“Fantastic weekend, worth every penny!” 5 of 5 stars

The Dog & Partridge Country Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Town End Lane, Swinscoe DE6 2HS, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Swinscoe B&B and Inns
Warwickshire
“Fantastic weekend, worth every penny!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

Went on recommendation of a friend and her husbandwho had visited the previous year with their 2 dogs. So we all arranged a weekend away, as it is very difficult to find places for short breaks away when you have a dog. Where to start, the rooms were very comfortable and ample in size; the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, advising us on places to visit with the dogs; the food was fantastic, in fact i had the best steak i have ever tasted; and to top it all off the location was stunning. Anyone in need of an escape for the weekend, with or without dogs or children (as excellent outdoor play area for children and very child friendly) should certainly visit. At the end of the

• Stayed July 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

I stayed there for two nights with my Dad during our fishing and shooting trip. We were warmly met by the staff in the nice old reception and bar area. We were led to our rooms which are prefabricated Chalets, the decour is a bit dated and the tv very small but are a good size, clean and tidy so no problems unless your are expecting a lot more. There is an excellant garden if you have kids with outside pool table, two table tennis tables, a pet rabbit and nice inquizitive cows in the ajoining field. Food is average and certainly pricey for what it is, but the staff are very helpful. We read the reviews before we went but because we share the same surname as the pub and a bit too lazy to find another we booked and were not dissapointed in this beautifully located lodge.

• Stayed July 2009
Sheffield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

I completely agree with the previous reviewer who, by the looks of it, stopped here either the same night as us last week (4th July) or certainly very close to that date. The biggest mistake I made with this place was that, for the first time in a long, long time I never bothered consulting Trip Advisor, largely because the booking was made in rather a rush. We stopped at the hotel as a stop off on the way to Alton Towers.

The afternoon started well with a few drinks outside the conservatory as we were early for the 3pm check in, taking in the views and the weather. This soon changed when we asked for the key to the room.

I should start by saying do NOT be fooled by the pictures on the website for this place, this is a crucial point - as several other reviewers have mentioned, it would appear that the Management Team have "conveniently" forgotten to post any pictures of the accommodation where a vast majority of visitors will end up staying - absolutely hideous prefab/portercabin type buildings that are located by the side of the main building. It seems that we were slightly luckier than some other reviewers as at least our room was relatively clean (perhaps this was down to the fact that we'd booked the "romantic" package to stop there - although the room was hardly conducive to romance if I am being honest) although far from spotless, with a revolting carpet, furnishings from the 1970s, filthy curtains, a TV which did not work and a radio alarm clock which looked like it would be at home in an 1980's Argos catalogue. There was no shower attachment, just a mixer and there was no hot water from around 6pm. Fantastic.

The price of the drinks we were buying appeared to vary depending on who served us - I would also add that the drinks were not cheap. A small glass of wine and a bottle of Magners cost approximately £8.50.

We did have plans to use the hot tub but having seen the room decided not to bother - something I am glad of having read the previous review and also considering the general standard of cleanliness of the establishment.

For £80 a night I would have expected a much higher standard of accommodation.

The only positives I can find are the fact that I found some members of staff polite and helpful and the food was actually ok - the full English wasn't fantastic but did hit the spot in the morning.

I would have made my feelings much clearer when we checked out but to be honest, just wanted to get away from the place. I would also advise that, if you do decide to go here, ask for an itemised bill. I have some misgivings about what we were charged for.
I take full responsibility for that but I just couldn't be bothered. If we had been staying two nights, however, it would have been an entirely different story!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
D&PInn, Manager at The Dog & Partridge Country Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2009
I am sorry that your recent stay was not to your satisfaction; unfortunately I was not made aware of any problems during your stay here at the Dog and Partridge Country Inn.

I do appreciate your time taken writing your review, but I do wish you may have taken the time to make your views clear to me during your stay, so that I could have been given a chance to rectify things for you where possible.

On our website we do display a number of picture of our Hotel Bedrooms and includes all of the different room types, Cleanliness is of high importance to us and we pride our selves on a good standard unfortunately I am unable to look in to the comments you made as we are unaware of the room number.

With regards to itemised bills I would be happy to provide a copy of this if you could contact me or one of the reservations teams to organise this for you. The only reason I can think of for drinks prices varying is if you were changed the type of wine you were drinking however if you wish I will certainly look into this for you.

Our hot tub is well looked after and cleanliness and hygiene is of much importance.

Kind Regards

Manager, Dog and Partridge Country Inn
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

I recently had the pleasure to stay at the Duck and Partridge, and i must say i absolutely loved it. I stayed for 2 nights with 3 of my friends in one of the suits and instantly upon arrival we were greated by the warm and friendly staff. It is a typical country bumbkin with charm and history. The food was brilliant, the views from the restaurant and bedrooms were stunning, what a perfect way to spend my birthday. I would say the bed a breakfast offers a strong competition towards its Alton Tower superiors, we will deffinatly come and stay again. Well done A*. Thank you for a great break!! Aimee, Katie, Paul and Olly

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

Where do I start? We arrived after a long trip and even on first impressions the place is more than a little shabby. We did receicve a warm welcome from the staff and were shown to our 'suite'. From the outside I thought we'd got lucky as our room was in a nice stone building rather than one of the shabby outdated chalet style buildings. On entering the room I quickly realised I was very wrong, it was musty, outdated, dirty (looked tidy enough on the suface but dare to scratch that), the sleeping arrangemants were just strange. Two of our daughters had bunks in the hallway, there was a large pair of curtains to close off the sleeping area but for young kids sleeping in a strange place I would say this is not ideal. Our bed if you could call it that ( I think it was one of those pull down things from the 70's) was in an adjoining room which also contained a kitchen area with very old units, all empty of course, and a stained plastic sink and also a sofa made up as a small single bed for our third daughter. The patio doors led out to a very small overgrown area with a table and two chairs the doors and window were filthy, never a good indication of clenliness if you ask me. The bathroom was sufficient with plenty towels but smelled very musty and once again was outdated. After a very uncomfortable night, none of us slept well, the bed sagged in the middle (aptly named the big dipper by us as the only purpose of our visit was to take the kids to alton towers) breakfast looked very appealing we were swiftly seated offered tea and coffee told to help ourselves to the buffet and brought plenty toast whitch on closer inspection was mouldy the fried breakfast was ok but I couldnt really enjoy it given the fact the bread was mouldy I was left wondering if the rest off the food was fresh. After an enjoyable day at alton towers we really couldnt face another night in the room so we went back to collect our belongings settle the bill which we were quoted 150 pounds for two nights over the phone and head home. On returning we discovered someone had been in the room to make the beds etc (we had rushed out in the morning to make the most of the day so things were a litle untidy) this may be the norm but we were not informed this service was included and it made us feel a bit uneasy that someone had been touching our belongings putting our jammies under the pillow etc. My husband went to settle the bill and to his shock was told that the £150 was per night and we would have to pay for both as that was what we had booked even though we were leaving, he did query the bill but decided to just pay up and get out of there. The one good thing was that we got a laugh at the dvd rentals list which was made up of unknown films and a few classics (to be polite) and the Hot tub rental which was a snip at £25 per two hours and you could also watch a dvd while you are in there if there was ever anything that would put you off hiring a hot tub in a dirty b&b its the thought of god knows who watching god knows what in that hot tub before you, if you catch my drift. Parting comment from the member of staff taking the payment from my husband was that a lot of people book two nights and stay only one. You would think these people would take the hint. Enough said!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Thank-you for your review we value all reviews to help us improve our guest experience however I do wish you may have taken the time to make your views clear to me during your stay, so that I could have been given a chance to rectify things for you where possible.

With regards to your comments :-

Our main building is olde worlde but certainly not shabby it is in keeping of the age and traditional nature of our Country Inn we are constantly upgrading and refurbishing on a ongoing basis.

Our Family Suites are normally well liked unfortunately it is impossible to please everyone one with the layout of the rooms, These particular rooms have recently had new carpets and soft furnishings as part of our ongoing refurbishment programme. All rooms as in all hotels are serviced on a daily basis and we maintain a high standard of cleanliness in all of our rooms.

I can only apologies for your toast at Breakfast this is not of our normal standards and have taken up the problem with our bread supplier once the problem was noticed. We have also placed new procedures within our kitchens. I can assure you that all produce is freshly prepared on a daily basis and the bread on this occasion slipped the net due to the very warm weather we have experienced.

All of our rates are based on a nightly tariff and checking out early would incur full charges being payable. We receive very little complaints from customers but if you were as you say in your review you checked out because of your complaints would it not have been sensible to say at the time or in the morning before going to Alton Towers. Or is this review been written as your plans changed and you are getting your own back because you were charged for the two nights? At no point did your husband query the bill or voice his complaints on check out.

With regards to the hot tub I can assure you that Our hot tub is well looked after and cleanliness and hygiene is of much importance this facility is for all ages and members of the family to use and not at all used in the way you implied.

However as I said at the top of the review we would like to thank-you for your comments and we will take note and use it to improve are guest experience where necessary.

Kind Regards

Manager, Dog and Partridge Country Inn
Mansfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

A never failing friendly and homely welcome was received yet again when we arrived.
Nothing was too much trouble for the team of very hard working staff who are to be commended in level of service provided, their friendliness and their courteousness.
We had a very enjoyable relaxed meal in the restaurant on Saturday evening which in the area and surroundings was excellant value for money and throughly enjoyable.
We decided to opt for the bar snack menu on Sunday evening which again was excellant value for money and very satisfying.
My 4 year old son was also well catered for and ALL the staff made him feel very important and (not like a lot of places today) that he wasn't in the way.
The play facilities for him were fantastic which was great as he was kept amused without being able to get lost or wander off.
Our room again was very nice, lovely and clean and the facilities within the room were second to none.If you are looking for the Ritz at a Country Inn prices then you will be disappointed, but if you are looking for excellent service, fantastic staff,a great welcome, great food and time to relax and chill out then this is most definately the place for you. A family run inn were family values a very important to them and your satisfaction is also at the top of their priorities.
We will be back again very soon as we love it!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

The service was excallent and and all the staff were friendly,nothing was too much trouble, the food was again excellent with a good variety of dishes,compliments must be given to the Chef. The accomadation was adequate and very clean.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Dog & Partridge Country Inn? Share your experiences!