“Poor service but friendly staff when u get one to talk to” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Thistle East Midlands Airport

You added Thistle East Midlands Airport to your Saves list
Thistle East Midlands Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   East Midlands International Airport, Castle Donington DE74 2SH, England   |
“Poor service but friendly staff when u get one to talk to”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed 1 night due to location and the offer of free car parking .
Very small gym but I was there early to get a space.
Very poor service at breakfast. I am still waiting to get asked for coffee or tea. Reasonable selection of items. Very nice chef on duty cooking eggs to order . Will keep with the Village hotel

• Stayed January 2013
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle East Midlands Airport, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor following your recent stay. Your feedback is very important to us and I will ensure this shared with all of our senior team at our next review meeting. I was sorry to hear you were not looked after very well at breakfast, which seems a real shame as you so kindly recognised great service from our Egg Chef, who would happily have served you tea or coffee if she had known.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back, sometime in the near future.

Richard Parker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Burbage, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

i stayed at this hotel recently, the hotel is lovely, upon arrival to my room it looked very nice, but upon closer inspection it was very dirty, i have never seen such thick dust on the skirting boards and on the top of the headboard and also the picture above the bed, and when i pulled the bed out well i don't think that has seen a hoover for weeks there was also tissues behind the bed, there was also rubbish on top of the wardrobe, the tv didn't work properly and in the bathroom it was dirty behind the taps (looked like old toothpaste stains) and the shower curtain was only hanging on by about 4 of the hooks as housekeeping obviously not bothered to clip on the rest.

but besides this a nice stay and breakfast was lovely.

You just need to re-train housekeeping on how to clean properly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle East Midlands Airport, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor and I was really sorry to learn you found the cleanliness of your bedroom dusty. Please be assured I have immediately your feelings with my senior team in housekeeping. We will address this unusual occurrence with those involved and carry out refresher training as soon as possible.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future, as it would seem you enjoyed our facilities and guest service, the cleaning concern aside.

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I had a overnight stay with my 83 year old friend as her flight to Guernsey was cancelled. The staff were very friendly and caring as my friend is almost blind and they couldnt have been anymore helpful. The beds were very comfortable and rooms were clean. The food was excellent. i would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor and I was really pleased to share your kind comments about our caring team with my colleagues. It is indeed great to read we were all kind and helpful to your friend during your unexpected stay at our hotel.

Hope to see you back.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed for 1 night as it is just 5 mins walk to the departure terminal. Excellent check in - thank you to Ash - comfortable bed, soundproof, clean and modern throughout the hotel. Easy parking and good quality, tasty food although, small 'posh nosh' portions. complimentary continental breakfast from 3a.m, which was great as our flight was at 6a.m so we were still well feed :)
Honestly though the leisure facilities let the IMMACULATE HOTEL down! swimming pool water is lovely and warm, steam room nicely steamy, sauna a touch small but hot, spa pool relaxing BUT LEISURE FACILITIES it's a VERY FILTHY place !!! Even a rat poison trap in the changing room !!!

Room Tip: Hotel is excellent but take sturdy flip-flops to leisure facilities, it's lovely but disgustingl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely post of feedback on Trip Advisor and so glad you found our hotel convenient for the airport terminal with easy parking. I shall make sure Ash my operations manager is aware of your kind comments about his personal service.

I was very disappointed to read of your comments about the poor cleaning in Otium – our health club; I shall take this matter up with the team straight away.

Glad to see you enjoyed our very early breakfast and hope to see in the East Midlands again some time in the future.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had a one night stay at this hotel ion 12 January; staff were very friendly and helpful; room warm, comfortable and clean; food very good; perfectly located just off the Ml motorway and ideal if you are flying out from East Midlands Airport; hotel offers car parking and accommodation excellent rates.

Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed here when my flight was cancelled because of snow. The rooms are very nice and (by UK standards) not horrendously expensive. The food in the restaurant is surprisingly good. I have a few small complaints:

*While the bed linen was excellent quality and perfectly clean, the cushions in the room were decidedly grubby.
*I had to leave my debit card details with reception. They charged the cost of the room plus 50 pounds to it. I had understood that I was just "leaving my details" and that I would charged for the room on checkout. Two days later, my checking account still shows the larger sum. I am presuming that I'll be refunded shortly, but I really don't like this system. The check-in staff should make it clear to anyone using a debit card that this is going to happen. In my case, it pushed me into overdraft territory unnecessarily as I could have used a credit card.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle East Midlands Airport, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor concerning your recent stay at our hotel. Whilst I was delighted to learn you found our hotel very nice after your unexpected need to stay due to the snow, I was sorry to learn our receptionist did not complete your pre authorised swipe of your debit card on check out. This should resolve itself in a few days but do get in touch with me direct with me at the hotel if you need to.

It seems a shame you found the cushions in your room grubby, especially you've noticed how nice and pristine our laundry is. Please be assured we have taken note of your feedback and have already checked our cleaning schedules of cushions and their condition.

Hope to see you back soon.

Brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night for a business meeting.
The hotel is 3 minutes from the M1 and on site for the Airport, so convenient location. Althought be aware you could hear the distant rumble of the planes landing and taking off while laying in bed - not ideal.

All staff were extremely helpful and went out of their way to go the extra mile. Very good service.
The food was fine, especially as it was mass catering.

However, the hotel rooms, could really do with an update, the bathroom was grubby and definately needed a really good overhaul and update.

Although a convenient location, I think there are better quality hotel to stay at.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle East Midlands Airport, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay and we were really pleased to learn of your appreciation with our customer service and great location. Sorry to learn you could hear some external noise from the airport, which is very rare and I think this was indeed ground works of ice clearing on the runway as we very rarely have noise complaints about flights.

We regularly carry out capital improvements to our hotel and whilst works of this nature are on a cyclical basis and we will shortly be making embarking on our immediate project of enhancing and modernising our bar and restaurant. I have however taken note of your comments about the room allocated to you and will endeavour to ramp up improvements where we can.

Hope to see you back in the near future.

Richard Parker

Been to Thistle East Midlands Airport? Share your experiences!