“Left deflated...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 Sedbergh B&B and Inns
Prescot, Merseyside
“Left deflated...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

Having ate at The Moorcock last year (superb), we were eager to revisit. However, the atmosphere wasnt on this particlar occasion very welcoming, with Kaz (?) giving the impression that customers were more of a hindrance than a welcome. The atmosphere from behind the bar between staff was particulary sour, and I did see one poor old gentleman treated very off-handedly.
However, food was great, but we left as soon as we could (no deserts, coffee or extra drinks, just wanted out). I hope that this is not the start of a decline, but if this is the atmosphere then it will put people off.
It certainly has us

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
cazcampo, Owner at Moorcock Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2010
Having read this review I wanted to personally respond and apologise for what I can only hope was a one off situation. I have always been proud that so many of our guests and customers comment on the warm welcome they receive at the Moorcock and of how well our team of staff get on. The weekend in question was during Appleby week which is always one of our most stressful times and so I can only assume that something had occurred which had effected the atmosphere at that time. This is no excuse however and I am really saddened that it spoiled your evening and left you let down. I am glad that you enjoyed your meal but I thoroughly understand that no matter the quality of the food if the atmosphere is wrong then the entire evening is spoiled. I offer my apologies again and hope that this response goes a little way to putting right what went wrong on your visit.
Caz Field

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

The Moorcock is a wonderful place! I have been a few times now and everytime I have not been disappointed! The welcome when you arrive is great - it is like going home! The rooms are spotless and very comfortable - just what you need after a long day walking. The food was fantastic - I had the Chicken Wensleydale, all I can say is melt in the mouth!! Caz and her staff are really friendly!

I am already planning my next visit!

Cheers guys for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

What a busy place this turned out to be even though it is miles from a village or town. Everybody at the Moorcock chatted to us and made us feel welcome. It was a pleasure to return to the cosy pub for a drink after a day's walking.
After a quick change it was back down to the bar for another drink and a fantastic meal. I would particularly recommend the game stew although the Moorcock hotpot came close second.
There is a very friendly cat called Guiness who I must admit managed to sneak into our bed room with a bit of enticement from my husband and he, the cat not my husband ,spent some considerable time on the television trying to decide whether to explore the top of the wardrobe!
If you like staying in a small friendly pub serving good ale and home-cooked food, look no further. Don't all book up at once because I am going back soon!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Shropshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

The welcome was so warm. Simon and Kaz have really put everything into this Inn. The room (Wensleydale) was comfortable and spotless. Usual facilities in the room: tea/coffee/chocolate making stuff, small en suite with bath sheets and hand towels. The food was just amazing. Good quality and variation and in very generous portions. The breakfast similarly good. A selection of Veggie dishes were also available. The bar was comfortable and relaxing with a varies selection of Beers, Wines and spirits (the selection of whiskies took up one section). It is quite dark inside but this only adds to the atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Blackpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

We stayed Friday and Saturday on a walking holiday. I origionally only selected the Moorcock as they allow dogs, but what a find! We had a brilliant weekend. The owners and staff were all very friendly and helpful. Words cannot describe how good the food was. There was a good selection of beers and wine, which helped give me the best nights sleep I've ever had. The entire place is full of character with a very welcoming relaxing atmosphere.
My only gripe would be that the TV did not work properly, but who wants to sit in your bedroom when you can sit in a bar full of friendly people.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

The Moorcock is primarily a pub with guest rooms, with fantastic food in the evening and loads of character. Saturdays can get very busy. Its only five miles from Hawes, but not along the best of A roads, expect a slow journey.

The room (Garsdale) was large, the bed somewhat uncomfortable, TV poor, shower adequate. Breakfasts were good, but not the best, or the largest. I left with a feeling that guests were tolerated because they brought in good money, rather than welcome. Whereas the pub was the real business and passion.

On reflection for those like myself who wanted a base from which to explore the region, I should have chosen to stay in Hawes or better still Leyburn, but I imagine experienced walkers would love the Moorcock. And, as a place to eat its a great choice.

I'd probably recommend this inn to a friend, but with reservations, and only as base or stop off for walking the Dales.

Driving through the Dales, particularly through to Richmond via Nateby was a real highlight, Swaledale is beautiful and Reeth must be the village with the best views in Yorkshire.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Doncaster, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

We have been to the Moorcock a few times before for dinner and this was our first time staying bed and breakfast. The rooms are clean and have everything you would expect. The water may be a shock to the unintiated as it smells quite nasty, but you have to expect this as it comes straight from a well. The position of the Moorock is 6 miles from Hawes and is on its own except for a few houses. The food is good with a wide variety available. Everything seems to be home cooked and locally bought. The beer was great, copper dragon, tetleys, black sheep plus guest. Owners are pleasent people and staff are very friendly. Garsdale station a good 15 minute walk away is an absolute gem on the settle carlisle railway. Next time we stay we will consider ditching the car and taking the train. There is a private hire taxi company next door, so if you do want to go anywhere, this is an option. Wifi is throughout. My only critisism would be that occasionally i would be given a glass that looked unclean, I wasn't too sure whether that was down to the local water.
Overall we wouldn't hesitste recommending this place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Moorcock Inn? Share your experiences!