“GLAD WE STAYED AT THE GREYHOUND” 5 of 5 stars

The Greyhound Hotel
Main Street | Cumbria, Shap CA10 3PW , England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Shap
camberley
“GLAD WE STAYED AT THE GREYHOUND”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Our stay was excellent the staff where very friendly and helpful they could not do enough for you to make your stay very pleasant.
Food was all cooked by Chris the chef and the menus where magnificent with a lot of choices so we where able to have some thing different every night.
Breakfast where very good with a nice selection to choose from,although grapefruit segments would be nice The rooms were nice clean tidy and very nice to stay in. Very well presented ,also very comfortable nights sleep..
The Greyhound is very dog friendly we where allowed to let our two dogs stay under the table when we there in both the bar and in the bar eating area. but not the restaurant.
We have been recommending the Greyhound to our friends for both a place to stay and to go e for a meal.
We will certainly be staying there again and going there for a meal.
very well done to all the staff for a very nice happy time with you.
From 3-8-2013 to 12-8-2013.
Thanks to Julie,Chris , Jane and all the staff.

Colin & Jackie (Wallice & Gromit)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

As we were staying in a B&B in Shap on our Coast to Coast walk, we eat here as it was by far the most convenient. It was mid week so the place, which is large had only a few customers. A good selection of cask ales, which of those tasted, all were in good condition. Serving six ales in a pub without the turnover is difficult, but they seem to have it right.

The service was excellent, although not all of the wide choice of menu was available. Although I thought the lamb I was served wasn't great, my friends thought their choices were good or very good. For the latter, I have raise the score from average to very good. I understand that at the time of or visit, it had only been reopened a couple of weeks.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We are absolutely chuffed to bits to see the Greyhound reopen after shutting earlier in the year. There is now new owners and like all new businesses it takes time to get things right so we have faith and patience in them.

I suspect some of the negative reviews either don't know that its been closed for months and is run by a new team or allowed any consideration whilst in their early days. We can already see in the few weeks a massive difference.

We first popped in for a drink and received a very warm welcome and told them how pleased we were to see them open and they talked through with us what they had done to the place and what future plans they have. We then had dinner one night on the way home from work and in fairness they got my order wrong as I asked for no mushy peas but I still got them, however it wasn't enough for me to get so upset about it. I just pushed it to the side of my plate and I though my meal was ok but I wasn't raving about it. Anyway we tried to get a table on Saturday night last weekend and it was full so we all ate in the bar and had a fantastic meal. We noticed the menu had changed and we all ordered very different meals and tried everyone's which all of them was lovely. There was definitely a big difference within just a few weeks of the quality of food. We have also noticed that when we first went in their wine selection was poor but again this has improved greatly so they are getting better and better as time is progressing.

This review is not about the accommodation but a dining/pub experience however we have previously stayed and know the size and quality of rooms are good and I understand from the staff that the refurbishment didn't cover the bedrooms as they were all in fairly good condition in the first place.

The hotel, bar and restaurant are dog friendly, family friendly, walkers friendly. In fact as far as I know I think they would welcome anyone and I wish them all the best to make a success of it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Keighley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Had a really lovely stay at the Greyhound hotel on 10/8/2013 just stayed the one night but was well impressed with the food (the best mussells i've ever tasted ) and the accomodation was comfortable and well worth the money , The staff were welcoming and nothing was too much trouble for them will definately be returning.Thanks to Julie and the staff keep up the good work see you again soon we hope.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We've just returned from a week in Reagill. We stopped in the pub for a meal and we were met with a friendly welcome and invited to bring our Whippet in. The pub was very smart and had a fine selection of Ales, the Black Sheep was superb. The food was excellent, my sirloin steak cooked well and the children enjoyed themselves.The value for money was excellent and the views to the hills lovely.we returned twice more and for the second meal the gent serving at the bar even gave our dog a Bonio. Highly recommend this place, the staff were great. Had a good chat to the Chef and if up that way again would definitely go there again for sure.

• Stayed August 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We last ate at the Greyhound on a Friday evening a couple of years ago, and had a perfectly good no frills pub grub dinner.
Last weekend, we were again heading North, and though it was a bit early, decided to divert for a Sunday lunch. We were the first couple in, arriving and ordering about 10 minutes before a large group of walkers, so congratulated ourselves on our timing. We sat admiring what appeared to be an attractive refurbishment. However, for some reason, it took 45 minutes for a thin slice of only just cooked gammon and the worst burger I have ever had to arrive. The "Greyhound Burger" was a finely chopped bulk catering burger in a bun, with some cheese or mayonnaise smeared on the inside of the top of the bun. The chips which came with it were undercooked. All I could eat was the small side salad. I wanted to complain, but after having read the previous reviewer's attempt to complain, I'm glad I didn't.
The only redeeming feature was serving local bottled water.

Room Tip: We didn't stay and probably never will
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlisle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

we called in for lunch at around 1200hrs, we were the only ones in and ordered our food which took over 30 mins to arrive, people who came in 15 minutes after us were served at the same time. when the meal did arrive it was not as requested or described.. I requested no pineapple with my gammon and was given it and the ham egg chips and peas came without the peas. the eggs were under cooked and when we complained the chef came out angrily asking what was wrong with them. the white around the yoke was not cooked. The meals were taken back and the eggs were reheated and further cooked. We will not be going back!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Greyhound Hotel? Share your experiences!