“Stylish self catering cottage” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hoste

and 1 more site!
You added The Hoste to your Saves list
The Hoste
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Green, Burnham Market PE31 8HD, England (Formerly Hoste Arms)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burnham Market
London, United Kingdom
“Stylish self catering cottage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed two nights in the cottages belonging to The Hoste Arms. They are very well presented with dishwaster/washing machine and stylish decor. We were at a wedding being held in the hotel and were surprised how far away these cottages are located from the venue. There is nothing in the details to suggest that they are not in the grounds of the hotel and we feel this should be emphasised. Apart from this we did enjoy our stay and would recommend the cottages wholeheartedly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This definitely wasnt my first visit to the hoste in the slightest! I choose to go to the hoste as a birthday meal, first of all we were seated in the new part of the hoste 'the conservatory/dining hall' as lovely as this room was, we got the impression we were being divided/sepearted from the other residents in the main part of the building. We felt like we were not in the Hoste because of the different surroundings and the obvious divide. However, we were treated well by helpful staff, and the menu had some lovely dishes on it. My starter was delicious and not too filling. When my mum rang up to book a table she did mention it was for my birthday and they told her they would put something on the table, but sadly they never did. My main course was lovely, just the right portion, however a lot of people from my party either had to little portions or too much! The desserts as usual were lovely, and just the right size. A member of my party did say that they had been to some toilets and was startled by the horrific stench, which I didn't think was very good. I was also upset to hear that Elvis wasnt playing in the toilets anymore which was always another unique special thing about the hoste. Overall, the staff were brilliant and we had a lovely evening, but it didn't quite feel like it was a meal at the hoste.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stopped here for coffe yesterday morning on our way to te cost. Whilst t interior disgn is great te service was very poor. They weren't busy and only ordering 5 drinks we didn't expect any problems. When the 3 lattes arrived before te 2 teas this seemed a little odd as generally lattes take longer to make than tea. After waiting a good 10 minutes we had to ask where the tea's were. Then only 1 of the teas arrived and we had to ask again for the other.

Not impressed at at £15 for the drinks you'd expect better than this.

Knowle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Having read the hype and heard the ‘celebrity’ stories we decided to book ourselves in to The Hoste for two nights over the May bank holiday.

We normally stay in 4 star (occasionally 5 star) hotels, we rate Hotel Du Vin and to a lesser extent Malmaison. This property has a famous past with a high profile and well connected previous owner and it would appear that most people who review this hotel have very high expectations.

From our perspective our expectations were to see a ‘designer’/ gastro style pub with ‘boutique’ style rooms and this is precisely what is on offer here. The property has clearly been added to over the years with an additional block adjacent to the hotel that was originally called the Zulu wing. This has the benefit of a spa.

I have to say that the staff on reception were generally very friendly and helpful by ensuring that our room was available by 11.00am. In fact the staff at the Bar were also good and Thierry and his wine waiter colleague were exceptionally attentive during our evening meal on the Saturday night. The wine waiter in particular was very keen to ensure the wine was too our liking when we felt that this did not taste right at the initial tasting – he opened another bottle too, which again tasted the same and despite this we were invited to choose again. The staff were also very kind to my 5 year old daughter.

However it was clear from what we saw around us that this place is under resourced. We saw numerous examples of the staff simply not been able to cope with the sheer demand. We also heard a number of people complaining. The examples are as follows:

- We were offered a complimentary afternoon tea and were told that they could not serve this in the new garden area as they didn’t have a licence to serve food outside. When I pointed out that other people were eating outside the chap behind the reception desk changed his mind. However we waited 10 minutes and no one came so I then had to chase again. Eventually it turned up!

- Another party celebrating a birthday were all complaining that they had waited until 2.30pm for their Sunday lunch. To their credit the Hotel acknowledged their concerns, discounted the bill and gave the party a magnum of champagne as compensation. A good response but not a good sign and a slippery slope in terms of reputation!

- Breakfast was poorly organised. The bowls and glasses constantly ran out with no one filling them and with guests walking round confused as a result. Indeed on the Sunday there was a wait of 10 mins for a table as a queue of 4 couples stood in the new garden room.

Turning to the bedroom this was satisfactory and quite stylish but for the amount paid (we paid £240 per night for B and B to include a z bed for my daughter in a superior double) I thought this was now looking somewhat tired and in need of a lick of paint and a deeper tile grout clean in the bathroom.

Disappointingly there was no fridge, no safe and the hot water was dangerously hot. The room was too hot at night and the only thing you could do was to turn on the large air conditioning unit on the wall. Car parking is difficult but you can normally park around the village if necessary.

Plus points were the food quality in the restaurant (the lamb was delicious and sticky toffee pudding superb), the location and the general ambience of the place. Some of the people that stay here (I exclude myself!) are full of themselves (the Joules set!) and I have to say I have never seen so many families’ with children, but worse still dogs. Maybe I’m missing the point but we actually watched the hotel fall over backwards to cater for the dogs with dog bowls and commentary about the beasts being welcome on your bed in the hotel manual!

The lowlight for me was watching a dog foul on the grass outside the garden room (the owner did pick it up) whilst babies and other children toddled around on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

I think the staff desperately need more assistance and support from the owners. I think if they don't do something soon the hard working staff will leave along with the reputation and the goodwill.

My advice, visit The Hoste at a quiet time, negotiate a good price, treat yourself to a nice meal but please leave your dog at home!

Room Tip: Checkout the website for best rooms. Room 35 ok for family of 3
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Beaconsfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Hoste is very conveniently located in the centre of Burnham Market and provides something of a focal point for the village. It is a sort of cross between a high end Inn and a four star Hotel with the main hotel on one side of the high street and an annexe called the Vine on the other. The Vine has its own garden, car park, lounge and seven bedrooms but other hotel services such as the restaurant are located in the main hotel.

I've stayed at the Vine once a year for the last three years. Rooms are a bit olde worlde with slightly slopey floors/ceilings and are a bit tight in places but are characterful, clean and well appointed with modern, well functioning bathrooms and fittings - dual washbasin, separate shower (large) and bath, comfortable beds. My one complaint is the room lighting could be brighter.

Staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly although slightly run off their feet during the peak breakfast period - not entirely their fault as 90% of guests seem to take their breakfast at 9.00 a.m.

Since my last stay, the hotel has ahd a major makeover with a new modern dining room where the old, rather incongruous Morrocan restaurant used to be and a large new reception desk in the entrance hall. I know some guests have complained that the changes are out of character with the older style of the rest of the building, but personally I welcome them. The old reception desk was too tight and mislocated far inside the building and I found the old restaurant - which is still used - a bit cramped. The new dining room is airy and light with a contemporary feel, and it is much easier to manoeuvre between the well spaced tables.

All in all this is a very comfortable and well run place to stay for a few days in a very conducive corner of the world.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sudbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We've been to the Hoste several times over the past 10 years and this was the first time since it has been taken over. Still great food and very good staff but lacked the quirky specialness of old. Become a little too corporate. Old conservatory to relax in with complimentary coffee etc. gone. Squeezed in a new restaurant and spa. Hoste now feels a little cramped and shoe-horned in. Other little touches also gone. That said, we had a very nice room - Room 25 - although over looking car park. Creaky floorboards above us woke us up but only at 8am so could have been worse. Not sure we would go back even though we had a lovely time for my 40th.

Room Tip: We had a superior double - Room 25 - There are two grade above this but we still had a sofa and two...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My sister and I stayed last weekend. We loved the room, restaurant, spa. What particularly struck us was the staff - nothing was too much trouble, they were kind, natural, fun. The food was excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Hoste? Share your experiences!