“A wonderful short break” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 20% OFF
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Belper
Derby, United Kingdom
“A wonderful short break”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We booked the hotel for 1 night on a Groupon deal
The hotel is in need of some TLC in places.
We were disappointed with the afternoon cake which was only 1 slice each and was wafer thin,
the coffee was good, and the weather was lovely and sunny, just right for sitting in the wonderful garden. The breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kerry R, General Manager at Makeney Hall Clarion Collection Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013

We do currently have an in house refurbishment plan, recently completing one of our in house bedrooms.

Kerry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Wicklow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed at end of February for two nights in Nursery room in old part of the building
Very clean nice en-suite and ammple space
Good lift and nice stairs if lift not used
Comfortable bed and appreciated the tea/coffee facility

Room Tip: All good rooms seek old house accommodation
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave feedback, I’m pleased that you had a good stay with us. I will pass on your feedback to the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Makeney Hall Hotel.

Derby, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Went for a Sunday night meal the setting is very nice and although there wasn't many in, two staff seemed like they had too much to do. They were pleasant enough but not really four staff. The set menu is £25 and the starters were fine but brad was not on the table and arrived a little late. The waiter forgot to ask how the main meal steaks were to be cooked and although cooked well there was a bit too much gristle which wasn't helped be knives that were not sharpe enough. The Banana Cheesecake although nice was more like mousse and the Chocolate brownie more like sponge. The vegetables served with four steaks were all in one bowl and although enough potatoes not enough veg and by the time the one bowl was passed around the steak were cooling down. Also although a skill juggling four or five starters or desserts by the waiter does not really convey care when the meals are delivered.
Nice venue, food ok but will not be rushing back as there is better elsewhere

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kerry R, General Manager at Makeney Hall Clarion Collection Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, these are valuable to us as it allows us to learn about a guests experience and then improve our product or services accordingly.

I do apologise that your meal wasn’t to the standard that it should have been and I do assure you that this isn’t our usual standard of practise.

I will pass on your feedback to the relevant departments so that they can progress and improve from it.

As I am unaware of when you dined with us, I’m afraid I am unable to check with the duty manager who took care of you that evening to see if you was compensated for the experience that you had, something I would have been able to do if your feedback had come directly to me, prior to Trip Advisor.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the future and restore the faith that is lost

Benin City, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Wow Wow Wow - myself and my family stayed at this hotel last month and we had an amazing time - very clean, great food with lots of variety (and I am vegetarian), Staff went above and beyond for us they were wonderful. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone and we are looking to book a return trip already.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Clarion Collection Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013

Swanwick
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I booked the Hotel for a special occasion my husbands 60th birthday. When we arrived in reception a Wedding was taking place so it looked very busy. We had booked tea or coffee on arrival with cakes but decided to have it later and go for a walk until the wedding ceremony was over. I had paid for an upgrade on the room £20 - so I was really disappointed when I opened the door to the china suite and was greeted with a terrible smell coming from the bathroom. The suite was in need of a makeover and very cold no heating on, the bed was damp. I looked at my husband and I could tell he didn't want to stop. We decided not too stay and asked for a refund.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving a review, these are valuable to us as it allows us to learn about a guests experience and then improve our product or services accordingly. Had we of been made aware we would of happily offered you another bedroom or alternately found the source of the bad smell and rectified the issue. Housekeeping check all bedrooms before there let out to ensure there all to standard, so I do apologise if this wasn’t the case. We do have an internal maintenance scheme in place to improve some of our more tired areas, recently finishing one of our bar areas.

Goole, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Just returned from this hotel and felt I must write the review straight away to try to stop other people experiencing what we did.
This mini break was a gift from my sister in law.
We arrived for our 2 night stay on the 10th of March ( our pearl wedding anniversay) We were put in an attick room that was very shabby and so cold we had to get into bed to stay warm ( room 23 ) we did complain and was told that the hotel is old and hard to keep warm, no comfort to us!!.
Our bed was one of those that you roll into the middle, I dare not look at the mattress, not wanting to see what I might find.
The whole place is dirty and uninviting. Please think twice abiout staying there!!.
Eileen Ward

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m really sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with us and I’m very shocked to read about the issues that you have experienced.

It is difficult for us to sometime heat the hotel, due to its age all of our in house bedrooms are different sizes, but we would of happily put the heating back on for you or given you a portable heater.

The room that was given to you is an original bedroom of the main house, all of our in house bedrooms have their own quirks and is something that we haven’t changed as we believe they should be in keeping with the main house and its age. I do apologise that this style of bedroom isn’t your preferred taste. Our courtyard bedrooms are much more standardised and may have been better suited to you.

We use an external cleaning company to ensure that all of your bedrooms are cleaned to the highest standard, so I will pass on your feedback so they can discuss with the housekeeping team.

Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were given a night at Makeney Hall Hotel as a Xmas gift from a close relative and with 2 children under 4 were really looking forward to a night away, just the 2 of us.

It was such a shame. I would actually have prefered to stay at home. We were in room 1 in the Courtyard. The room was old-fashioned but clean. The bathroom was a huge letdown. No shower! Just a plastic hose attachment to fix to the taps which didn't actually fit the taps so was of no use at all! We contacted reception straight away to request a room with a shower and were told the hotel was fully booked and we couldn't change. Obviously we were disappointed but we'd tried.

Sadly the shower issue was not the worst part of the stay. At approx 2 am we were woken by guests accessing the room above via the metal staircase outside our bedroom window. Then to our dismay we found out there were sound issues with the room. We could hear the guests using the toilet and every single footstep which made our ceiling creak unbearably. This carried on for half an hour until my aggravated husband shouted 'shut up'! Of course some noise is expected when staying in a hotel but this was dreadful. We were woken again at 6.30 to the people above moving about at which point we just gave up on sleep. It really was unbearable and I don't think room 1 can be used when the room above is also in use as the sound is shockingly loud.

I honestly felt I wish I'd stayed at home and at least been able to get a good night's sleep. We didn't complain in the morning because we were both so tired and fed up that our much awaited night away was ruined.

Yes the room was clean and we received a free bottle of wine but sleep is more important and I really feel this room is not fit for purpose. How much does an electric shower cost? And the noise was totally unacceptable I would recommend the hotel manager stays a night in the room with guests above to see just how bad it is!

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 1 in the courtyard!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m really sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with us and I’m very disappointed to read about the issues that you have experienced while with us.

We are currently looking into getting a shower installed into room one, this is a recent issue and I’m afraid it is more complicated than purchasing an electric shower, however I do apologise about the inconvenience this caused you and the issue will be shortly resolved. In regards to the noise this is something that hasn’t been reported to me before, but it is something I will certainly look into and rectify.

It’s a shame that you didn’t complain on check out as this would have been our opportunity to of rectified these issues and compensated you for the experience that you had.

Kerry Rawson

Been to Makeney Hall Clarion Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!