“Fantastic weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 Sedbergh B&B and Inns
York, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Myself and my partner spent a long weekend here taking advantage of the very good three for two offer on B&B. Even without the offer, the prices were very reasonable. The room was clean, and modern with no over the top clutter like you see in some places - just nice and relaxed.

Downstairs, the lovely old building has been well decorated with modern style complementing the original features. Some lovely soft sofas next to the fire are very cosy! Just outside the bar is a useful area for those coming in from walking with muddy and wet gear. Being January, it was of course very quiet but I can imagine it gets pretty busy in Summer.
We had a bar meal each of the three nights we were there and each time it was fantastic. Lots of menu choices for a winter menu and the meals were in front of us before we knew it! Some of the best value food I’ve ever had in a pub - tasty, hearty, and plenty of it!
Being winter, the bar was quiet with just a couple of other guests around who didn’t stick around the bar very late, however we had such a good time just drinking a chatting with the land-ladies until the wee small hours.

Breakfast, again was just as good as the evening meals with some nice choices such as smoked salmon which you don’t see that often on a breakfast menu.

All-in-all, a great relaxed weekend in a remote pub with fantastic views and in a great location for walking. We’ll definitely be back in Summer and try to get over for a meal whenever we’re nearby.

Thanks very much to Caz and Catherine for making us feel so welcome.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Before going to the Moorcock, I read a lot of the reviews on this website, so I was aware that there seems to be a bit of a split between very good and very bad reviews.

The pub is very cosy and warm, especially with the fire going, which makes a lovely contrast with the bleak hills outside. We stayed for two nights and found the bed very comfy, well-stocked with pillows, and the room very clean (except for one small hair on the sink which did not bother us at all).

I got on well with both the ladies who run this pub, and got involved in a few conversations with residents and pub regulars, although I also spent a few happy hours on the other side of the pub, ignoring everyone with a book and a glass of sherry.

The food was great, lovely pub grub - I had some very nice scampi with some fabulous mash, and the brussels with roast chestnuts and sesame seeds deserve a mention. I also had a very good sausage sandwich for breakfast.

The bar is very well-stocked, with one side devoted almost entirely to whisky, and the other side full of unusual liqueurs - when I visited they had saki, which is not the kind of thing you expect to find in a pub in the middle of nowhere! The barmaid was able to recommend me a few new drinks to try based on my sweet tooth and her recommendations went down very well.

I'm considering going back later in the year; I loved the relaxed atmosphere, the instant inclusion in local goings-on, and the tasty food. I know there are a few negative reviews on this website, and it's worth mentioning that the Moorcock IS a pub, not a restaurant, so there is no table service; and that if you stand at the bar and don't speak to the barmaid, it's possible that you will get ignored - which I personally like, since it gives me the choice to sit quietly at the bar and not be bothered by over-helpful staff.

The building is old and idiosyncratic, but clean and cosy - our room seemed to have a slight list to it, and the floorboards were slightly uneven under the thick and snuggly carpet. If you'd prefer that to the cookie-cutter blandness and uniformity of a Travelodge, and you don't mind starting a conversation, I would absolutely recommend the Moorcock.

Room Tip: If you want a double bed as opposed to a twin bed, ask when booking - we did and were given a family...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We found the Moorcock Inn on the internet when looking for a nice place to hide from all the NYE parties for a couple of nights. It seemed perfect: in the middle of nowhere, good food, gay friendly, open fire in the bar and sofas to relax on.

In reality, it was even better! Owners Caz & Catherine made us feel welcome from the moment we stepped through the door in to the dimly lit bar. Some people say that's gloomy, I would say it was a perfect antidote against bleak weather outside: the bar was lit with fairy lights and a nice warm fire. It gave the place a cosy feeling.

We were made to feel extremely welcome, as if we were regulars instead of first time visitors. We were invited to sit with the other guests near the fire, close to the bar and were immediately included in the conversations. I am a very outgoing person and I found the attitude of the owners wonderfully direct and refreshing but I can see that some people who are a bit shy might be a bit taken aback. Not a problem, just sit yourself down on one of the sofas on the other side of the room and relax with a book. In The Moorcock, you can participate as much or as little as you wish. We stayed for 2 days and were on a first name basis with all the staff, residents and a couple of locals by the time we left!

The food was very nice and a cut above what you might normally expect in a country pub. Special mention for the wonderful potatoes (both mashed and roasted). Fabulous. Point to remember: There is no table service: You need to order your food from the bar so don't get upset if a waitress does not come to take your order. It is a pub, not a restaurant.

The bedroom and shower were very clean, the bed was comfortable and the shower had lovely strong water pressure. On NYE, we were in the bar until late but some people stayed even later. Due to the age of the building, noise from the bar might disturb your sleep if you are a light sleeper but I guess that is to be expected on NYE so I did not mind too much. From what I understand, the owners try to make sure that noise is kept to a minimum after 11pm or 'normal' nights so it won't stop me from going back again.

Breakfast was very nice with a large number of options. I loved the relaxed atmosphere. We were told there was no check-out time on New Year's Day and to just come down whenever we felt ready for breakfast. We got up late (around midday!) and were welcomed in the bar by a roaring fire. Breakfast had finished ages ago but we were immediately asked if we wanted anything to eat and they made us sausage sandwiches.

To cut a long story short: Go. We will be back, that's for sure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Went to the Moorcock inn as it was recommended by the B&B that we were staying in and was not disappointed. So happy with the food and service that we went both nIghts of our stay. Nothing was too much trouble, generous portions and excellent value for money.

• Stayed October 2012
Grisedale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I love this pub and particularly its atmosphere - it is so unlike other pubs - it is relaxed, friendly and welcoming. Many pubs are intimidating for a woman - this place is as comfortable as sitting at home - it has even got sofas and cats! Other reviews got me really angry - if you want waitress service then go to a restaurant - this is a PUB - sometimes it gets busy, sometimes it takes a while for the food to be prepared. It's in the middle of nowhere - a haven from the weather or the 8 mile drive to the nearest civilisation. If you want city speed service then stay in the city - please.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed one night at the Moorcock Inn to have a weekend walking in the Dales.Just a short drive from Hawes, the pub is in a really picturesque setting close to the railway station at Garsdale and is perfectly located for some fabulous walks.The room we had was clean and comfortable and the food was excellent.My husband had a delicious lamb shank and my game and chestnut stew was a real treat!Just a shame we had no room left for pudding! We will definitely return!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Beverley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We were staying nearby in a self-catering place, and only found this place on our last night, which is a shame because it was the best meal all week! It was Fri night and very busy, we hadn't booked so were lucky to be squeezed in. The menu is great, with lots of country-style food, hotpots, game pies, that sort of thing, everything that I saw being taken to other tables looked lovely. Friday is grill night, with 2 sirloin steaks or 2 gammons with all the trimmings, for about £18. The staff were busy, but pleasant and friendly. The pub is old-fashioned, but if you want a modern, bijou, state-of-the-art place go to London or Liverpool for a city break, not the wilds or the beautiful Yorkshire Dales!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Moorcock Inn? Share your experiences!