“A revelation to my companion” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Cartmel
Cuisines: Contemporary, Eclectic
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Liverpool
“A revelation to my companion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The majority of the reviews of this restaurant are favourable, and with justification. Reading a small minority makes me wonder slightly what those writing them expected.

We had lunch on a snowy Wednesday in February. Getting into and out of Cartmel was a challenge but we were keen not to miss the chance to try L’Enclume, and were very glad we got through the snow.

The options on offer were a six-course lunch or a thirteen-course tasting menu. We had the six course lunch, which was hugely enjoyable, leaving us feeling that we had eaten well without over-eating.

Each of the courses was small but of high quality, inventive and impressive. The third course was meant to be a venison tartare but the venison had not arrived because of the weather so we were offered a substitute dish which actually suited us both better. The final savoury course was a dish of butter-poached hake with mussel cream and really intense carrots and brassicas-not huge, just right, perfectly cooked and absolutely delicious.

The two desserts were both outstanding, one being a sea buckthorn dish which I think formed part of Simon Rogan’s Great British Menu entry a while ago and the other a rhubarb, yoghurt mousse, nut and sorrel dish. My companion is not generally enthusiastic about this type of cooking, preferring plainer food, but she felt that this was really exceptional, and food which to her surprise she really enjoyed.

We drank with our meal an English Chardonnay, Gusborne, which was first rate. Service was spot on. We were in a conservatory looking out onto a snow-covered garden, which enhanced the occasion although it would I suspect have been equally delightful without the snow. The restaurant was not full but transport conditions were poor so hardly surprising.

Lunch for two was £70. With three glasses of wine, two coffees and petit fours it came to £107.76 before adding a tip. I felt it was a very fair price for a very good lunch, and would recommend the restaurant to anyone.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Bingley, United Kingdom
“Special....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Had a lovely birthday lunch this week. The staff were friendly, knowledgable and gave great service. 6 course lunch was great and would recommend. We ate at 12.30 and bit quiet when we arrived as we like a bit of atmosphere so I'd book for 1.30pm if went again. The waiter suggested a Kent Pinot Noir which was surprisingly good as I'd never had an English wine before.

Personalised menu's were a nice touch, would return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“simply the best place to eat-ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

2nd time here, 1st after 2* status -Simon Rogan and his fantastic team of young and enthusiastic chefs, waiters, sommeliers and managers make this place different from all the rest. I read restaurant reviews, watched the man on TV last year- I think he's got the balance of accomplished cooking, the type of which us keen cooks will always enjoy yet never wish to recreate at home, with un-stuffy and comfortable dining.
Book a room, go to Cartmel, enjoy

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Perfect.......almost”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went mid-week, in the first week in January, and the place was packed! It shows just how strong a reputation Mr Rogan has and, after our first visit, I can see why. This multiple course feast was delicious, challenging and funny, sometimes all at once! The myriad flavour combinations and culinary constructions were mind boggling in the ingenuity and intensity and it was a genuine thrill to experience. My only gripe was with an aspect of the service - not the superb table waiting staff who were attentive, informative and relaxed - but with the sommelier. We opted for the wine tasting option to accompany the meal and, despite a few prompts, found his efforts at engaging with us on his wine choices perfunctory at best. I would have thought any customer seeking further details on his selections would have been met with some enthusiasm, but this was not the case. Anyway, a minor gripe and it certainly didn't spoil what was a superb dinner and a wonderful evening. We shall return!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Very special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hubby treated me for a special birthday and I was not disappointed absolutely fabulous.
The service and food both excellent well worth the money
17 courses all beautifully presented ... You may not love every course ( there was one course I wasn't keen on artichoke) but it was an experience.
13 savoury and 4 sweet a perfect split for me. Lots of fish courses but if you are a meat lover as my husband is you may be a little disappointed as we only had one meat course
It is quite expensive but worth every penny and we will go back again ...... Enjoy

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere