“The Best Time EVER” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shottle Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shottle
Shottle Hall
You added Shottle Hall to your Saves list
White Lane, Shottle DE56 2EB, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Shottle B&B and Inns
“The Best Time EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

From the moment we stepped into Shottle Hall, I knew it was going to be an amazing weekend. My husband had booked a surpirse break for us after Christmas, as we usaully just complain how depressing a month January is and he thought it would be good to get away, Every attention to detail was catered for from the flowers and champagne in the room on arrival to the brilliant service we received at dinner. It was like being welcomed into a family that we didn't know but ended up feeling like we had know them all our lives. The rooms were fantasitc, so comfortable and spacious with the most decadent four poster bed! I usually tell my husband we should try different places and go somewhere new all the time but for Shottle Hall I'll make the exemption and insist that we return very,very soon.

• Liked — The four poster bed
  • Disliked — The curtains, they blocked out the light compeltely, I like a bit of light coming through.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
SW France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Shottle Hall last month for a 4 night Christmas break. We decided to take a short breather from our 4* self-catering holiday and B&B business in France and it was recommended to us by friends who had stayed there in July and said it was great. We booked a premium double room with ‘dinner/B&B’ - £25 allowance for dinner included.

The setting is really pretty and from the moment we went in we were made to feel welcome. Our rooms were very comfortable and most importantly for me, everything was really clean (I am very fussy!) so that put me at ease straight away.

Having had a busy year this break was purely for us to ‘flop’ and chill out in comfort. We had some walks around the grounds and there are 14 acres including parkland plus my husband had seen on their website that you could spend some time with birds of prey and as we see them a lot around where we live, he booked a session. Major memorable event for him!

We didn’t leave the Hall or its grounds the whole time so got to meet the owners who work there almost every day. I was surprised as I thought they might be a bit toffee nosed but it’s the opposite. Like the staff we came into contact with they were friendly, helpful and genuine. They’ve put a lot into upgrading and transforming this place. On the food front, no complaints. We ate in the restaurant every night and with the dinner allowance the most we had to put towards our 3 course meal was just over £2 one night so the pricing is good.

We’ve booked another 4 night break.

• Liked — Attention to detail, ambiance and service
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

This is only my second review on Trip Advisor, but we had such a pleasant stay at Shottle Hall that I wanted to recommend it to anyone else looking for a really lovely place to stay while in Derbyshire.

Having been to Derbyshire in the past, we wanted to go back to the area for a short break before christmas, and being associated with Chatsworth House implied that Shottle as going to be something special (and even with the weather) it really was.

Shottle Hall is beautiful. I understand from the owners that they undertook a lot of renovation work before opening the hotel, but it was really worth it. The room was clean, spacious and well furnished. with gorgeous views of the surrounding countryside. The food was delicious and promptly served. (I really cannot bear slow service.) And the staff and owners were all friendly and helpful, and unlike a lot of places nowadays, seemed busy with plenty to do.

We will definetley be returning in 2009.

• Liked — The location and service.
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was all plendid.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

My boyfriend treated me to a surprise weekend at Shottle Hall - and it was the most amazing weekend ever. The hall is gorgeous and from the moment I stepped into, felt like a princess. Advertised as a boutique hotel, it really fits the bill and the decoration is a very tasteful mix of classic, antique and modern. The art work is very interesting indeed.

We stayed in the Roccoco room, which was like a room designed for Marie Antoinette, four poster bed, stunning antique furniture, amazing views of the countryside and a HUGE modern bathroom.

We also had a delicious meal in the restaurant, it seemed like a real effort had been made to include local produce - and it really made the difference.

The only bad part of the weekend was having to leave - we will certainly be returning in the near future and have enquired about a wedding booking too!

• Liked — The stunning rooms and location
  • Disliked — That we had to go home after one night - I could have stayed forever!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Derby
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

Visited for an evening meal on a saturday night. Having looked forward to the evening we were all some what disappointed. We felt rushed to finish our pre dinner drinks. The bread rolls were very stale. No sooner had we finished our starters they were whipped away and our main course arrived. Our wine was not poured. One of the crayfish & advacado starters didn't have any advacado in it. It took 3 attempts to 3 different members of staff for this to register with anyone. The main courses were ok but nothing special.
Overall the evening was very rushed, I hadn't been to Shottle Hall before and I don't think I'll be visiting again. There are much better restaurants around the Belper area.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lincoln, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

we did not stay at the hotel ,as our family have been regular customers for the last 20 years.my mum/dad in law have many a fond memory of shottle hall knowing the previovs owners very well .they spent there 50th wedding annversary there staying overnight with all there family.so on the 60 th annversary ,they wanted to go to see what changers have been made .the service has gone from excellant to poor ,the stantard of quality of meats has gone from melt in your mouth to tough as old boots.we had stale rolls ,no butter ,no spoon with cray fish starter ,no lemon,on the menu it states salad in fact you get dressed rocket,balsanic vinegar seems to be on all starters like it or not,the waiter brought out our main course for 2 then returned 7/8 mins later with 2 more .when main course was finished he collected 2 plates then vanished for 10 mins. i dont know who there chef is but in the glossy write up they make out he is wonderful,well he must have had the night off as overall it was over priced and you would get far better service on the m1 ,and better quality food at the local pub or macdonalds. it did mar the evening but we had 2 lovely people remembering all the wonderful times they had there,something they could not spoil.

• Disliked — over priced
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

I was very much looking forward to my stay at Shottle hall as the website looks great – unfortunately the hotel does not match up to the website. The rooms are large and well proportioned but sparsely and cheaply furnished. We booked the top category room but, to give you an example, our bathroom had a wonderful traditional roll top bath, however the total effect was ruined by the cheap lino flooring and dead flies on the window sill. There were cobwebs on the frame of our four poster bed and my husbands pillow case had black marks on it. The wardrobe was shallow so to fit in clothes they had to be hung at an angle. Channel 4 did not work on the television. The ‘library’ downstairs had fake books on the shelves and the decor of the restaurant was hideous and vulgar with harsh lighting and lurid artwork in what could potentially be a lovely room.
Beware of the offer of a dinner package – it turns out the dinner allowance is £25 per head but the restaurant prices make it impossible to keep in this budget as the main courses average £20 and starters are over £5. The £25 limit might be achievable if you had a vegetarian option and glass of tapwater and a coffee.
The owners were very pleasant and agreeable when we checked out a day early and I really hope they manage to get things right at the hotel as it has potential but misses the mark currently. The prices are top whack with rooms over £200 per night which inevitably creates an certain expectation that is sadly not met in any way.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Shottle Hall? Share your experiences!