“Restaurant” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ye Olde Nags Head

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castleton
Ye Olde Nags Head
You added Ye Olde Nags Head to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Cross Street, Castleton, Peak District National Park S33 8WH, England   |
Ranked #7 of 14 Castleton B&B and Inns
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

We visited the restaurant during a day out in Castleton at Christmas. We may have had high expectations as the layout of the dining area looked really classy and the menu prices were not particularly cheap. We ordered battered fish with lemon wedges, hand cut chips on a bed of crushed peas, with home made tartare sauce. The meal arrived, it was small portions, which would not have been an issue if it was quality, however it was not. The fish was grey with dark bits, it came with no tartare sauce and no lemon. We pointed this out to the waitress who eventually returned with a slice of lemon and "sachets" of Heinz tartare. Chips were fine and the peas had a hint of garlic which was really nice. If we had ordered this from a two for one menu or 2 for a tenner it would have been acceptable but for £9 each it should have been better.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

I had a lovely stay at the ye olde nags head as a birthday treat! The rooms were clean and had a beautiful view. There was plenty to choose from on the menu and the food was delightful, I could of had seconds. I would without a doubt recommend this to hotel to my friends.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

having looked at the recent review of this place that must of been visited by a table of 6, i felt compelled to set the record straight. We dined at the same time as this table on the 6th and found the standard of food to be streets ahead of the standard of service. Both the waiting staff we met a greek or turkish man and an irish lady we very very rude and un-knolwageable about their jobs and the food. However the food was absolutly devine. We had the scallops and pidgion from the restaraunt menu and the duck with maple syrup glaze and the fillet steak off the the specials and restaraunt menu. Having been to many many rosetted hotels and michelin starred restaraunts the food was devine and on par with many of these places. In terms of texture, flavor and balance the dishes we expertly executed and the chocolate tart we had for dessert was out of this world. Yes my partner and I thought the service was appaulling, especially from the two managers perviously mentioned but with food as good as that you can almost forgive it. The restaraunt and bar are slightly tatty and in need of a lick of paint but nothing a small refurb wouldnt fix. and to the table of 6....toby carvery is probably more for you.....

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Chesterfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

Whilst visiting Castleton we booked a meal in the old nags head the service was dreadful, the menue we were shown first was the most expensive and could'nt be understood, the resturaunt staff were to pompus to explain this menue. When our meals finally arrived one meal was minus salad another was not what was described on the menue (Minus veg) When asked for the veg the lady who served said meal said " Veg is charged extra" and the final meal orderd (Fish & Chips) simple right, wrong came out 30 mins after the rest of our party had finished eating. after some negotiation we were refunded £40 this however could not possibly compensate for totaly ruining our evening. The upshot of all this is that whoever owns this business is allowing the staff to lose them a vast amount of money.
WE WILL NOT BE BACK.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

Great stay, albeit only for one night but that's because they were fully booked so they must be doing something right! Food was delicious, best I've had since I can remember! Waited a few minutes to get served each time but staff were polite and good choice of drinks and Ale for the hubby so he was happy! Not what I expected, thought it might be a bit too old fashioned for me but I was really surprised, bright modern wallpaper and artwork, stylish seats etc. The manager said they'd recently refurbed the downstairs and were doing upstairs soon but the room was still nice if a bit oldy worldy for me. First time in Castleton, would definitely visit again now! Well worth a look and nags is perfect base for exploring!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Sheffeild
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

I took my partner away for the weekend as a nice little treat :) but after reading the reviews on here i wasn't to sure and thought my boyfriend would hate it....but to my surprise it was the best place i have ever been to in the UK, we stay in the room Castleton with the jacuzzi bath and there was a lovely view from our window, the room was clean and smelt very fresh, when checking in the staff were very helpful and full of smiles.... i would definitely recommend!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
YORKSHIRE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

i must say i booked this hotel after going on the web site where everyrthing looked just as it used to several years ago when me n my hubbie used to frequent this place quite often for a short get away from it all.So i rang up and booked a one night stay sunday to monday £75 cheap i think at half the price B&B.Then went onto look at trip advisor to see some awfull blogs which had been writen i thought oh my GOD what av i done so i didnt tell my hubbie n we went anyway.Well just let me say they must have got a new lease of life because it was lovely ye a bit taty in places but not that bad i thought it was going to be AMITIVILLE HOUSE OF HORRORS judgin by revievs i had read not at all FRIENDLY SMILEY FACES ALL ROUND had to pay up first tho which is strange. Breakfast brilliant lovely waiter very efficient overall would go back thanks .

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Ye Olde Nags Head? Share your experiences!