“Good night's sleep” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thistle East Midlands Airport

Save Saved
You added Thistle East Midlands Airport to your Saves list
Thistle East Midlands Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   East Midlands International Airport, Castle Donington DE74 2SH, England   |
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good night's sleep”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Although very near the airport there is triple glazing but the requested quiet room was 180 paces from the Reception to make sure there was no noise. The room was spotlessly clean, the bed very comfortable, the bathroom had a bath and a shower with complementary toiletries. The hotel falls down actually to a 'good' which is better than 'average' but not quite 'very good' because the price (£70 instead of a supposed normal rate of £139) did not include breakfast. That was an extra £10 but only average in the standard of ingredients - usual mass-catering uninspiring food. An evening meal with only a main course was £13.50 for a 'potless stew' which was presented nicely on the plate but not a very generous size. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Perfect position for the airport and close to Donnington race circuit.

Room Tip: Check the best price on the web then make a booking by phone when you can ask for any specific requi...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

447 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Mijas, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Friendly staff but room was rather "tired" looking and could have done with a bit of extra cleaning and TLC. There was a whole in my duvet cover, one towel had black smudges (mascara) on it and the other was threadbare. Cannot comment on the services as I did not have a chance to use them. Great for proximity to airport.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

We held a business meeting at this hotel this week, the hotel was easy to find and had a large (complimentary) car park. The staff on the recpetion desk were polite and our event co-ordinator was very helpful providing all information we needed straight away. Also in the welcome pack was the extension number of the event co-ordinator, this meant that i was able to contact the co-ordinator from the room if we needed anything else. the only thing i would say about the room was that the only thing seperating us from the room next door was a dividing shutter meaning we could pretty much hear everything they were saying. The working lunch that was provided was delicious and there was plenty of food availble as well as tea and coffee. I would highy reccommend this venue for business meetings.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Ideally situated at the entrance of the airport, about 5 minute walk to departures. At Hotel, efficient check in and nice room. Large bar area with selection of wines and beers, not the cheapest but reasonable for airport hotel. Leisure facilities are free but close at 5.30 p.m. so did not have chance to use. We booked with parking and evening meal deal. Parking no issues, it is on site and plenty of spaces. However meal deal advertised as 3 course dinner and we naively expected to be able to choose from the a la carte menu. Unfortunately on arrival we were informed that the value of the meal was £19.50 which when looking at the menu we were confused because you cannot get 3 courses for that price. At the restaurant they provided us with a limited set menu option which was not to our taste. When we raised this, the manager offered for us to choose from the a la carte menu and pay the difference. We were disappointed with the meal situation as we paid at least £40.00 on top of the basic hotel and parking deal, thus not really worth booking in advance. Also there is a pretty good bar meal menu that we would probably have opted for. On arrival home after our hols very easy to collect car and be on your way. Would definitely do again without the meal deal.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle East Midlands Airport, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valuable feedback,I was really pleased you were happy with very close location to the airport and you found the check in smooth and long term car parking arrangements without hassle. Our Otium health club is usually open over weekend till 9pm on Fridays and till 8pm, Saturday and Sunday, but being a bank holiday weekend these hours are usually reduced due to a much less demand for later entry. I do however appreciate it would have been helpful if we had let you know the opening times before your stay and I will make sure we are more considerate on future holiday weekends.

I am sorry you found the inclusive menu arrangements restrictive, and although we offer a wide range of operations for guests on inclusive dinner packages that can be eaten throughout our hotel.
I do hope we can welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Richard Parker
matlock
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Booked a room and dinner deal....Oh dear what a mistake!
Cafeteria quality food that bore no resemblance to how it was described in the menu.
Complaints fell on deaf ears and since we had paid in advance,had little or no leverage for compensation.

Room Tip: Pay more and stay at the Hilton
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle East Midlands Airport, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and I was really sorry to learn that you did not feel the quality of food or room met your expectations during your recent stay at our hotel.
I will ensure we learn from your experiences and endeavour to work harder in our service delivery aims and hope to be able to welcome you back sometime in the future.

Richard.
Whitburn, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I booked this hotel through Booking.Com for somewhere to stop over in between flights. I arrived at the East Midlands at 11.30pm, walked to the Thistle Hotel only to be told that they had overbooked and did not have a room for me. I had booked this well in advance and had also called the day before to advise that I would be arriving at the hotel very late and I was assured this would not be a problem.

I had a flight to catch at 7am the next morning and was very tired from a long day of travelling. The hotel refused to let me stay and booked a taxi to take me to a hotel that they said was just down the road. It was in fact a 10 minute taxi ride. I had little sleep because of the upset to my plans. I was still instructed to pay for the room and that someone would call me to discuss the mix up in a few days. It is now 2 weeks since this incident and I have heard nothing.

I would not recommend using this hotel as a stop over as it cannot be relied upon to honour the booking

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle East Midlands Airport, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. I was really sorry to learn of the relocation recently to another East Midlands Hotel after we were unable to honour your reservation, especially as you had an early morning flight and had called us to alert us to your late arrival.

Whilst we are in not in the habit of regularly over booking our hotel in an uncontrolled way. It is very regrettable we were unable to accommodate you at our hotel. I have immediately carried out an investigation into how this came about and like many hotels welcoming large groups, we regularly experience a small number of non-arriving guests but on the night you were due to stay, everyone arrived.
I will certainly carry out refresher training with all of my reception team and duty managers to ensure we are more careful with reservations in the future.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to our hotel when you next need to fly from East Midlands Airport.

Richard Parker
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012 via mobile

Just visited this hotel on an overnight stay with national holidays. I like to give an honest reflection of hotels I stay in so here goes. Check in went really smooth and the hotel laid tea and coffee on for us, very nice after travelling all day. our room was spotless and the bed was huge. Food was basic but tasty. Maybe coach trips get a different menu to other guests but it was nice. The staff in the restaurant deserve a special mention. They worked so hard but still had a smile on their face. Nothing was too much trouble for them. During our meal, about 45 minutes into it my wife could take no more of a screaming child next to us and asked if we could move. it was a busy night but we were moved straight away. Didn't find the drinks too expensive. Got a decent bottle of red wine for about £18. Had a fabulous nights sleep. Breakfast was a buffet, very good, there was a lady making fresh omlettes which looked lovely and fresh. if we were ever flying from east midlands airport this would be the overnight hotel we would stay in. well done to all staff, it was an absolute pleasure!

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valuable feedback and I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay overall at the Thistle East Midlands as part of the National Holidays Group and that although you had to move tables during dinner this was done quickly for you.
We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Regards

Richard Parker.

Been to Thistle East Midlands Airport? Share your experiences!