“Not the Best in this chain!” 3 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN PREMIER Yew Lodge Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Packington Hill, Kegworth DE74 2DF, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kegworth
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Not the Best in this chain!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and although it's a fairly comfortable hotel, I was very disappointed due to the fact that because there was a wedding on, the dinner menu was drastically reduced on my first evening and we had to eat in a conference meeting room....then, on my 2nd night, when there was a full menu to choose from, they had no fillet steak available....the quality of the food was inconsistent....the lamb was gorgeous but was gone in 2 mouthfuls, my wife's sea bass was meagre and her rice was sloppy and very salty! If I hadn't have paid in advance, I certainly wouldn't have dined on the 2nd night! However, the breakfast was delicious, even if we did have to queue up for a table....I stayed on the 3rd floor and sleeping was very uncomfortable due to the room being so hot! We couldn't have the windows open due to the noise of the air con units that were situated directly outside our window. The beds were old and very saggy! The room was clean though. We enjoyed the gym and the spa.....The Red Lion pub located a few hundred yards away was a great place to sample some decent ales! I would stay here again, but wouldn't book for dinner as it doesn't represent value for money! I definitely felt short changed.

Room Tip: Locate on the front.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GMYewLodge, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PREMIER Yew Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear willsndakes

Thank you for your great review of the hotel.

I am sorry to read you were disappointed after your stay this weekend.

I have passed your comments on to the chef in regards the menu selection on the 2nd night that no fillet was available from the menu.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Stockport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We enjoyed the food, this was to a very high standard. The rooms were comfortable and we slept pretty well.
Breakfast was buffet style and something for everyone. The staff in the restaurant were great! There was a re arrangement with the rooms due to a wedding but the staff remained cheerful and had a fab sense of humour, nothing was too much trouble for anyone.
The pool is very small, the sauna was lovely.
Very clean hotel and decor was fresh and modern.
Would thoroughly recommend. We stayed on a KGB offer break and saved around £370 with this deal :-)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Angela W

Thank you for your great review of the hotel.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your 2 night break from KGB and found it great value.

I will pass your kind comments on to the staff about being cheerful.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Having never been to Derby before we did not know what to expect. We booked over the telephone explained my wife had mobility problems they soon sorted everything out. On arrival greeted with a smile and allocated our room and was pleasantly surprised that it was a nice comfortable room. Soon found our way around the hotel as we were there to support the Chris Green Project who were in the finals of the Listeners Club Award. The hotel could not do enough to ensure satisfaction for everyone. Dinner was served for around 60 people the food was well presented and hot. So overall we had good hotel,food and Country music for us it was a perfect Saturday evening and well worth the 350 mile round journey.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear anthony70_11

Thank you for your great review of the hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed your event and also the attention you needed for your mobility requirements.

I am pleased that you found our attention for the event was good and we look forward to welcoming you back again the near future.

Forlì, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I booked a group stay here and had no complaints from anyone. The rooms were nice and spacious and very clean. The staff were friendly, efficient and helpful whenever we needed anything. Full access to the spa and pool is great - especially as it opens early in the morning and closes late in the evening. Breakfast was abundant and the staff were very good at keeping everything topped up. We didn't eat in the restaurant but once we had an afternoon tea which was surprisingly good! This hotel is in a great location for Donington Park Circuit and East Midlands Airport and is a lot nicer than some of the impersonal chain hotels at the airport site.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jessica G

Thank you for your lovely review of the hotel.

I am pleased you and your group enjoyed your stay with us and found us much more personal than our local competitors.

Our location is great for airport and Donington Park.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Met some friends here for dinner tonight. I've stayed and eaten here on several occasions in the past, but unfortunately I was bitterly disappointed this evening. I ordered salmon fillet for main course, and what arrived was a tiny piece of thin salmon fillet (probably just less than half the size. A thin normal fillet), rested on a few salad leaves and accompanied by a cold scotch egg. No veg or potatoes, so for a hefty £17 it was extremely poor value! The salmon was also quite bland and uninspiring. I had 3 cheeses for desert. Again, the portion size was very small and at £5, I didn't consider it great value. The 2 main courses that my friends had - seabass and lamb were also very small. I didn't mention anything to the waiter, as my friend was paying so didnt want to offend. I will definelty not be eating in the restaurant again,. The only positive was that the staff were very friendly and service was very good. Just a shame about the standard of the food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear lyn17

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal. I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and the serve good, if in future you are not happy with you meal, please do mention it to the team so they can rectify the issue and ensure you leave satisfied.

Mirfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on a two night gourmet break.
Our check in was speedy and pleasant, the car park was busy but we had no problem finding a suitable parking spot.
We stayed in room 334 which seemed to be at the end of a very long corridor, we soon found the short cut to reception and used this for the rest of our stay.
Our room was very comfortable and had a nice hospitality tray selection and the bathroom was well stocked with toiletries.
Included in our stay was tea and cakes on arrival, the cakes were absolutely delicious and can be recommended.
We really enjoyed the gourmet meal and liked the quirky twist on traditional favourites.
As others have said the hotel team are really pleasant, helpful and approachable, and everyone had a smile.
The spa was good although we had a slight mix up with the changing rooms, for maintenance reasons the ladies were using the men's and vice versa. Ok but the signs dropped off the door and this caused confusion! Soon sorted and it made us giggle.

Overall the hotel was good and we would have given it 5 stars, but we were awakened on both nights by intermittent alarms apparently this was down to the phone lines resetting. However we were pleased to hear this is something the hotel is dealing with and should not be a problem in the future.
As the hotel was busy, there was quite a wait for breakfast on both mornings and we were seated in the bar until a table became free. The wait wasn't a problem but we were conscious breakfast finished at 10am which with the wait didnt give us much time to eat our meal. By the time we waited for buffet stocks to be replenished, and we physically chose our breakfast, the staff were asking us if we wanted anything else from the buffet as they wanted to clear it away. It was a shame as the anticipated leisurely breakfast was anything but.

Value for money was excellent, and we were looking at the upcoming special offers and events. We said we would like to return but would probably choose a mid week break when the hotel would perhaps be a little less crowded. We enjoyed seeing the lovely wedding outfits though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear foxyMirfield

Thank you for your review of the hotel after your spa break.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay; I do apologises the signs fell down on the changing rooms causing confusion. I do hope this did not cause too much of an issue.

The telephone issue is as I reply being sorted. I do apologise for this but we are dealing with it now.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My friend and I chose the Yew Lodge for a Spa break to enjoy a catch up away from children and husbands, even though it is only 15 minutes from home!

I've thought hard about whether to rate our experience "very good" or "average". Average seems a tad harsh but very good doesn't sit comfortably either. Our experience in the spa was very good, the hotel was very good, the restaurant experience I have to say was average. So this is almost two separate reviews.

Get the negative out of the way so I can finish the review on a positive which I think this establishment deserves.

We reserved a table for dinner at the time of booking the hotel. Alarm bells rang when I saw that the steak on the menu was 6oz but £21 and my fears were confirmed. Nothing on the starters really grabbed my attention so opted for the chicken and tarragon ravioli. Underneath that, the menu simply said, langoustine, bisque, mango & chilli. Not being a fan of fruit in any part of a meal other than dessert I asked the waiter to explain. He was foreign so maybe there was confusion in translation but my understanding from him was it was a selection of ravioli containing each of the ingredients, so I thought I'd go with that and not eat the mango one. When it arrived it was one small ravioli of chicken and tarrogan in a sauce containing the other ingredients, smothered over it, which had been my initial concern. Needless to say, I did not enjoy it. I also found the ravioli rather chewy. Waiter asked if I liked it and I replied in a friendly manner, not really my thing. He promised to make it up to us with the main course and I have to say after that, he didn't come near our table and when he seated us at breakfast he was very unfriendly.

My friend had the mini fish and chip experience: a tiny cone of "chips", a minute battered sausage and fish and a tiny pickled egg. Very cute, very arty (we took a photo), nothing to eat to speak of.

We both opted for the fillet steak and chunky chips as we were starving after a day in the spa and it arrived with 8 chips, no side salad/veg. Possibly should have read the menu better and realised that was all we were getting. Friend had steak medium, me rare. When the food arrived we were asked who was having medium, friend replied she was and plates were put down on the table. Steak was tasty enough, but at the end of the meal I looked across and realised there was blood on friends plate, none on mine so clearly we'd been given the wrong meals. At least it proved my friend can cope with a rare steak!

Opted against dessert as we decided it was likely to be more small portions which would leave us disappointed so went into the bar and had crisps!! £52 and still hungry, not a great advert.

Positives:

Spa staff were very friendly. Lovely, clean spa environment. Pool is possibly a bit small and there are only two sun loungers which two other girls put their towels on as soon as they arrived in true Brit style! The lunch in the Spa I have to say was brilliant, great selection of sandwiches, fresh salad, bowl of fruit and scone with cream and jam. A total contrast to the later eating experience!

We upgraded to have an hours treatment and both opted for the full body massage and it was probably the best massage I've ever had. Given that it's so close to home I will be going back for treatments in future. I think the massage made the weekend!

The hotel itself is lovely, our room was large with two very comfortable single beds and a really clean recently modernised bathroom. The confusing part though was that the water pressure in the showers in the changing rooms was very strong, whereas we had a trickle from the shower in the room. I'm a girl - no idea how that works!

So overall a great break, but I would in future eat at Jee Ja Jees around the corner if I were staying there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear travellinggirlUK

Thank you for your review of the hotel after your spa break.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy the menu experience in the restaurant; I have passed your comments on to the food and beverage manager for him to review.

I am pleased you enjoyed the spa area and found the girls lovely. I will ensure they are made aware of this.

Hotel Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN PREMIER Yew Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!