“A cracking old building” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 15 Restaurants in Castleton
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Castle - Castleton offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A cracking old building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

A good selection of real ales. Fairly average 'chain pub' type menu and food. Nice atmosphere. Various area's with open fires. Mostly geared up for diners. Nice beer garden too. Sadly, on the last couple of visits service has been very slow - the bar is often understaffed, so be patient.
Oh and they reckon to have several ghosts!

Visited January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Yorkshire, England
“Great staff, good ambience but poor food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I ate here on New Years Day evening. I had the vegetarian special which I believe was garlic and red pepper risotto ( around £8) and my partner had the braised belly pork (£11.99). The belly pork was tasty enough so I was told but the accompanying vegetables were very tired to say the least. My risotto had a 'skin' on it and was laid on a bed of limp spinach. Very disappointing to say the least with my risotto resembling the after affects of New Year's Eve (sorry but true).
It was a real shame because the all the staff were lovely from the bar to the waitress - all top notch.
I understand that the meals are pre-prepared off site and delivered chilled or frozen which can be fine but there are better alternatives at this price bracket. I wasn't expecting gourmet food but I was expecting a fair deal which I didn't get.
This is a shame because the Castle although modern still retains plenty of charm. The pub doesn't accept dogs and watch out for the black cat (which sunk its claws into my partner), I think it meant well ;-).
Although we haven't stayed at The Castle I understand they do great value offers of £50 per room during certain periods, complete with continental breakfast. I shall return to The Castle for a drink and perhaps to stay but will eat elsewhere.

england
“lovely food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

good service and lovely food, reasonably priced. the area lovely, in the heart of Carleton near other pubs and your quaint little shops

Visited January 2013
Yorkshire
“Christmas visit - product not the usual standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have done a visit for an unber of years to the Castle at Christmas time but not satisifed this time. The bar are was full of rowdy 'student' types who should not have been severed drinks.
The mulled wine and mince pie? Well the mulled wine was cold and when handed back to staff they microwaved it! The mince pie did not turn up!
A real shame because the rest of the evening was very nice. The food in the restaurant was reasonable and good value. It will not stop us going back or recommending just this time fell below the usual high standards

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had booked a meal on the Sunday before Christmas and arrived a bit early. The pub was very busy and we could not get to our table early so we managed to find a quiet corner to wait.
The meal was well worth waiting for, I had squid followed by venison. The squid was some of the best I have ever eaten in the uk.
We were pleasantly surprised by the food, the service and most of all by the total bill.

• Visited December 2012