even our little cavalier king charles was welcomed and offered water, not many places do that.
The back garden here is amazing and private, very nice to have a coffee in.
We decided to eat here and partook in the steak night (2x rib eye and bottle zinfandel) for the very reasonable £26 bargain!! The steak was perfect and had such a wonderful flavour, now we shall finish our wine in our room...
Take no notice of bad reviews instead take a chance like we did and make your own mind up!
The Jester is a place we would return to...

• Stayed August 2013

Been to The Jester Hotel? Share your experiences!