“First visit to the Lake District.” 5 of 5 stars

Bay Horse Hotel & Restaurant
Canal Foot, Ulverston LA12 9EL, England   |
Ranked #13 of 27 Ulverston B&B and Inns
adelaide, south australia
“First visit to the Lake District.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

In fact my first visit to the north of England. I chose the Bay Horse after agonizing over various web sites and for a change my choice turned out to be exactly as advertised. The hotel, the food, the service and the scenery was fantastic. I could not have asked for more. I stayed for two weeks and enjoyed every minute. On my departure, I was even given sandwiches to eat on the train. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

To be honest our first impression was , oh I'm not sure if I am going to be happy here , but as soon as you open the door you can feel the friendliness such a nice atmosphere. The rooms are a little tired but then it would not have the same feel about it if it was all modernised , even the creaking floorboards helped to create the sense of time . The hosts were extremely friendly and could not do enough for you . We had travelled quite a distance that day so we decided to eat in the restaurant that night , well that was the best decision we ever made. What a fantastic menu. My husband ordered the ribeye steak , we just laughed when we saw it it was huge & cooked to perfection .The presentation was excellent even down to the butter being presented as small swans .We looked around the town the following day wondering where to eat tonight but nothing could compare so we went straight back to the Bay Horse and had our dinner there again . We could not find a single thing we would change . This is truly a special place and everyone should experience it . We will return here as soon as we can . Thank you both and your staff

• Stayed September 2013
ormskirk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We have been staying at the Bay Horse for 17 years it really gets better! This year we loved the new menus which offered us a wonderful choice over our 3 day stay.Thanks Bobby,Lesley and staff for making our stay so special.PS views superb as always over the bay amazing bird life lots of Herons and 1 Little Egret.

Room Tip: Front estuary rooms all with french windows out onto a small balcony
Skelmersdale, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

What a really comfortable place to spend a night. When you first weigh this hotel up you may be inclined to think that it is a bit expensive for the size of bedroom in what is basically a pub with rooms, casting an eye over the menu you may also think it is a little expensive. But, believe me it is all worth every penny. We stayed in the 'Curlew' room which faced the estuary, there are French doors that open onto a small balcony and a settee at the end of the bed, perfect for taking in the scenery. The restaurant has one sitting and was full, pre-booking advisable, the food was fantastic and the attentive service from our host and her staff was spot on, her attention to detail was a pleasure to be part of.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The seafront of this hotel is a lovely view however wish we had a room that was a view of the seafront that we could absorb the view especially on a morning when you wake up and soak it all in like many. The rooms are clean and one thing you do get is a good nights sleep in the comfy beds.! We had to drag ourselves out to go sightseeing. The seafront view is wonderful. The staff are really lovely. Breakfast is served to you which makes a pleasant service. Room service is perfect - when we were back at our room after breakfast before we knew it or asked it had been done. We spent most of our time out sightseeing the lakes so didnt spend much time at the hotel. we chose this hotel as it was our first visit at the Lake District and most places were full or expensive and this seemed easy access to get to most places. It's a nice hotel hidden away unfortunately the GSK plant nearby does spoil the drive down to it. Nonetheless me and my husband enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a sea view of you can.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was our first trip to the lakes booked the hotel after seeing on the internet what a fantastic hotel . right on the sea front with stunning views .
we had a sea view room well woth the extra
food was amazing to die for and the atmosphere of the place was really nice
Hosts were second to none catering for every wim
Breakfast was excellent with plenty to eat .
will be visiting again next year with out a doubt .

Room Tip: take the sea view room with out a doubt
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I don't think there's a lot of accommodation in Ulverston and the Bay Horse fitted the bill I stayed here on business and didn't much like my room in spite of excellent view. I could see my car from my room but old fashioned patio doors offered a choice of ventilation or security and I stayed there in hot weather. Breakfasts and evening meals were excellent. Overall I felt accommodation was expensive but restaurant prices, though not cheap,reasonable for the menu on offer.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Bay Horse Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!