1. The first thing that hit us was an all-pervading smell of frying, which was not a good start.
2. The free wi-fi didn't work, despite apparently having been recently upgraded, on either my wife's or my smartphone, or a notebook computer. The receptionist was very good and let us try in another room but to no avail anywhere, including the public areas of the hotel.
3. The open well in the foyer is a bit of a hazard. It has a solid metal grid over it so children (or adults) could not possibly fall in. However, the receptionist regaled us with stories of phones, handbags and car keys which had fallen in, which must have caused very serious annoyance (to say the least) and problems for those who lost the items. I would feel happier with a clear and strong cover (specialist glass or plastic) to prevent items falling in - or the hotel should provide an immediately available retrieval service for fallen items.
4. The room was superficially OK, if a little faded. The stone (or maybe concrete) surrounding to the two windows in the bedroom and one in the bathroom were covered in black slime, which appeared to be mould and was very unsightly and unattractive. I have photos if anyone wants to see them. Apart from that, the room was adequately comfortable and warm but definitely in need of attention to various details - the seal round the edge of the bath, for example. New more luxurious towels would be nice as well.
5. At breakfast, we asked to move to a larger table, as we had friends also staying at the hotel and wanted to eat with them. The waitress showed us to another table. In the centre of the rather crumpled tablecloth was a largish and very noticeable red wine stain, which the waitress did not seem to see, until we asked for it to be replaced with clean linen. In the event, she showed us to another table. The breakfast itself was perfectly satisfactory.
So, all in all, a disappointment and not a cheap one. Given the location and the general scope of the buildings, with a little (well, probably quite a lot) general sprucing up and attention to detail, it could be excellent. We shall not be going back unless and until we have been reassured on these points.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Thank you for itemising your areas of concern following your visit. I will do my best to respond to the issues raised.
Report response as inappropriate
1. We do use fryers to produce our famous beer battered fish and chips. Our high powered extractors do remove most of the associated smell efficiently.
2. The FREE WiFi has indeed been upgraded and we are looking to offer 10mg broadband in the next few months. We did have slight hiccups initially but these have been resolved.
3. Our 96' deep well is a feature we are very proud of. Whilst some inebriated guests have lost items down there, we like to think the majority of our customers are sensible and can enjoy the feature without the need to cover it over.
4. It is a constant battle to maintain the stonework and our Housekeepers have been instructed to monitor and action this on a more regular basis.
5. Dirty/crumpled linen is inexcusable and staff have been given further training to prevent a reoccurance.
We are currently getting towards the end of our building/refurbishment project which has tackled selected bedrooms, corridors and customer washrooms. Further work is planned for 2014.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.