“Great place to stay ” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   The Hill, Millom LA18 5EZ, England   |
Ranked #8 of 12 Millom B&B and Inns
“Great place to stay ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Cannot find fault with the place, staff very friendly and helpful. The food is first class and an evening meal is not to be missed.
If you're looking for a few days away give Underwood house a try, we'll definitely go again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I wasn't looking forward to staying here after reading some reviews and word of mouth but decided to give it a go. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw my room. Perfectly clean and nicely decorated. The evening meal was delicious. Downside waa it was quite noisy witg children running around screaming. They weren't guests and this hotel still seems to be run or at least owned by the previous family. It would be helpful if breakfast could start earlier as I missed it every morning as I had to be at work by eight. Also I wasn't warned that there was no evening meal on one night. I was given a long unconvincing tale about the chef not being around. Really inconvenient when you're not that close to anything else. Luckily there was some complementary fruit in the room. I think this hotel could be lovely but it lacks professionalism and attention. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

One of the best places I have visited. Lovely room, food exquisite, very friendly and accommodating staff. We were gob smacked when we were told our evening meal was included in the price we paid. A little gem of a place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Sarah T, Manager at Underwood House, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you very much for your lovely review, we always appreciate good and constructive feedback, even more so when we are in the middle of huge renovations. Thanks again, dinner on us!
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I will treasure this trip because of the company but wouldn't rush back to rebook this particular accommodation.
We booked in Millom primarily because it was more reasonable than many areas in Cumbria in high season. we stayed in a lodge adjacent to the main property. Without sat nav we wouldn't have found the site as we couldn't see any signage but up the windy path, hearing the birds singing and sheep baaing and nothing else we immediately felt relaxed. Sarah, the owner, is very welcoming and most patient to help customers with directions and recommendations. We took a taxi into the village centre to eat and the local Italian again looked after us and fed us well. Millom is a very quiet rural place and whilst we slept in a lodge that slept 6 we were soon settled but our son and his girlfriend were challenged by a very hard sofa bed. The shower wasn't working which we didn't know in advance but the beautiful heated pool close by has facilities and is a real delight in the hotel and kept lovely and warm for the children. Toiletries, fresh fruit and ample tea/ coffee are are available in the room. Overall the lodge accommodation needs refreshing and whilst we get away a lot it might be disappointing to someone wanting a special treat taker
than a base. Breakfast felt a little too budget in that you could have continental or hot or a limited combination of both. I think it would be better just to have porridge or cornflakes available to all as it could be done cheaply enough and the full english padded out with cheaper items. I fully appreciate that businesses need to make a profit!! Anything we asked for was bought with a smile & nothing too much trouble.
Overall, this is a friendly place and a good base for people wanting somewhere to lay their hat at the end of a long day. Millom is a great little rural village and far form the hustle x bustle of the old faithful of the lakes for those wanting an authentic village stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Sarah T, Manager at Underwood House, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your review. We found your comments very constructive and the lodge is now being totally renovated, including a new shower cubicle and bath. I would like to apologise for the disappointing breakfast, I am not sure how this happened but can confirm that we serve a full continental including, ham, cereals, fruit salad, yoghurts, juice and then we offer a full English breakfast comprising of Waberthwaite sausage, bacon and black pudding, a local company that is HRH approved. We would love it if you came again and I will personally make sure you have an excellent breakfast
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We spent two nights here recently. The room was comfortable,if a bit tired,however the food was excellent and the staff very helpful and obliging.! Just one small point,however,could there be more music choice,as there only appeared to be one cd,and it got a bit repetitive! The only other negative was the price of the wine! I would definitely recommend this hotel. :-)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sarah T, Manager at Underwood House, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your lovely review. I am so sorry about the music, we have since bought a new CD system with new CD's that don't jump. Sorry it has taken so long to reply, it has been so busy.
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

I recently stopped at the Underwood on a business trip-I found the hotel to be warm and cosy-the staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for you and the food was spot on - I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed in the annex, and there was no shower! We were very surprised, however, to find that there was a pool, and that did have a shower. The dinner was very nice, there was a good but slightly pricey wine list.
Overall, I'd say to not have massively high expectations and you'll be ok.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Underwood House? Share your experiences!