“Buzzing place with an extensive choice @ the Deli counter..” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 67 Restaurants in Ashbourne
Cuisines: Café
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
“Buzzing place with an extensive choice @ the Deli counter..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I decided to come back to the Deli for the second time. First time round we were quite enthusiastic about the place as we had read the reviews on trip advisor.
On arrival the place was pleasant to loo at getting seated at lunch time I think was pot luck as a table was leaving.My lovely Wife had crayfish Salad and I had Ploughmans.when it arrived it was very disappointing. No Pork Pie nor did I get any Chutny or any pickle of sort. The cheese was just as pathetic as I was given three types nothing special two types of a rubbery cheddar and a bit of Stilton. You expected in a place like that to get some crackers for the cheese, but No... Three bits of dread was all I had with hard butter!!! There was no Mayo or sauces available having to ask two people to sort that was a task as this tool longer than anticipated. We had coffee Americanos which was served as large,my egg holders at home are bigger!! The taste itsel was very bitter!!
Today we arrived no available spaces I asked if we could reserve but was told by a member of staff that they didn't do this. Stood in a door way where people would come through the first entrance door to go up the stairs to a Hair Salon of bizarre places to have one!! Was t long befor the non smiling female member of staff said you can sit down now!!
Quick glance at the menus and both me and my Wife had the Soup of the day. Tomato with out bread this was nothing special. We encountered the same issue with coffees as well.
All in allots a radiant place inside seating is good and you don't feel you need to make whisper conversation .Staff should have a better approach to there customers. Smiles would plus. We will not be in a hurry to return again

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

This cafe/deli is in a great position in the centre of town. it has a varied menu - good quality food and excellent service - our lunch was delicious , the salad with fresh figs was just perfect

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Winsford, United Kingdom
“Ashbourne's best people watching cafe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This small deli and cafe has a great menu, whether stocking up before a hike or a cycle or to reward you on your return. Traditional fare is generous and well-presented with great tasting coffee and hot chocolate. In the sunshine, it is delightful to sit out on the cobbled frontage and enjoy the bustle of the town square. If you're lucky, you may catch a wedding party coming out of the registry office close-by and count the caravans passing on their way to or from the Dales.
The only downside - the traffic noise if its a busy day - but this does not deter the ardent people-watcher or bacon buttie eater!

Visited May 2013
Maldon, United Kingdom
“Lovely Lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My Friend and I ate luch here today all freshly prepared home made food, she had the game pie and I had Smoked haddock fishcake - both served with a mixed side salad (not just a tomato, lettuce & cucumber slice!) we also indulged in the delightful deserts! Pear & Almond tart for my friend and I had the very refreshing Lemon tart. looking around the food that everyone was eating looked really good too.....not many plates going back with uneaten food!
The only slight let down was the loo.....the eating area is nicely decorated - clean and modern.....the loos were OK but not quite up to the standard of everywhere else.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Derbyshire
“Very average food served with very average service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My family and I called into this café for lunch today. We were placed onto a small table in a cramped eating area to the rear of the establishment. There was no friendly welcome , infact the waitress seemed irritable.
We waited a long time before being served with our very average food. There are many decent quality cafes in Ashbourne where the welcome and general customer service is far superior to what we experienced today.
The meals were small and uninspiring.
The café and toilets were clean and adequate.
All in all, I would advise anyone who wants a pleasant experience to give this place a swerve and try one of the many other cafes in Ashbourne !

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere