“Could have been so much better” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 72 Restaurants in Ashbourne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Lichfield
“Could have been so much better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and I visited here yesterday lunchtime and met up with good friends. I chose this venue having checked out previous reviews form tripadvisor contributors which, in the main, were very favourable and it's location was convenient to both couples. Unfortunately it fell short of my expectations. Little positive ambience in what is a long open drinking/dining area with unlit fires at either end, even though it was a very chilly autumn day. My choice, and that of one other of our group from a promising menu was the belly pork with black pudding which was served with 'real chips' and fresh vegetables. I was expecting slow cooked meat with crackling but was a little disappointed with the two rounds of pork which were undercooked and a little chewy. Pleasant waiter delivered the meal to our table without black pudding which when queried had apparently been overlooked by the chef. One small slice of black pudding each arrived some minutes later having been quickly prepared following my query. Chips and veg. were ok. My bread and butter pudding to follow was another let down - it tasted like a pudding from a supermarket chiller cabinet, with an unexpected texture, although the custard was ok.
As the meal was a reunion with friends I did not make a fuss which would have spoiled the occasion, but felt moved to write this review which would appear to be in contrast with some of the previous reviews on this site. No matter - I always review as I find and can only say that I would not eat here again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Staffordshire Moorlands
“Main course ok, but my dessert was very synthetic and not good value.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Met up with old friends at The Okeover Arms today,and as it is a bright, but chilly autumn day a fire or some heating would have been very welcome.

The waiter was pleasant enough, and the venue was clean and tidy, but really only average..

The menu was quite limited, but my choice of butternut squash and goat's cheese lasagna was alright, the salad garnish ok, with well cooked and crispy chips.

My friend has a wheat intolerance and there was nothing to suit her needs on the dessert menu.

The Malteser Torte tasted of nothing much, and looked very synthetic..........the only clue to its creation was one Malteser chocolate on top. It was a very small portion, and at £3.95 I dont consider it to be value for money.I think £2.75p would have been a fairer price.

Dont think I will return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hull
“Hidden treasure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a b&b close by (didn't know about the hotel then) for a 2 day walking break with our dog. Lovely to see a "children, dogs & muddy boots" welcome sign outside :-) food was excellent; piping hot, great quality and value. Everyone made a fuss of our Schnauzer and also made us feel very welcome. Had one or 2 beers each night (it would have been rude not to) and met some lovely people. Free wifi which was a bonus as signals are bad round the area. Will be back same time next year and will be booking a room here hopefully.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wellesbourne Hastings, United Kingdom
“Sunday Carvery.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

A beautiful, friendly family pub. The roast was beautiful, tender and hot. My husband cannot eat red meat so were originally a little worried but they purposely cooked us chicken. Very helpful,thoughtful and extremely accommodating. A great place for a family meal. Amazing prices. Another good point, for me, we weren't constantly interrupted by staff asking us questions whilst eating.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Good Sunday Carvery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant while holidaying in the area. The pub/restaurant was friendly and 'no frills', ideal as a stop-off if you're walking. We opted for the Sunday carvery and were not disappointed. Not the place for a romantic meal but very good food and very good value.

• Visited August 2013