“Excellent food in gorgeous surroundings.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of George's

George's
The George Hotel | Main Street, Hathersage, Peak District National Park, England
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 17 Restaurants in Hathersage
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Hope Valley, United Kingdom
“Excellent food in gorgeous surroundings.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Very comfortable, luxurious restaurant, great food and good service. Highly recommended. One of our favourite restaurants.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Eyam
“Stunning food, great service, best locally.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I went for an impromptu dinner, as we live in the next village. The George (linked to the Cavendish at Baslow) has always had a strong reputation but, to be honest, we hadn't been for well over a year. Our mistake, which we will not be repeating.
The bar area has a warm and relaxing atmosphere, all subdued lighting, country charm and deep sofas. Perfect for an autumnal evening.
Staff attitudes from front of house to table were friendly, helpful and well informed. The waiter really did know the wine and we agreed that the wine I chose was robust enough for my wife's steak and not too full bodied for my chicken!
The food was very high quality and - huge issue for me - appropriate sized portions. I HATE being over faced with huge portions that reflect the British obsession with quantity over quality.
My starter was a delicate square of soft belly pork with a well crisped crackling, two perfectly cooked and wobbly Queen scallops and a black pudding foam. A classic, but as a genuine starter, not huge slabs of protein and blood pudding that leave you contemplating how you can manage the next course and how long does it take to find a cardiologist this far into Derbyshire. (Probably not very long as half of Sheffield's NHS staff live in Hathersage).
Main course of chicken breast with a parsnip purée, boned and roasted wings was very good.
We a plate of cheese to follow. Only niggle - the only accompaniment was four slices of fruit bread. Personally I prefer oatcakes or plain bread. And the cheeses were great quality, BUT while not completely chilled neither were they at room temperature.
They also have over 40 malt whiskies, so that finished off a great evening out.
All in all, great fine dining and certainly the best for many miles.

“very romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

my husband booked us in here as a surprise for our anniversary in february. the room was nice and cosy. the bar was lovely and luxurious. My highlight was the food. evening meal was wonderful and imaginative. i have copied the menu i had a few times for dinner parties. for brekkie i had scrambled eggs and smoked salmon... it was the nicest i've ever had.... i know you probably think there isnt much too it but it think they use the very best ingredients.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic- warm- luxurious- very very friendly.-READ THIS REVIEW.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I were in the area camping, I'm an ex paratrooper and she is new to camping.
We walked 17 miles across stanage and ended up firstly at the little John hotel, read my review of that place.... Keepers keepers (would like to swear a bit about that pub) anyway, we walked into the George thinking we would be kicked out immediately as we were in hiking gear and everyone else was in tailored suits ( to match the seriously beautiful and well appointed surrounding, to be fair guys, it's really really stunning inside, full credit to the owners)

Being a bit weather beaten and 'hikey' I asked the polish lady on reception "I think we are in the wrong place really, but we just fancy a nice beer" to which she said, "you are more than welcome, please, the bar is behind you, you must sit down and enjoy our hospitality"

Genuinely, hot, tired and scruffy as we felt, the staff were enormously accommodating and so genuinely friendly it was unbelievable.
We chatted candidly and light heatedly at the bar and felt like we were given a 5 star treatment.
Normally, as weather ready as we were I would have felt a bit self concious, it's only natural given that you are In a clean, high class and well appointed venue, but we were welcomed in.

Thankyou 'George' staff and management, you were genuinely accommodating, friendly and so incredibly welcoming and warm, and your establishment is a truly truly beautiful and obviously taken care of place.
Your staff are well trained and professional,yet warm, kind and real human beings, this is a clear indicator of true leadership from above and shows that you are real people from the real world and regardless of how someone is dressed, you treat everyone with the same warmth and genuine affection.

We were very very impressed and have recommended you highly to all for a smart, well presented and incredibly friendly location for a romantic weekend away or a special occasion.

Bravo!

Travellers, do not be afraid to venture in, this is easily the most welcome we have ever been made to feel, the staff and management really know how to run an establishment and we will absolutely. E back (better dressed I might add) for our anniversary.

Well done all! God bless.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellent Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The George is one of my favourite places to eat. We have been regulars at the George for some years and can honestly say that we have never been disappointed in the food, service or atmosphere. We would certainly recommend it if you enjoy fine dining .It is also a good place to drop in for a quiet drink too. The George has our highest recommendation.

• Visited August 2012