“Great V4M but make sure you're toothbrush is nailed down!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fern Cottage

and 1 more site!
You added Fern Cottage to your Saves list
Fern Cottage
How Lane Castleton Hope Valley, Castleton, Peak District National Park S33 8WJ, England   |
Birmingham
“Great V4M but make sure you're toothbrush is nailed down!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Overall this is one of, if not THE cheapest place you will find to stay in Castleton, outside of the nearby Youth Hostel.

The welcome was very warm and I was made to feel at home. The owner has a very friendly Labrador who is sometimes overly affectionate so if you don’t like dogs you won’t be particularly pleased with her jumping up on you as she does.

My first impressions of the room were much better than I was expecting for such a very low price. I had a double bed, en suite shower-room etc which was OK. The place all looked clean and I had complimentary bottled water, biscuits, and Tea and Coffee making facilities, and a TV with freeview. The bed was very squeaky indeed but also very comfortable. All in all I was very happy….

On the second day I took breakfast elsewhere and went off walking with friends as planned, and upon walking back into a mobile phone signal area my phone had about 9 missed calls and several voicemails, all from the increasingly angry and agitated owner. Owing to a mistake by a third-party in the booking, the proprietor believed I was only staying for one night, and I had consequently done a runner with his door keys without paying my bill. This was in stark contrast to the information I had given his cleaner that very morning when I made it quite clear not to clean my room as I was staying for 2 nights.

The owner was very aggressive and shouting down the phone at me when I returned his call. He was not interested at all in hearing my side of the story and the fact I was now effectively ‘homeless’. When I returned to the hotel 45 minutes later to sort things out, the owner had got his cleaner to enter my room, pack up all my personal belongings into bags, and brought them downstairs which were dumped in a hallway where a very angry proprietor was waiting for his money. I truly felt like I had been VIOLATED! I was furious at this action especially as I had told the owner not to enter the room as I would be back in 45 minutes. In actual fact I had some personal items which were not packed away such as toothbrush and deodorant from the bathroom, so I had to purchase replacements. I am still not happy about this.

The situation was defused once I’d paid for the one night I stayed and the ‘new’ residents of the room I had booked for 2 nights arrived – the owner quickly reverted to his standard welcome spiel, but between the four of us and cleaner it was a very uncomfortable atmosphere. I even had the indignation of removing the room and door keys from my pocket and handing them to the next guests! (they probably thought “Blimey this place even provides complimentary deodorant and used toothbruthes!”)

I did manage to source alternative accommodation for the second evening but at great inconvenience to myself (slummed it in the Youth Hostel). On leaving, the proprietor did obviously feel a little bit of remorse for my situation and offered to let me crash on his settee with the stinky Labrador. I politely made my excuses and left. After all, if you lie down with the dogs, you wake up with the flees.

I played some of the voicemails the owner left me on speakerphone in the pub that night and my friends were howling with laughter at the language and level of aggression he used. “WHERE’S MY KEY?! WHERE’S MY BLOODY KEY?! GIVE ME MY KEY –NNNNOOOOOOOWWWWWW!”

Still, don’t be put off. For the money it’s a really good find and if I ever had major plastic surgery to change my appearance, I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

The bedroom and beds were clean. The owner was very hospitable but the combination of the unfortunate smell and a boiler in the bedroom means that we will not be returning.

Room Tip: Castle pub saved the day by providing excellent meal and apparently they have rooms..for next time w...
Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

We stayed for one night before popping off on the Limestone Way. The bed was a tad creaky and the saniflow system on the en-suite toilet was a bit noisy, however whilst a bit basic, it was neat, clean and the owner friendly (and his dog very friendly and welcoming!) It is cheaper than most of the local B&Bs but if you want luxury, pay more!

It was a bit cheaper than most places in the area which reflects on the facilities.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Hull, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

I read lots of reviews before we decided to book this hotel and felt very worried before we arrived what we was going to be faced with. I have to say this accommodation has a perfect location right in the heart of castleton village. We stayed in the family room which was clean, fresh and had everything we needed for our two night stay. We stayed out of season so the other rooms were vacant so we had a little look and they also looked clean.
The owner Keith is not the best host in the world as we only saw him once but it made us smile! Keith has a labrador so if you dont like dogs then maybe not for you.
I did go with a group of friends so was perfect for that and groups, if I was going with my boyfriend for a romantic break then maybe not perfect but well worth the money

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Needed a quick place to stay overnight prior to a hike up Mam Tor. Didn't bother looking at any reviews (now I see I'm the first) and slightly regret it. Facilities were good (en-suite shower, flat-screen TV, tea/coffee maker and biscuits and bottled water in the room and a good Wifi connection. The house dog was a fine ole chap but I really didn't like the antiseptic smell around the place. Without wanting to offend, it smelt of a hospital ward.

Breakfast was good though.

Anyway, I would stay elsewhere unless this was only bed left in town.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed here just overnight on our way to a walking holiday in the Lake District, about 12 days ago. We found this B&B on the Internet, and stayed here as we wanted to break our journey from Norfolk to the lakes and to see the local caves and Peverill Castle ruins. We didn't book for the breakfast part of the deal, as we wanted to get on the next morning earlier than breakfast time, but the room we occupied gave us some of the biggest laughs we have had for a very long time.

We occupied room 2 on the first floor and though the stairs were a bit creaky, it is an old cottage and you expect that sort of thing. There was an en suite and the room looked clean, neat and tidy.

It was on going to the toilet that the fun started....the loo seat wobbled from side to side, and when you flushed the toilet the most alarming noises emanated from the pipes. It really sounded as if we had broken something. However, that was just the start! The hot water tap was loose and when you went to turn it on, it turned, in its entirety full circle, and the noise from the plumbing was again quite frightful. After a short while we decided that the noise made whenever the loo was flushed or when the taps were turned on was all part of the charm, and as no one came to our room to demand what we were doing, we thought it must be the same for the other rooms.

After a meal out at a nearby hostellry, we returned to our room and decided we would shower, but we noticed that one of the drawers in the chest of drawers was open and we hadn't left it that way when we went out. I went to shut it but every time we closed it, it slowly reopened on its own....spooky. As we were by now used to the plumbing noises, the shower held no worries for us, and in fact we were laughing so much, we probably never noticed it any more. However the bed was a small double and was extremely noisy, squeaking whenever you moved or turned over.

All in all it was a quaint place, but not what I would recommend for a quiet, romantic get away....at least not in room 2.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Its a B and B that could be pulling in customers as its in a great spot but its been let go the house smells the rooms were in poor condition they needed a good clean.The shared bathroom had carpet that was stained and in need of replacement. the breakfast was not the best and a dog that woke you up nice an early barking its head off. If i went back to the area i would stay at the hotel down the road. I would not recommend this place to stay at.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Fern Cottage? Share your experiences!