“Perfect place for a wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Greenhill Hotel

The Greenhill Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wigton
The Greenhill Hotel
You added The Greenhill Hotel to your Saves list
Red Dial, Wigton CA7 8LS, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wigton
“Perfect place for a wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We had our wedding ceremony & night do at the greenhill hotel on 24th august 2012. I can't fault the place, everything was as we had asked with the set up of the rooms for the wedding, staff very helpful & pleasent especially Malcolm who was organising things he done an exceptional job. The food was fantastic daytime & evening. Everyone who attended the wedding had a great day so thanks to greenhills for that from ian & kellie

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at the Greenhill when we were attending a family event in the area and wanted to be out of the way of our hosts - they had enough to do without entertaining us!
We arrived early at the Greenhill and as expected our room wasn't ready. A very helpful receptionist asked a very nice chambermaid to attend to our room next and she very kindly did. The room was clean and well aired but the bed was very small - 4'6" I think - a king size would easily have fitted in. The bathroom was tiny with only a tiny shower. The shower door - (looks like a new one I think) sort of folds inwards on itself. I am not a large person but had to squeeze in to the corner of the shower to open the door. Having achieved this I unfortunately cut my foot on the underside of the shower door when trying to get out:(
Breakfast on the Sunday morning was a bit of a shambles. The cereal bowls which were left out on the dresser were unfortunately dirty despite having been through the dishwasher. The service was so slow that my husband ended up in the kitchen asking for someone to come and take our order. After that the situation did improve and breakfast was lovely and the waitress chatty and polite.
There is a very irritating music system in the hotel. If you are in the dining room or bar there is quite loud piped music but the speakers are on the wall so if you are in th end room at either end of the building your room is provided with a stereo system over which you have no control. We didn't say anything about it at the time but I wished we had.
Cleanliness is obviously not a major priority for this hotel (bed rooms/bathrooms excepted). There are cobwebs in the window frames in the bar and dining rooms, there was obviously a wedding on the Friday night but there was still confetti on the front carpet when we arrived on the Saturday, which was still there on the Sunday. The front of the hotel is littered with fag ends - I appreciate this is diffcult to deal with but not all were from the weekend - some were weeks/months old and hadn't been swept up. There was a big urn on the left of the main entrance full to overflowing with fag ends and cigarette packets. Really created a bad impression.

Generally the staff were kind and helpful - the gentleman who assisted us in the bar/restaurant on the Sunday night was particularly skilled in making customers feel at ease. Again this professionalism was let down by other staff scraping plates noisily and the receptionist eating sweets at the main desk.
It wouldn't take much to 'fix' this lovely hotel - the interior is super with some great artwork - the manager just needs to step up to the plate and take his staff with him.

Would we stay again? Would need to be sure of not having an end room, would like a bath and a shower in the bathroom, would like bigger bed - if all possible then yes!

Room Tip: Don't go for a room a the back there is no view. Don't go for an end room - really noisy wi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lancs/Birmingham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed for the weekend for our friends wedding and had a brilliant time. Staff couldn't be nicer make you feel very welcome and couldn't have been friendlier. Thanks very much!! Would reccommend this hotel to anyone and hopefully we will go back one day

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Northumberland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed 1 night for a business meeting being held Public bar area, very helpful staff managed to cater with a food request after the allotted serving time in a polite and accommodating manner, Welcome very pleseant, rooms very spacious with Digital TV, tea making equipment available. Both Dining Room and Public Bar area's very clean, waited on in a very comfortable, but disgreet manner, allowing you time to enjoy the surronds without being too fussed over.

Room Tip: Room was very spacious and airy, but ask for one away from neon sign as it relfects brightly into be...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We attended a family wedding at the hotel and stayed over night. the staff worked incredibly hard and catered to our every need, the food was excellent, and i cannot praise them enough. our room was bright, airy, comfortable and clean, with lovely views over the gardens to the lake district a lovely place to relax. the morning brought a lovely dining room with excellent cooked breakfasts, and again the attention from the staff was brilliant. well done!

Room Tip: choose a room at the front of the hotel it is quieter with lovely views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed at Greenhill the night of 11 May, having been married there during the day.

The hotel was clean and well presented and the room where the Wedding breakfast was held, was really nicely laid out.

Staff were courteous and worked very hard all day running the wedding from behind the scenes to keep things ticking over.

The food was first rate and as per Greenhill's reputation - lots of it. For a small fee, we were able to book out the whole hotel which meant it was ours during the whole day and night.

I have read a less than favourable review on Trip Advisor about Greenhill's rooms not being upto scratch but I think this was overexpectation on the part of the reviewer. Sure, they are basic, but very clean and very well presented (in the case of the bridal suite). The bathroom was also clean and tidy so we were more than happy with it. Also, none of the other wedding guests complained and we pretty much had over 3 quarters of the rooms occupied. Rooms range from £80 double upto £120 for the family 4 room.

My only slight negative was the quality of the music played in the Dining room during the ceremony, which was crackly and on very low and seemed to only come from one side of the room so lost some of the effect when the bride walked in.

Other than that, the Team at Greenhill did a sterling job to make this our happiest day ever and at around £45ish a head for food, we found Greenhill better value for money than Armathwaite, Crown Wetherall or Dalston Hall (other main local wedding hotels).

A lovely place to stay and close to the lake district and Carlisle.

• Stayed May 2012
Carlisle, Cumbria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Have to say that the receptionist was absolutely lovely on arrival, the staircase up to my room was quite stunning - unfortunately the room was a bit of a let down! it was a beautiful large room with a what can only be described as a Queen size bed - where a King sized would have been more appropriate! the furnishing was quite basic, and the 'shower room' must have been a converted cupboard - not much room to turn! I do appreciate that with older properties, sometimes you have to use the space you have. The carpet was definitely in need of replacement, and I did notice that the room was devoid of any paintings on the walls!! which is slightly unusual - this could have made all the difference! I decided to have a quiet afternoon as I was going to the evening function, and after a while was bombarded with christmas songs on the internal sound system - this happened again at 8 am in the morning, and also throughout breakfast!! overkill seems the appropriate word, it is not a supermarket!! and I didn't enjoy listening to 'All I want for Christmas' for the umpteenth time! The breakfast was adequate, but six slices of toast for one person? and we had to wait for tea as it came in a comunal teapot which was put on the sideboard - I would have thought that an establishment like this would have provided appropriate sized teapots on the tables for us to help ourselves whenever we wished. As I was on my own, I was sat on a small table in the middle of the breakfast room - I felt as if I was being punished for being alone!! would I return- It would have to improve, and it would not be my first choice.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Greenhill Hotel? Share your experiences!