“Fantastic little place - ignore bad reviews!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dannah Farm Country House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shottle
Dannah Farm Country House
You added Dannah Farm Country House to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Bowmans Lane, Shottle DE56 2DR , England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Shottle B&B and Inns
Birmingham,UK
“Fantastic little place - ignore bad reviews!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

After reading the reviews on here (after I had booked to stay here with my boyfriend for his birthday) I was a little worried about what we might find. I really didnt need to be.

This place is fantastic. We stayed in the Studio hideaway which is one of the most stunning rooms I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. The private hot tub is to die for and I could have stayed in here all day. The room is fairly small with an iron spirral staiway up to the bedroom - but it is perfect. The bathroom is lovely, with soft fresh towels and lovely bathrobes. The shower is amazing and very large!

Lots of people have made comments about the staff being rude. From my experience they were all very polite. One thing they do well is respect your privacy. Now we were not here to have indepth chats with the staff, if we were, maybe we would have been disappointed. If you are coming to a place like this, I would think you would want to enjoy your room and the surroundings rather than being concerned about how the staff are behaving.

One more thing - breakfast is gorgeous!!

WE WILL be staying here again, we had a lovely, relaxing little break and this place is just perfect.

• Liked — The stunning studio hideaway and private hot tub
  • Disliked — No food served on a Sunday evening - although we fully understand they need a night off
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

After reading a few of the previous reviews for the Dannah Farm, I thought i had would write a few of my own observations.

I think maybe that a few people leaving comments may have forgot that the Dannah farm is infact just a bed and breakfast. And if you are looking for the kind of big city 5 star hotel where the staff are more than happy to help you whilst you use the toilet and probably lend a hand in the cleaning process afterwards then you wont find it here.

What you will find is, very polite staff who respect your privacy.
Excellent feature rooms, we stayed in the redroom which was very comfortable.
All set in a beautiful location in a stunning building.

The breakfast was great. Starting with cereals, then to home made bread/toast with an array of jam and marmalade. Then a traditional English breakfast, cooked excellently. My wife whom is very picky about food thoroughly enjoyed it.
I had better be clear (after reading a previous review) that no, you dont get 'baked beans', but then why would you on a traditional breakfast?

A quick tip for anyone thinking of stopping at the Dannah, is book a table to eat at the Bear.. Fantastic food.
Maybe a little tip for the owners of Dannah, it would be nice maybe that you offered to ring to book a table for guests?

Thats about it , we really enjoyed our stay, and im sure we shall return sometime .

• Liked — Luxury
  • Disliked — Not a lot not to like!... No beans on the breakfast, ha ha!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

On arrival I was abruptly asked my name and when I gave it the woman checked her hand-written list and said 'Nope you're not stopping here'. We were, as it happens, and she had just mis-read her list, but it was as if right from the start she either disliked the look of us personally or has a habit of greeting all guests in such an unwelcoming way. We were there for two nights and after the first we got up to have showers in the morning. Shower was not working and so we had to make do with a cramped tub (deep but not long enough to stretch legs out at all) I couldn't wash my hair as I couldn't lie down and so my partner had to pour cups of water over my head to get my hair wet! We told the management and then went out for the day to allow the problem to be fixed. On our return there was a note in the room saying "problem couldn't be fixed without a plumber and therefore would not be fixed during (y)our stay" We were staying in a premium/feature room at £140 a night. No room change or help with the situation was offered at all (despite there being a sauna that is hired out - could we not have had access to have a shower?) We went the whole weekend without a shower on a supposed 'luxury 5 star break'. Come Sunday I was actually relieved to be heading home so that I could get clean and not feel so unwelcome and out of place! When we asked for a reduction in view of the fact we hadn't had a shower we were flatly refused by Martin who even implied it was our fault the shower wasn't working in the first place. I left feeling bitterly disappointed that my hard-earned cash had been so effortlessly earnt by a couple who clearly do not have their priorities right in terms of customer satisfaction. In the end they will lose out through this though because I certainly shall not be returning and will not recommend it to others either.

Stayed February 2008
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2007

So - we stayed at Dannah Farm for my partner's birthday weekend in October and found the experience very disappointing and impersonal and completely over priced for what we got.

We were keen to find a decent B&B in the Peak District which could accommodate 4 persons in the one apartment - for this purpose Dannah is great as the 2 bedroom apartment we stayed in was perfect for our needs. Having completed our stay I just feel that the price at £250 per night was very steep considering the detached and disinterested attitude of the staff.

On our arrival we were met with a curt "And the name is...?" from one of the staff - not welcoming, not warm in any way. I say one of the staff because we never actually met our hosts during the entire stay - for a £500 weekend visit at a charming country B&B you would at least like to feel that you are being welcomed into the farm and that there would be some engagement from the staff. It seemed to me that there were lots of staff - people working in the kitchen and around the place, but no one ever introduced themselves not once. It was only on the last day at check out that Martin was called from the kitchen to finalise my bill. And even then he only managed a few short sentences as I handed over £420. Our other host Joan (?) might have been one of the other nameless women who served me at breakfast or passed me in the yard - I will never know as we were introduced.

As I said, the room was fine - with lots of nice touches however the decor was a little bit over the top for my taste. Too much country bric-a-brac extracted from the chintz mines of Derbyshire - but that's a personal thing. We also had bad luck with a dinner at the Red Lion as recommended by Dannah. It was not a great meal, in fact three of our party found the food almost inedible. I wish I had read the review of The Bear as that sounds like a better option.

There is a lot of helpful information provided by the accommodation in a very efficient manner - in fact the "bible" or Book of Rules in the apartment was a bit over the top. Lots of don't do this and we don't allow that. We brought our own wine on the first night also - to celebrate the birthday with a glass of wine. We were advised that this was against the rules - and I think that's fine but I really think that should be made clearer on the website as we were just embarassed when the situation arose. In a supposed 5-star establishment (and for a £500 weekend stay) I want to feel like I can relax and unwind during my stay - not report to the Teacher for disobedience. I know other guests felt like this also - we discussed the situation in the lounge, speaking in hushed tones so that we would not be heard by the management. It was quite funny and pathetic at the same time.

For me, I think that's the problem - management. The owners run this place like an efficient business and in this way you feel like a client or a contractor rather than a guest a lovely country property. I found the experience cold and detached - not welcoming and warm. And for what we paid I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some interaction from your host - just to go out fo their way and say welcome, and thank you for staying or come to the table at breakfast and say "are you enjoying your stay?" etc.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

I was very much looking forward to the good old country hospitality promised by this five star farmhouse luxury B&B. Alas – did not meet the owners at all, not even sure who they were – or where. This place felt very much like it was being run to fleece the travellers. There was a hefty rule book in the over-decorated and cramped living room of our “cottage” to make certain that we understood our place as guests well and truly.

I could go on and on about the sub-standard conditions of this place but the more important question is – how on earth can this fusty, crowded and unfriendly place call itself “five-star” – BEWARE – all is not as it seems. If you can find somewhere else to stay in the lovely Peak District – do so! Final word of warning – do not try and ask for anything out of the ordinary as it causes a terrible fuss.

Sorry, Dannah Farm, perhaps you are better dealing with livestock. All the best!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Shifnal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

Dannah Farm was recommended to me by the groom of the wedding i attended on friday 14/9, the wedding guests were travelling from all over the uk and europe and were accomodated in many of the outer lying areas of Shottle, i called the Dannah Farm after having reviewed the other B&Bs, on seeing the beautiful location and the rooms available i felt that this was the place for me. On arrival i was greeted by a very helpful young lady who showed me to my room (the Garden room) and offered fresh tea/coffee, this was accompanied by a plate of various goodies and homemade cakes, the room was outstanding, the decor truely tranquil, and the facilites boundless, wireless broadband, dvd player, cd/radio, senseo coffee machine, iron, hairdryer, clothes brush and the bathroom, well, the spa bath is fabulous, my thurday evening arrival was faultless, and very relaxing after the harresing drive. Breakfast friday morning was excellent, 2 fried eggs and fresh mushrooms served piping hot with a huge pot of coffee and very friendly staff , i had requested no chambermaid service until 2pm (wedding time) and this was duly given to me with no interuptions (apart from a bit of a laugh witht the window cleaner), this morning (feeling slightly hung over!) the service was equally as helpfull, with yet again a good breakfast. This is a B&B with a difference, i would recommend the Dannah Farm to anyone looking for a quiet, peaceful couple of days in the Derbyshire countryside. I look forward to my next occasion to stay. Best Wishes to Mr & Mrs Slack for all their help and hospitality.

• Liked — The Garden Room and the views
  • Disliked — the narrow lanes to the farm in the dark!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

On arriving we were shown to our room which, for reference, was the Garden Room. The owner offered us tea, cake and biscuits in our room or in the lounge.

The room was as advertised on their web-site. There were the extras one would expect. Also the room contained a flat screen TV with a DVD player. There were a selection of DVDs in the lounge which were brought to our attention when we were shown around. Considering the rain during the weekend that was a useful addition. There were also plenty of books and magazines available. The spa bath was excellent and not like some so called spa baths that I have used at other places.

Breakfast was excellent and to conclude, for the price, we thought Dannah Farm was good value for money.

One has to summise that the people that have given Dannah Farm poor reviews had personal issues that need resolving!

We found all staff friendly and welcoming. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Dannah Farm Country House? Share your experiences!