“A wonderful place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Moorcock Inn
Garsdale Head, Sedbergh LA10 5PU , England   |
Ranked #8 of 12 Sedbergh B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A wonderful place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

I can't believe the last two reviewers stayed at the same Moorcock Inn I did! We have stayed there twice, most recently being two weeks ago, and we have loved every minute of my visits. The atmosphere is great and the food is outstanding. I too have been disapointed when the daily specials have run out - but I see this as nothing more than the mark of a very successful restaurant- and have always been happy with the alternative dishes recommended to me by Caz and her team. She has even made a special vegetarian dish for me and my partner literally lives for the Moorcock Hotpot with all the trimmings! The Moorcock is situated in the most beautiful part of the Dales and the walks and views are wonderful. The pub is very traditional in its look and at its best when the fire is lit on colder nights. However the upstairs rooms could not be more different. They are modern - almost 'boutique' in style and very clean and comfortable. The addition of the pub cat (is he called Guiness or Whiskey?) is a welcome guest too as are what can only be described as the 'old codgers' who regularly keep the end of the bar warm. A wonderful place, that has never let us down.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Prescot, Merseyside
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

Having ate at The Moorcock last year (superb), we were eager to revisit. However, the atmosphere wasnt on this particlar occasion very welcoming, with Kaz (?) giving the impression that customers were more of a hindrance than a welcome. The atmosphere from behind the bar between staff was particulary sour, and I did see one poor old gentleman treated very off-handedly.
However, food was great, but we left as soon as we could (no deserts, coffee or extra drinks, just wanted out). I hope that this is not the start of a decline, but if this is the atmosphere then it will put people off.
It certainly has us

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
cazcampo, Owner at Moorcock Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2010
Having read this review I wanted to personally respond and apologise for what I can only hope was a one off situation. I have always been proud that so many of our guests and customers comment on the warm welcome they receive at the Moorcock and of how well our team of staff get on. The weekend in question was during Appleby week which is always one of our most stressful times and so I can only assume that something had occurred which had effected the atmosphere at that time. This is no excuse however and I am really saddened that it spoiled your evening and left you let down. I am glad that you enjoyed your meal but I thoroughly understand that no matter the quality of the food if the atmosphere is wrong then the entire evening is spoiled. I offer my apologies again and hope that this response goes a little way to putting right what went wrong on your visit.
Caz Field
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

The Moorcock is a wonderful place! I have been a few times now and everytime I have not been disappointed! The welcome when you arrive is great - it is like going home! The rooms are spotless and very comfortable - just what you need after a long day walking. The food was fantastic - I had the Chicken Wensleydale, all I can say is melt in the mouth!! Caz and her staff are really friendly!

I am already planning my next visit!

Cheers guys for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

What a busy place this turned out to be even though it is miles from a village or town. Everybody at the Moorcock chatted to us and made us feel welcome. It was a pleasure to return to the cosy pub for a drink after a day's walking.
After a quick change it was back down to the bar for another drink and a fantastic meal. I would particularly recommend the game stew although the Moorcock hotpot came close second.
There is a very friendly cat called Guiness who I must admit managed to sneak into our bed room with a bit of enticement from my husband and he, the cat not my husband ,spent some considerable time on the television trying to decide whether to explore the top of the wardrobe!
If you like staying in a small friendly pub serving good ale and home-cooked food, look no further. Don't all book up at once because I am going back soon!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Shropshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

The welcome was so warm. Simon and Kaz have really put everything into this Inn. The room (Wensleydale) was comfortable and spotless. Usual facilities in the room: tea/coffee/chocolate making stuff, small en suite with bath sheets and hand towels. The food was just amazing. Good quality and variation and in very generous portions. The breakfast similarly good. A selection of Veggie dishes were also available. The bar was comfortable and relaxing with a varies selection of Beers, Wines and spirits (the selection of whiskies took up one section). It is quite dark inside but this only adds to the atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Blackpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

We stayed Friday and Saturday on a walking holiday. I origionally only selected the Moorcock as they allow dogs, but what a find! We had a brilliant weekend. The owners and staff were all very friendly and helpful. Words cannot describe how good the food was. There was a good selection of beers and wine, which helped give me the best nights sleep I've ever had. The entire place is full of character with a very welcoming relaxing atmosphere.
My only gripe would be that the TV did not work properly, but who wants to sit in your bedroom when you can sit in a bar full of friendly people.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

The Moorcock is primarily a pub with guest rooms, with fantastic food in the evening and loads of character. Saturdays can get very busy. Its only five miles from Hawes, but not along the best of A roads, expect a slow journey.

The room (Garsdale) was large, the bed somewhat uncomfortable, TV poor, shower adequate. Breakfasts were good, but not the best, or the largest. I left with a feeling that guests were tolerated because they brought in good money, rather than welcome. Whereas the pub was the real business and passion.

On reflection for those like myself who wanted a base from which to explore the region, I should have chosen to stay in Hawes or better still Leyburn, but I imagine experienced walkers would love the Moorcock. And, as a place to eat its a great choice.

I'd probably recommend this inn to a friend, but with reservations, and only as base or stop off for walking the Dales.

Driving through the Dales, particularly through to Richmond via Nateby was a real highlight, Swaledale is beautiful and Reeth must be the village with the best views in Yorkshire.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Moorcock Inn? Share your experiences!