“Pushy, smelly owner” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Pushy, smelly owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Sadly, I wish I'd read all the previous reviews before approaching this tea room. I concur with EVERY negative thing said about this place.

I will never return!

Visited April 2013

Derbyshire
“DO NOT ENTER”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Having had a lovely walk in Castleton I really fancied a lovely cup of tea. Unfortunately the Three Roofs Cafe where I would normally go was packed out, so were all the other cafes in Castleton. I decided to try the Hidden Tearoom because I had walked past it lots of times. Upon entering the room it smelt of unwashed clothes, it wasn't pleasant but since I was alone I decided to carry on up the stairs and just see what it was like. There was no-one apart from a large man, who was the owner. I asked for a cup of tea, his reply was, 'and a cake' I said no it's OK I only wanted a cake. He said 'I've cooked the scones fresh this morning'... I said, thank you but no. Then he started to say, 'we only serve drinks with cakes but by themselves'... since I was alone, I decided to have the scone with jam and cream. The tea was OK, although the teacup wasn't the cleanest I've seen. The score was clearly not cooked that morning and the cream smelt funny. Do not be fooled by the 'false advertising' on the main road about 'award winning scones'. They are certainly not that. When I came home, I decided to look on Trip Advisor - Oh how I'd looked BEFORE I'd parted with my money. PLUS, I urge you to read this:

Never ever ever again. This place should be shut down!!!!

• Visited March 2013
Luton, United Kingdom
“Dirty, bizarre, unpleasant so called tea room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Easily the most disappointing and overpriced 'cream tea' we have eaten. Do not be persuaded by 'a local' recommending this as a 'hidden gem, best in Castleton'. Hidden it may be but that is all.

• Visited March 2013
Stone, United Kingdom
“A little down at heel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

the scones were tasty, the tea good and the jam tasted homemade, the welcome friendly but the interior had definitely seen better days.

Visited March 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“AVOID! worst tea room ever.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Horrible proprietor. Rude, pushy, bitter and overcharged us. Food was overcooked. Salad was wilting. Place smelt dirty. How is he still in business and how did the Telegraph give him such a rave review in 2009? Wish I'd checked Trip Advisor before going here.