“Excellent campsite!” 5 of 5 stars

Fisherground Campsite
Fellside Cottage, Eskdale CA19 1TF, England   |
“Excellent campsite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a 3 night stay and had a fantastic time. Was greeted by friendly staff who were helpful in every way throughout our stay. Was joined by friends on the Saturday and they reserved us a pitch next door. The whole site was very well organised and excellent facilities. Great little adventure park for the kids and no late night noise. Really made it for us having an open fire and a delivery of firewood every day. Will definitely be revisiting.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Whaley Bridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

we stayed twice once in the cottage and then in one of lodges, both times in January.

The lodges are lovely especially that time of year as the place is so quiet no campers.

The lodge had a wood burning stove, was clean and modernly decorated, the garden is not fenced off which did not matter for our dog as the place was so quiet.

We love the eskdale valley excellent dog friendly pubs, amazing walks, scenic and so so quiet in winter.

Would keep in mind that Fisher Ground is a hub of family friendly activity in the summer so this place is more suitable for couples in winter or out of peak times, otherwise screaming brats everywhere around your lodge,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights camping it was absolutely beautiful. Camp site was great with fire pits, lovely play area for the kids. The wardens John and Ken were lovely and very friendly would do anything to help you. My little boy had an amazing time and we didnt want to come home. I have seen a few reviews people complaining about the toilets and showers but what more do you want your camping your not in a 5* hotel. They are kept very clean all the time. Will defiently be returning here very soon!

• Stayed June 2013
Preston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed here last night with one other family.
We turned up Saturday morning and were a bit surprised to see the notice saying minimum 2 nights when in fact we only wanted the Saturday night. It turns out the 2 night rule only applies if you turn up on a Friday.
We had a great time helped by the good weather. My wife who had said last year she would never camp again so liked it she would definitely do so once more.
The site surroundings as mentioned by others are splendid. The pitches are level on well maintained grass. We particularly liked the fire pits and did a good barbeque on one helped by the supply of wood from the log man.
The toilet facilities were very clean regularly checked out and mopped out by the team of wardens. They perhaps need a slight bit of updating.
Unlike some moaners in other reviews we had no problems with the friendly wardens.
A fine site in this lovely area of the Lakes. Just do not go there by the Hardknott pass as it can be a bit scary to some. We called in at the Wasdale Head Inn for an excellent pub lunch on the way back home.
Fisherground camp site is well recommended.

Room Tip: Best routes from the south are via Broughton in Furness and Ulpha or if wet go all way round by the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed May Bank Holiday for three nights and we thought it was one of the nicest campsites we have been to. The sunshine may have helped a little! The facilities are lovely for children and especially the ice cream van that made a daily appearance. Having the log man deliver the logs everyday to your tent was also an added bonus and we made some lovely camp fires toasting marshmallows. The staff were very friendly although we did see someone having difficulty with car parking spaces (which has been mentioned in a previous remark) however we didnt have any problems. Local Pub is very nice serving nice food and there is also a free lift by an army truck if you want to go to a different pub which served stonebaked pizzas etc. Lovely walks and views in a gorgeous part of the Lakes. The only downside is that it would be useful to have more than one hairdryer. The bathrooms were regularly cleaned and adequate. Also they had boot dryers and tumble dryers for kids wet clothes and also a freezer to refreeze your ice blocks which was useful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

The site owner had clearly rammed as many tents as possible onto the avaliable space, quite how it complied with any site licence is beyond me! The sheer volume of people made the facilities over crowded and not very clean. The site was noisy with people playing guitars till gone 23:00, the tents were that close together (little more than a meter apart)I could hear other people's conversations in at least 4 different tents.

I loved the lakes and will be returning, just not to this campsite!

• Stayed May 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Just got back from a 3 night stay and am appalled at the behaviour and attitude of the owner!!
I have to say that we have stayed there several times before and have always been generally very happy with everything until this weekend.
Upon arriving to an empty site we were instructed to park our car in an empty field some 300 yards away from our pitch as we were told that they were expecting large numbers and were going to be very busy. This wasn't too inconvenient at the time as we weren't planning on using the car that day.
We had had 2 days of glorious sunshine but unfortunately on the last day the heavens opened whilst we were packing up so I parked the car on the grass verge as there weren't any available spaces on the gravel due to large overcrowding as the owner had crammed as many people into the site as possible!
As soon as I'd got out of my car to help my wife and 2 young children pack everything away in the torrential rain I was met by the owner who told me to move my car back to the gravel area some 80 yards away! I told him that he couldn't expect me to carry all the heavy equipment that far and that I would only be half an hour to which he said it wasn't a request and to move it immediately as cars weren't allowed on the grass!
I said I wasn't being funny and that I wasn't very happy as I had paid the best part of a £100 for 3 nights stay and had to park my car 300 yards away to which he replied that he wasn't being funny and that he wasn't a very nice person when he was being funny!!!
At this point he was becoming rather aggressive and I told him not to use threatening behaviour with me!
He then told me never to come to the site again!!!
As I had my wife and 2 young children with me I opted to walk away as I didn't want them getting upset.
In the past 3 years I and my relatives have spent in excess of £600 with this excuse of a man and will not be spending another penny with him due to his lack of care for the paying customer when at the end of the day his own greed had caused the problem in the first place!
I look after four hundred clients in my profession and if I treated and spoke to them like that I would be out of a job!
Thanks for ruining my long awaited weekend away!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Fisherground Campsite? Share your experiences!