“Fantastic lunch, huge menu” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 17 Restaurants in Hathersage
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Fantastic lunch, huge menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I'm always a bit suspicious when I see massively long menus but the Scotsmans Pack didn't disappoint. We stopped off on the way to Castleton and had a great lunch. Hearty home cooked fare and a great pint. A lovely welcome to the Peaks.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

York, United Kingdom
“Good Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

called in for Sunday lunch having pre booked a table.
The menu choices were excellent with a wide variety (could argue too many choices) not only for meat eaters in our party but also for the "veggies" and children.
The generous portion meals and drinks were served by polite and attentive staff in what was a very busy restaurant area, they even asked if we needed more veg!!
Car park a little on the small side but plenty of room to park on the road just outside.
Very informal and catered for all tastes.
Well worth a visit

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Amazing cheeseburger! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I have just come from the Scotsmans Pack and was joyfully overwhelmed by the choice of food and beer. I was greeted by a friendly lady who explained the ales thoroughly. I went for a pedigree and finished it in 10 minutes! Having had a hearty breakfast I decided to approach the sandwich board. Although the fish finger sandwich appealed to me, I opted for the cheeseburger. I have been disappointed by a number of restaurants excuses of a burger so was slightly apprehensive. My concerns were unfounded. The burger arrived with stacks of homemade chips and onion rings cooked nice and crispy. I then attacked the burger. It was cooked perfectly, slightly pink in the middle with just the right amount cheese on top. Overall, the service was impeccable, the booze was amazing and the burger was the best I've tasted. I'll most certainly be back!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellent as always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Arrived without a booking at 2pm for lunch, three adults and two small children and were easily accommodated and looked after.

The food is first class with hearty man-sized portions! Ideal if you have been out walking on a cold winter day. I can't understand why reviewers complain about too much food; I would be more upset if there were too little :)

The menu is very extensive; in fact we photographed the specials board on a mobile phone in order to study it at our table as it was too long to memorise! An excellent selection of reasonably priced and wholesome food.

Service is fine...although as other reviewers have commented the staff never relate very warmly. Still on the whole people go there for a good meal rather than a relationship so I am still happy to give it 5 stars

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Lovely food - just a bit too much of it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

It's been a while since we went to Hathersage, but today the sun was shining and Derbyshire beckoned. After a wander round the church and village it was lunch time and so we settled ourselves into a cozy corner of the Scotsman's Pack to read the (rather long) menu.

Trouble is, there are also two boards of "Specials" - lots of choices, hot or cold. I'm always a bit suspicious when there is so much choice as so often this means lots of bought-in freezer-style food. As it happens, I didn't need to worry!

Anyway, I decided upon the fish pie (very good indeed, with smoked haddock, salmon and prawns in tasty sauce covered by cheesy mashed potato), which came with a dish of 6 different fresh vegetables - including more potato. It was all excellent, but I was defeated by the sheer quantity of food! I do have a good appetite, but I did feel a bit over faced and at £13.95 it was a bit expensive. I would be very happy with slightly smaller portions and correspondingly lower prices.

My husband was pleased to see so many interesting choices for vegetarians. He really enjoyed the mushrooms with halloumi, saute potatoes and chilli jam.

We'll certainly be back.