“A GREAT PLACE TO STAY” 4 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN PREMIER Yew Lodge Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Packington Hill, Kegworth DE74 2DF, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kegworth
United Kingdom
“A GREAT PLACE TO STAY”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We chose this Hotel to stay prior to going to see the Motor Racing at Castle Donnington .
Although it is slightly further away than some other budget hotels serving the course and the airport, it was well worth the extra couple of miles.
It was comfortable with a friendly and helpful staff, epitomised by Amy in the restaurant.
Well worth considering if you are going to the course, or flying from East Midlands Airport.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
GMYewLodge, Manager at BEST WESTERN PREMIER Yew Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Simplesimon_13

Thank you for your review after your recent stay while visiting the track. I am pleased you came slightly further away from the track to try us and extremely happy that you found it well worth the extra miles.

I will pass your comment on to Amy who will be thrilled that she was mentioned.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the close future.

Chris.trow@yewlodgehotel.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

A fantastic way to start the holiday great service great food ,very knowledgable staff on the desk ,great shuttle service to the nearby airport both going and return.
Five star service and staff with safe car parking without Five star cost brilliant

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Simon J

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review after your recent five star experience.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Penzance, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We were working and the hotel was very helpful in providing the environment we required. They provided a meeting room on several occasions. Suzanne's service, with our lunch order, was exceptional. Many thanks, Suzanne.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
GMYewLodge, Manager at BEST WESTERN PREMIER Yew Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Paul D

Thank you for your lovely review after your lunch experience.

I am pleased to read that Suzanne looked after you well and I will ensure she is made aware.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We visited this hotel with Gardiners Coaches from 28/03/14 until 30/03/14, for a Mother’s Day weekend break. At first glance the hotel looked nice, however looks can be deceiving.

The room looked clean and tidy, but then we noticed a large hole in one of the hand towels, whilst using them. There was also a hole in one of the sheets (which would have been very obvious to whoever made up the beds). Not the standard you would expect from a 4 star hotel). The rooms would also benefit from triple glazing, due to the close proximity to East Midlands Airport. The aeroplanes fly over on a regular basis, so you should remember to take your ear plugs!

Our coach party were treated as if we were second class guests. The men who were covering the booking in desk for the restaurant were not organised and did not have details of our booking (even though we were asked at reception to give them a time for our evening meal). It appeared to be a chore for them to deal with us. One man said “oh you must be with the coach party” in a very derogatory manner. Not a very nice welcome. We were placed in a side room for our meals where the service was extremely slow. The waiting staff kept forgetting about us. They said it was because they were busy. The food was not a very good standard; cold, raw, hard vegetables which were the same variety for both nights. Some of the food was not cooked properly (one lady had to send back her salmon as it was totally raw, another lady left her chicken starter as it was still pink). The desserts were very poor and they were hardly worth having when you saw the size of the portions.

The worse part of our stay however was the Mother’s Day Lunch on Sunday 31/03/14. It was supposed to be one of the highlights of our stay. We were placed in another side room (which was clearly used for business meetings or conferences) where they had made no effort whatsoever to make it special. It was set up as one large table and had no decoration, no flowers and no music (not even a CD playing background tunes) and only 4 bottles of warm water between 22 people. The menu choice was poor and some of the food was inedible (the mushroom tagliatelle was drowning in mustard, and the chocolate tart was far too bitter to eat).

To add insult to injury there were adverts for the hotel restaurant’s special Mother’s Day lunch (a three course lunch with music by a guitarist and a special gift for each mother). Our mothers were not made to feel special in any way.

When I complained about our stay, our overall poor treatment and the disappointing lunch, the receptionist said she would get the manager to come and speak to me. I said it didn’t matter as he would not be able to do anything about it. The receptionist was insistent that she would phone him and that the manager would come and speak to me. When I asked a little while later where he was, she replied that he had passed through the reception, but something important had cropped up. That just about summed up our stay: we were not important!?! I hope the staff and management treat their other guests with better care, manners and attention. They are clearly not used to dealing with coach party holidays.

One lady on our trip was sick at the service station stop on the way home. Also my mother felt ill throughout the journey and had severe diarrhoea all night on Sunday (they had not eaten the same meal, so we are not sure what caused their illness). I just hope the other members of our party had better luck and that they did not suffer after eating their “special” lunch.

Room Tip: I heard that the rooms on the first floor were a better standard than the rooms on the thrid floor...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Julie h

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor and not contacting the hotel direct.

I am sorry to read that you were unhappy after your organised coach stop. We regularly have coaches use us and the companies do always return due to the level of service they receive, on this occasion I am sorry you felt this was not the case.

I can assure you at no point the team would have thought you were second class and I am disappointed to read that you thought you were treated like this. With regards to the mothers day lunch we did have live music and a gift for the mothers however this was something that was totally separate to the coach party along with something that was not organised by your tour operator nor promised to the coach operator.
I did speak to the tour operator regarding this and he did understand, I did say I would happily contact the guests to explain the same; however I was not given any details to do this so unfortunately this was not possible.
I am also sorry to learn that some of the guests were not well after the lunch on the journey home, the food itself all came from the same kitchen as the other 180 dinners and we have had no other issues, so I do feel this is coincidental and not a food related issue as stated in your review.

I will review as to what happened regarding the Manager not seeing you when requested, this is most unusual and something I will investigate.

If you would like to discuss things further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel direct.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

With an very early morning departure from East Midlands Airport I booked two rooms for the previous night with parking for the week. I also took advantage of a special dinner offer. The hotel is lovely with great character as was our bedroom. The staff were great and very patient with a raucous three year old in our party. Dinner was one of the best meals I have had in a long time and was a great credit to the Chef. It was worthy of an entry in a MasterChef class. We did not book in for breakfast, so cannot comment on that, but apart from one person with a loud voice in the corridor at about 10.30pm (not the hotel's fault), we did not hear any noise, but this was as Sunday night, so no wedding parties. Only down side was the early morning call was two hours early, so perhaps best not to book one and relay on your own mobile phone to wake you. Would certainly book there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
GMYewLodge, Manager at BEST WESTERN PREMIER Yew Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear ossie007

Thank you for lovely review of the hotel.

We are pleased that you and your family had a pleasant stay and that we surprised you with our service. I will make sure the chef sees the comments regarding the food.

I am sorry to read that your early morning call was early, I will speak to the reception team and ensure more attention is paid.

Thank you for your time reviewing the hotel.

Algiers, Algeria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

small hotel in small town, pretty run of the mill. Usual fry-up breakfast and was hosting a regional trade event and a wedding the one day I was there. Close to the bus stop for access to Loughborough and Derby and the airport. Best Western refuse to award loyalty points on a BW or a Miles and More Card unless you book direct with them - very petty and left me grumbling.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Chris F

Thank you for your recent review.

I am sorry you do not agree with the terms and conditions of the reward system. To gain the rewards all we ask is you book direct with the hotel not with any travel agents or online booking websites. The prices on these other sites are the same as booking direct, you then get the rewards.

I am pleased that this was the only negative and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Louth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

we stayed at the yew lodge hotel for one night after a days marshaling at donington park, unfortunately i due to a late finish at the track we did not get to the hotel until after 8pm and had to park up the road away from the hotel because the carpark was full, due to functions going on at the hotel. i mentioned this on check in and they offered to get the night porter to move the car into the carpark later. the staff are happy and seem pleased to help you. we stayed in room 233 which is a nice size twin room with a sofa, the room was spotless the beds were comfy with decent pillows, we had eaten before we arrived so did not try an evening meal but did use the bar and found that they served my favourite cider on tap, i had a good nights sleep apart from a few noisy guest that seem to think because they were up at 4am then everyone else in the hotel should be as well. we went down for breakfast at 7 where there was an amazing selection of food to choose from i went for a full english breakfast, which was very tasty, but due to the plates being stone cold the food was cold by the time i sat down to eat it.

I definitely would stay again over all i was very impressed with the hotel and the staff, it definitely deserves the Best Western premier rating that it has.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Simon G

Thank you for your recent great review after visiting Donington Park.

I am sorry to read that the car park was full upon arrival however I am pleased the team offered to assist you with other options.

I have passed your comment on to the team regarding the plates and they will review this and ensure the procedures are in place to have hot plates.

Thank you for your feedback.

Chris.trow@yewlodgehotel.co.uk

Been to BEST WESTERN PREMIER Yew Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!