“The owners need to remember that without the customers they wouldn't have a business!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Fisherground Campsite

You added Fisherground Campsite to your Saves list
Fisherground Campsite
Fellside Cottage, Eskdale CA19 1TF, England   |
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Just got back from a 3 night stay and am appalled at the behaviour and attitude of the owner!!
I have to say that we have stayed there several times before and have always been generally very happy with everything until this weekend.
Upon arriving to an empty site we were instructed to park our car in an empty field some 300 yards away from our pitch as we were told that they were expecting large numbers and were going to be very busy. This wasn't too inconvenient at the time as we weren't planning on using the car that day.
We had had 2 days of glorious sunshine but unfortunately on the last day the heavens opened whilst we were packing up so I parked the car on the grass verge as there weren't any available spaces on the gravel due to large overcrowding as the owner had crammed as many people into the site as possible!
As soon as I'd got out of my car to help my wife and 2 young children pack everything away in the torrential rain I was met by the owner who told me to move my car back to the gravel area some 80 yards away! I told him that he couldn't expect me to carry all the heavy equipment that far and that I would only be half an hour to which he said it wasn't a request and to move it immediately as cars weren't allowed on the grass!
I said I wasn't being funny and that I wasn't very happy as I had paid the best part of a £100 for 3 nights stay and had to park my car 300 yards away to which he replied that he wasn't being funny and that he wasn't a very nice person when he was being funny!!!
At this point he was becoming rather aggressive and I told him not to use threatening behaviour with me!
He then told me never to come to the site again!!!
As I had my wife and 2 young children with me I opted to walk away as I didn't want them getting upset.
In the past 3 years I and my relatives have spent in excess of £600 with this excuse of a man and will not be spending another penny with him due to his lack of care for the paying customer when at the end of the day his own greed had caused the problem in the first place!
I look after four hundred clients in my profession and if I treated and spoke to them like that I would be out of a job!
Thanks for ruining my long awaited weekend away!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed on the site for an early Easter break (19th - 21st March). We were the only ones on site but enjoyed the peace an quiet and the wardens/site caretakers were very helpful and friendly they made the stay very enjoyable and we'll certainly be back again.

The pitches were good quality and we were shown to one which suited our needs (tent size) and that was near the washing block. Each pitch has a fire pit for our use and wood/fire lighters are for sale at a reasonable price. The washroom was unheated but we only noticed because the weather was very cold during our stay but having camped for many years we expect this. The showers were coin operated (50p) which gave a strong hot shower enough for me to wash my hair and self with enough time to spare.

We left a night early because of the weather forecast of strong winds and heavy snow, we're glad we did as the pictures on Twitter the next day would have meant we'd have been stranded otherwise.

I would recommend this site and we'll be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We booked 2 of the lodges for our family summer hol. The lodges were clean and well stocked. The grounds were tidy and safe for my 3 year olds to run about on. The owners and neighbours were more than happy to advise us on where to go. And added bonus of the ice cream van that called daily! Great location, clean safe and friendly. Enjoyed every second.

• Stayed August 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed in the lodge last xmas, booked for the week and left after 3 sleepless nights.
The lodge creaked and cracked all night long every night and therefore no sleep!
Owners didn't even bother asking why we left early, but then with £500 ish quid in hand why would they?
Old tired cabin.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else if you want sleep
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
carlisle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Have visited this campsite about 5 times over the last 10 years, and have noted recent comments. We visited on a dry weekend in September and have to say it was idyllic.
As the crowds have clearly left we had a lovely peaceful campsite with a few fellow friendly campers.
I took 4 girls with me, 10 to 12 years old, and they loved it again. I think this is the ideal site to take children, they love the ponds and streams for paddling, the playground works well, and the joy of sitting round a campfire toasting marshmallows makes for a memorable weekend.
As for the wardens i found that as long as you engaged them in some chat and didn't do anything daft then all was fine. The signs in the toilets raise a smile "Only for drying hands" under the hand dryer!

We took the train to Boot and then walked back along the river, via the George pub, just down the road. A treat for real ale fans.
Overall my advice would be best enjoyed with kids, go out of the main season, and make the most of one of the most beautiful locations in the country

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Lee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed for the first time for 5 nights over the bank holiday weekend and it will be the last. Having camped for the last 30 years on large and small sites I have to say that the location of this site along with the surround area makes it one of the best, but that’s where the plaudits end. I’d read the other reviews about the age and condition of the toilet block and was a bit apprehensive as we have 2 young children and it was a bank holiday but we had no problems queuing and they were clean (ish) most of the time, although 50p for a very short (albeit warm) shower is expensive. The real problem is the attitude of the owners and wardens. They treat you like you are actually trespassing on their land, and seem to have lost the fact that we are in fact paying customers. I agree with the rules on noise, driving slow etc. but the message is repeatedly rammed down your throat at every opportunity and the constant patrolling of the site by Alison leaves you feeling like a naughty school child waiting to be told off for one petty reason or another. Having spoken to a number of other campers it appears that virtually every single one had been spoken to, either about parking the car in the wrong place, pitching a gazebo facing the wrong direction, riding bikes the wrong way round the one way system etc. etc. Another rule that isn’t advertised on the website but you should be aware of if you are looking to a stay for more than 5 nights is that you are required to move your tent and all your belongings on the 6th day of your stay, in order to preserve the grass!!!!!

After chatting with a couple of the non-cloned wardens (who were helpful and friendly) it was apparent that the number of tents was significantly down on last year. I now know why in a boom time for camping why this site always has vacancies. If you like Eskdale try the other site in Boot which is only 1 mile up the road.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We have just returned from Fisherground campsite. We chose it initially because of the fire pits and the activities for children i.e. the lake, rope swings, etc. We took our own dinghy which was really useful. We went for 4 nights and stayed for 11 it was so good. Yes, it rained, it poured, it hailstoned, but we had a fantastic time. The staff are strict regarding the firepits, quite right too, as the campsite is in the National Park. The staff were really helpful and I would thoroughly recommend this site.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Fisherground Campsite? Share your experiences!