“Great Pub” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Oak Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cartmel
Royal Oak Inn
You added Royal Oak Inn to your Saves list
The Square, Cartmel, Grange-over-Sands LA11 6QB, England   |
Ranked #7 of 14 Cartmel B&B and Inns
Melbourne
“Great Pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

The beer was good.The food excellent ,Staff helpful and friendly .Our party enjoyed every aspect of this pub.Parking was a bit of a pain but that would indicate how popular the place was.What more do you want in a pub.Enjoy

Room Tip: Get there early
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We went on a two day break, mid week, and it included two breakfasts, dinner and a bottle of wine. Excellent quality food, staff friendly, room very cosy, warm and clean. Only things missing where the extra toiletries you always take home. But fresh milk and, lovely towels made up for it. Parking outside is on a First come first served basis, but Cartmel has lots of parking spaces all around. A short break not to be missed, for the Priory, and the wonderful Lake District only minutes away.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

The first question you need to ask yourself is not about the Royal Oak; it's about you. Are you the kind of person who likes a pub with real ale, comfy chairs, stone floors, real fire in the lounge, quaint (not luxurious) rooms and reasonable rates? If you can answer yes to all this then it's for you. If you hit a 'No' at the rooms part of the question and you're expecting boutique chic or ultra modernism then feel free to walk away now......

Okay. Now that they've left, let's talk about my trip to this fantastic place!

My wife and I spent two nights in Cartmel at the Royal Oak at the beginning of April and we both loved it. We had a special offer through the groupon people and I would have been happy had we paid full price. I've seen comments here that bemoan the parking in Cartmel. Whilst it's true that parking becomes a patience exercise (checkout Google Earth and you'll see what I mean), this isn't the fault of the proprietors so I won't be deducting any points from my score.

The Royal Oak building is old. This mean the floors aren't dead level, some of the walls are an unusual variation on flat and there are varying nooks and crannies everywhere. For example, our shower was very compact, but I'm not a massive bloke, so it posed me no problems. If this kind of quaint isn't for you, then I'm guessing the place won't be perfect in your eyes. Everywhere was clean and tidy and we had no problems checking in at 1pm as advised.

The food was excellent, with us eating in the bar both evenings. First night was straight from the standard menu and it was terrific. A word of warning; the ribs for starters (£6.95) are marvellous. They are also a huge plate full! My wife couldn't manage all her main after them, but she wasn't complaining. Similarly, I had the steak and ale pie for my main and I fail to see how it could have had any more meat in it. Let's just say that we didn't trouble the chef for a desert afterwards.

On the second evening, the pub ran a special Thai night where a specialist chef comes in and cooks for them. The landlady (who was one of the friendliest people you could wish to meet and simply could not do enough for us) warned us the day before about the popularity of the night with the locals so that we could reserve a table. I'm glad we did; the pub was packed to the rafters all night! The Thai menu was delicious and, whilst the menu selection was quite small, there was something for everyone. I had the spicy pork mince and it was sensational. I think that this takes place on the first Wednesday of every month, so you may want to check to be sure.

The hosts were some of the best I've ever encountered and the selection of real ales & other beers was a delight. I tried most over the two nights (with the Thai night also coinciding with Champions League which the landlord put on for me on the big TV) with the local Cumbrian ales being particularly good.

So, in summary, we both said we would love to go again at some point. The rooms were good, the hospitality was beyond compare, the food was brilliant. We spoke to other people stopping over and they all said that they loved it, too. Cartmel is a lovely place to stop and I can't see me looking past the Royal Oak the next time we visit.

Room Tip: We stopped in room 2, which overlooks the beer garden. If you want a village square view, you would...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

my wife and i recently spent a couple of days at the Royal Oak.We went on a special offer and were pleasantly surprised at the high standard of food and accommodation.The menu offered was extensive and delicious.The room was very comfortable,overlooking the Square.The Inn has character and charm with some interesting photographs,showing horses ,trained locally,winning at Cheltenham.The staff were great and the breakfast would set anyone up for the day.Cartmel is a lovely place to visit and royal oak a perfect base.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Went to the Royal Oak on friday 2nd march 2012 for a meal. There were 6 of us in our party (3 couples). The starter portions were satisfying especially the ribs which my n my hubby shared n the mains were equally satisfying. Only 1 member of our party had room for a pudding which was very tasty.. We had a great evening the atmospher was lively with locals and tourists enjoying a great village pub... We will definately be back n have already recommended it to friends.....!!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012 via mobile

When staying at the Royal Oak we rented two rooms, both at a single occupancy rate, which turned out to be a little challenging initially as approval had to be gained from the owner, by me, via email, before my telephone booking was accepted.

Once we arrived the service was good. We were shown to our rooms and when the heating was a little low someone came up straightaway to check the radiator and turn up the boiler. It would have been good to have been informed about breakfast timings on arrival but the landlady made sure she passed on this information when she met us.

The room was clean, the shower was on the small side and the bed was incredibly comfortable. There was a little bit of mould on on ceiling above my shower but nothing to be concerned about.

Breakfast was prompt, tasty and varied. The landlady was keen to point out that she used local ingredients and the black pudding was especially good.

The location was excellent for us as we were visiting the nearby L'enclume restaurant. Although the square on which the pub is situated is very busy and parking was not easy there is plenty of parking at the racecourse which is a three minute walk.

Great stay and would definitely return when visiting Cartmel.

• Stayed February 2012
Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Went on a special offer and chose our meal from a restricted menu-but what we had was well cooked,tasty and well presented.The staff were extremely friendly , the service was excellent and the log fire most welcome on a chilly evening.We live locally but it was our first visit and we shall certainly go there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Oak Inn? Share your experiences!