“Lovely Food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Lovely Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

A group of us went there recently on a wet, windy Thursday night. On arrival we found we were the only people in the pub and it was so quiet we did wonder whether we had made the right choice - but I have to say that it was well worth the visit. The pub has a cosy atmosphere - with a roaring log fire. We were seated in the orangery - a very nice dining area - but we were the only table booked in that night. The food was excellent, well presented (and a bit different from the usual "pub grub") and the two girls waiting on were very efficient. I would recommend the General Burgoyne to everyone and I hope this will entice people to visit. It was just a shame that it was so quiet on the night we chose (hence the average in atmosphere).

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
generalburgoyne, Owner at General Burgoyne, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your positive review - glad to hear you enjoyed our food. I recall the evening you dined with us, it was indeed very wet and windy, and as such, untypically quiet! The roads around us do flood and I think people are reluctant to venture out into 'the sticks' on such nights! Hopefully next time you visit, the weather will be better and we'll have more customers in our cosy country pub to build on the atmosophere.

“Would definitely recommend!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Lovely atmosphere, especially sat in front of the roaring fire on a cold evening!

Food was very good & we'll definitely be back soon

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank You for your kind words. We're pleased you enjoyed your visit to the General Burgoyne, and pleased to hear that you'll be back. A roaring open fire, along with good food and good company is exactly what makes a country pub...
London, United Kingdom
“Great pub dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Fantastic little place - best to book- with a great menu and service. There is something for everyone , simple or adventurous dishes are on offer ... I loved the savoury ice cream that came with my starter.. Would defiantly recommend this place

generalburgoyne, Owner at General Burgoyne, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review. Thank you also for your kind words, a positive review such as yours renews our enthusiasm and faith that we are doing the right thing at the Burgoyne, and whilst we cannot please everyone, we do please significantly more customers than not!. We are very pleased you have enjoyed your meal and experience with us and obviously appreciate good food and understand our ethos of using only the best quality local seasonal produce in order to produce quite unique, innovative and exciting dishes alongside the more usual 'pub classics'.

We hope to provide you with many more enjoyable visits to us at our cosy country pub in the future.

Turton, United Kingdom
“food great, service not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

party of 6 for my birthday celebration. We arrived at 6pm and whilst I was aware there would be a wait not much happened for the first 15mins. Whilst the waitress was pleasant she did not know which beers were on at the bar. One of the kids wanted fizzy orange and we were told they had "55". When it arrived it was Apple. Not a huge issue as one of the other kids fancied it so we ordered a lemonade instead which was forgotten about and when reminded arrived with an apology. The food arrived at 7pm. Someone had ordered the chick pea dahl with chicken. There was no chicken. When questioned the waitress suggested that the chicken was mixed in with it rather than on the top as the menu suggested. A quick search revealed no chicken. After a further discussion with the kitchen it was sent back and arrived with chicken 5 mins later when we were all well into our meals. My wife had the mushroom and goats cheese lasagne but there was no goats cheese so it was made with brie. She was advised of this when ordering and described it as fantastic all the same. I had one of the best rib-eye steaks I have had in a long time. We did notice that later tables seemed to get their food through much quicker but as they advertise food from 6 then they should be ready to go at six. Desserts came quickly and were fine. We would've stopped for coffee but we wanted to be in Ulverston for the lantern parade at 8:30 and only just made it.

We also commented on the £1 charge for credit cards. I just paid on a debit card but when you are spending over £100 it seems a bit mean. Whilst I am aware of the costs to the proprietor of using credit cards I often think it would be better to make an allowance for this in the cost of the meal rather than draw attention to it as a separate fee.

The food was very well made and very good quality but I'd be reluctant to return until I read that the service has improved

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to write and post a review of our family business. Please accept my apologies that your experience did not meet your expectations. We have very recently taken on new front of house staff, and I am aware that training does need to take place, thank you for highlighting these issues, I can assure you a training programme is in place and is due to be implemented very soon.

As every dish is freshly prepared to order using only the best quality local seasonal produce, we do occasionally run out when a dish is particularly popular, but do always try to make a comparative substitution. Again, the miscommunication over the Chick Pea Daal dish is something which I will address during our training sessions - it should have been confirmed with your guest whether they would have liked the dish with chicken or without as we offer this dish as either a meat option or a vegan option.

I can only apologise in retrospect for the quality of service you received and assure you I am in the process of addressing it and providing training where required.

Regarding the issue of the charge for use of credit cards; we absorb the cost of accepting debit card as payment, but unfortunately as a small business cannot afford to absorb the 2% charge that the credit card companies apply for the convenience of paying for your purchase at a later date. I'm sure you'll agree that incorporating this cost into the price of every meal would be most unfair on customers who choose to pay by cash or debit card, effectively subsidising customers who choose to use credit facilities. There are many small business who charge a supplement for the use of any form of card payment. We choose not to do that as debit card transactions are significantly cheaper to process, and by requesting a £1 contribution towards credit card transactions, a customer with a bill of over £100 is contributing less than half the cost of processing their transaction. Should a customer not be happy to pay the contribution, we are more than happy to accept payment by either cash or debit card.

Should you wish to discuss any matter in further detail, we would very much appreciate the opportunity to do this either over the phone or in person rather than through the impersonal anonymous medium of trip advisor.

Once again thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns over service, and please accept my reassurance that these matters will be addressed and you should see a significant improvement on an y return visit you make. We all need to learn and gain experience in order to improve, and have all been new in a job at some point in our lives. We feel that staff we have appointed have great potential and plan to spend time training them to exacting standards.

Kind Regards,

Preston
“Dissapointing and over priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

On reading the latest Good Food Guide and being in the area I decided to book a table for my Family. The lunch menu was limited and some of the items were not available once ordered. The de-constructed apple crumble was wierd as others have commented and the apple was hard. The whole meal was dissapointing and on paying the bill I was informed that I would be levied a £1 charge for usiing a credit card which was also extraordinary.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to write and post a review on tripadvisor, although it would have been very useful to us if you had spoken to us during your visit and allowed us the opportunity to address and rectify your concerns.

So sorry you feel our lunch menu is limited, we have a lunchtime special offer of 2 courses for £15 inclusive of coffee with a choice of 3 starters, 3 main courses and 3 desserts. This runs alongside the more usual lunchtime offerings of soup, sandwiches and deli boards, and we have had many comments complimenting us on our choice at lunchtime, offering something for everyone whilst limiting the menu slightly in order to improve speed of service which is paramount to most customers at lunchtime. We're also sorry that you feel our home made dishes using only the best quality local seasonal produce are not in your opinion value for money. Everything we produce at the General Burgoyne is of the highest quality, and we would never compromise our values by using cheaper alternatives in order to reduce the price.

I am struggling to establish when you may have visited as I cannot recall the last lunchtime we had run out of anything, but as mentioned previously everything is freshly prepared to order, and as such if a dish is particularly popular we do occasionally sell out, but always offer a comparative replacement.

Once again I apologise your experience did not meet your expectations. Should you wish to discuss any points in further detail I would be happy to do so either over the phone or in person rather than through the anonymous medium of tripadvisor.