“A real gem in one of the UK's most adorable villages!” 5 of 5 stars

Cavendish Street, Cartmel, Grange-over-Sands LA116QA, England   |
Ranked #9 of 14 Cartmel B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Armagh, United Kingdom
“A real gem in one of the UK's most adorable villages!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Myself and my partner stayed in this B&B for just one night a few weeks ago.
Upon arrival we were impressed with how efficiently the young lady behind the bar checked us in, despite having her hands full. When we got to our room we were very happy, it was clean and tidy, spacious, had fresh towels and the bathroom was pristine.
We decided to dine in the in house restaurant that night, it was fabulous! The menu had a great selection of dishes and the specials board was also plentiful. We only really expected pub grub, so we were pleasantly surprised! We really enjoyed the atmosphere in the little pub where we dined, it was so laid back and it really was the definition of an old english pub!
The breakfast the next day was also very good, with plenty of choices- cereals, fruit, full english breakfasts, scrambled eggs, toast etc.
The thing that stood out the most to us during our stay was how well trained and attentive the staff were. I really liked how personalised they were, when I asked if I could hire an iron, the young lady said she would deliver it to my room shortly, I did'nt even have to tell her which room I was in! Another staff member which stood out was the young lad who served us at breakfast, he was just fabulous, so attentive with all his tables and extremely willing!
It is clear to see that this B&B is run by a very hardworking, dedicated and commited team and I have a strong sense that it is family run. The owner appears to work alongside all his staff which I think is great, and rarely seen nowadays! Having stayed in many branded hotels across the world I can firmly say that this B&B is in some areas, such as customer service,is a step above.
I throughly encourage anyone to visit this establishment for all of the above reasons, but also to see Cartmell, which is truly one of the cutest villages I've ever been to!

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Bowness-on-Windermere, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I visited the Cavendish Arms on a wet Staurday lunchtime. The pub was practically empty, but the fire was lit which improved the atmosphere. My husband being a creature of habit enquired whether they served fish and chips at lunch - No, but they did have a child's portion of scampi and chips. Not enough for a growing man so he opted for venison burger and chips. I had the soup which I was told was leek and potato. Our food arrived about 20 mins later and we both felt a liitle cheated. My soup was in a bowl that must have held soup of a depth of no more than 1.5 inches and the smallest slice of bread and this came with no butter. On trying the soup all I could taste was ground pepper - No hint of potato or leek at all. In hindsight I should have sent the soup back, but I was hungry and cold. My husband's burger and chips was an embarrassment for the price - I think it was about £9. The bread roll was very cheap and industrial, the chips were the smallest handful and the salad was bits of wilting lettuce and carrot. Usually I'm known for my "chip raids" but on this occasion I couldn't for shame due to the lack of chips.
We quickly ate up and paid the bill - the lady behind the bar didn't enquire about our meal so we couldn't be bothered making a fuss. I so wish we had now.
We both still felt peckish so went to the village shop and shared a rather tasty date slice for a fraction of the money.
We will not be returning in the near future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
mrcav, Owner at Cavendish Arms, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
I am very sorry you feel we did not meet your expectations on this occasion, I have spoken to the local bakery regarding your disappointment with the bread and they are as upset as I regarding the matter, however they were pleased that you enjoyed the date slice from the shop in Cartmel which they also baked, I can assure you all the bread is delivered fresh every day, and we do not use 'industrial ' or pre packed breads of any description.
With regards to the bar been almost empty, it may have been worth mentioning to other trippers how terrible the weather was over the weekend,with much localised flooding and high winds, this I feel would give other potential customers an insight as to why ALL businesses in Cartmel were so quiet .
There are some factual issues that also puzzle regarding the posting . the price of the Venison burger is £7.95 NOT £9.00 as stated ,also, with the bowl of soup, you are correct ,there is exactly 1.5 inches of soup in the bowl, what you failed to mention was the soup bowl is an 8 inch dish which gives it a 10oz serving.
y greatest concern is you felt you could not tell the female member of staff that you had such a poor experience, I have spoken to all the members of staff who were on duty on Saturday, and neither Darran or Samuel (both male) and the rota proves this, can bring the issue to mind.

Once again my apologies .
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I don't normally write reviews, but both because of having enjoyed our visit so much coupled with my total amazement at some of the criticism levied by other 'reviewers', I feel compelled to do so. My wife and I have just spent 3 nights at the Cavendish, during one of their busiest periods, the Cartmel racecourse summer meeting. We left totally refreshed, eagerly planning a return visit with family. Perhaps some of the critics should be redirected to a Travelodge or the like, as yes, the Cavendish 'don't do standard'! Instead you get character. A lovely old hotel, with great staff, great service, good food, especially breakfast, with rooms that are clean, providing real charm. My business takes me to various levels of accomodation throughout the UK and beyond, but it is very rare to actually want to return to any of them. If I could offer one piece of advice to Richard the proprietor, it would be to continue to do what you do so very well.... running your great hotel, not wasting time being frustrated by those that for whatever reason (scurrilous possibly??) seem to want to undermine your establishment.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Called for a beer on a lovely sunny day. Decided to stay the night and what a surprise! The dinner was excellent and the breakfast menu was imaginative and beautifully presented. This was in a small country pub. Of course there was cask ale served from traditional hand pumps. The whole experience was a joy.
The bedrooms are pokey and lack the usual modern refinements as could be expected in a building of this age but the beds were comfortable and everything was spotlessly clean.

Room Tip: The landlord gave us the keys to inspect the rooms so we could make a choice. Worth asking.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Just returned from a great stay at the Cavendish. Food & hospitality fantastic. I enjoyed staying in a 450 year old building with all it's character & charm. We were made very welcome by Richard & his team & we will be back soon.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Myself and my husband stayed here for two nights in March as a relaxing get away. The owner and staff were very friendly and welcoming, and there was a nice atmosphere around the pub. The food was excellent. The room was comfortable and cosy but was quite small (we had asked for larger one so not sure if we were allocated the correct one or if others are smaller)and possibly a little overpriced given the basic nature and size however we loved our stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

We ate at the Cavendish when we visited Cartmel for the races last year. Whilst there we were lucky enough to secure a booking to stay there this year. I say lucky because this place is a gem.
We stayed for 2 nights and were placed in a room that has received a poor review earlier on trip advisor. I have to say that I found the room big enough for our needs. It had character, was cosy and was exactly what we expected from a building 450 years old and steeped in character. If you want space, basic mod cons, straight walls, level floors and rooms with no character then stay in a modern budget hotel.
Our experience of the Cavendish mirrors all the positive reviews on this site and thankfully none of the negatives. The staff are extremely friendly and it was visible to us that they would do anything to help. The food was lovely. The breakfast menu was varied. I had something different each morning and was not disappointed. The evening meal was absolutely lovely from start to finish. We had the lot, starters right through to cheese platter and port. The steak and ale pie is delicious.
The bar area is lovely and we were made to feel extremely welcome by the locals.
Thank you to Richard and his team for making our stay an enjoyable one.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Cavendish Arms? Share your experiences!