“Fantastic B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Broughton House

and 1 more site!
You added Broughton House to your Saves list
Broughton House
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Field Broughton | Cartmel, Cartmel, Grange-over-Sands LA11 6HN, England   |
Ranked #1 of 14 Cartmel B&B and Inns
Madeley, United Kingdom
“Fantastic B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I had a fantastic time staying at Broughton House B&B in lovely Cartmel. Everything was perfect, from the warm welcome complete with tea and homemade cakes to the spacious and homely room.
The real treasure of this B&B is the owner, Cate, who makes you feel comfortable from the onset. She is very knowledgeable about the surrounding bucolic delights and really helped make our weekend special.
The breakfast, taken in a sunny conservatory, was a treat. The table was replete with home-made jams and breads, and we had a choice of a locally sourced full English breakfast or something more continental. My husband remarked that it was the best full English he’d every eaten!
Overall, I would highly recommend a stay at Broughton House B&B. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!

CATE D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hello Laurie - and thank you very much indeed for review. It was lovely to meet you both, and I'm glad that you enjoyed your weekend at Broughton House - you certainly had the weather for it, and could make the most of this beautiful area. I'm looking forward to receiving my Laurie-art "Feathers" and I hope you can come back and see it on the wall one of these days. With best wishes to both of you - Cate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We want to go back! Seeing the Lake District in the sunshine and then finding Broughton House amongt the fields was a great experience. Cate welcomed us, showed us to the "shed" and yurt, privately situated behind tall hedges. The shed was more of a luxury cabin with kitchen and en-suite shower room and the yurt our "living" room for the night though we didn't need it - we could sit outside. Someone had let slip that one of us had a birthday, so there was a cake to greet us along with the brownies and shortbread. Unfortunately, we were going out to dinner so had to postpone our enjoyment of these delicacies. Breakfast, served in the conservatory, was just great, freshly squeezed fruit juice, excellent coffee and delicious scrabled eggs and smoked salmon, all rounded off with homemade sourdough bread/toast and homemade marmalade.

CATE D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Hello Jill and Rupert - and thank you for the lovely review, which means a lot - since you two are "old hands" at B and B, whereas I am a mere debutante. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Broughton House. I loved meeting you, and I'm delighted that your first visit to this beautiful area was judged to be a success. I hope I'll be able to welcome you back for a second visit, one day, but - in the meantime - thank you again. With best wishes - Cate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed with Cate for one night and really wish we could have been there longer. We were greeted warmly by her and "Muffin", the gorgeous and slightly deaf dog of the house and offered tea immediately. Our room was clean, well stocked and had a gorgeous view. We even has fresh brownies and shortbread! The grounds are stunning to walk around and the main part of Cartmel is a mere ten minutes away. Highlight of our stay was probably breakfast where you can have home baked sourdough, eggs right from the garden and sit in the beautiful conservatory. Cate is a perfect host and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013
CATE D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Hello Girls - and thank you for taking the time to write a review for Broughton House. I did enjoy meeting you both - and I'm so glad you enjoyed your Lake District visit - I hope Blackpool, on the way home, was fun too?!?! Keep working on the northern accent, and I look forward to when I can say "Hannah stayed with me, you know" as you collect your Oscar!! With best wishes - Cate (& Muffin!)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

If ever there was a B&B to put you at your ease, this is it. From the outset, we felt like we were staying with a friend such was Cate's warm welcome and help though our stay. We discovered a shared intest in sailing as well. We stayed in the East double bedroom which has a very clever use of space - the shower room is en-suite but on a mezzanine floor above the bedroom itself. We stayed out late that evening, as we were dining at L'Enclume, so breakfast the next morning was as late as we would like. The breakfast was excellent, with a wide choice of courses and home-made bread, marmalade and jams. If visiting the Lakes, it's definitely worth a detour out of your way to stay at Broughton House. It would be hard to beat this, I am not surprised at the almost unanimous 5-star reviews.

Room Tip: East has a mezzanine en-suite bathroom above the bedroom; it overlooks fields. South has a separat...
CATE D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hello you two, and thank you for such a complimentary review. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Broughton House, and you certainly made the most of your trip to Cartmel. It was lovely to chat about sailing in Scotland - you can't beat the west coast, especially in weather like this. I hope I might welcome you back one day - with best wishes and thanks - Cate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed in Ben's Yurt and cabin for two nights and found it was such lovely place to stay. The cabin is wonderful and has everything you need for a weekend or a week stay. It has lovely, personal finishing touches and it really does feel like home. We particularly liked the homemade brownies and shortbread waiting for us in the cabin on arrival. They didn't last long!

The Yurt is great for relaxing, sitting out and enjoying the peace and quiet. Again, Cate has furnished this is a very high standard with lots of candles, sheepskin covered sofas and a sound system so you can plug in your Ipod/phone and relax with your own music.

As there is lots of outdoor furniture and a BBQ, we could sit out in the sunshine with a bottle of wine and take in the gorgeous scenery.

We both agree that Cate's breakfasts are the best we have ever had made with the freshest produce and again, Cate's personal touch.

We have come home very relaxed and cannot wait to visit again!

CATE D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Hello you two - and thank you for taking the time to review the Yurt, and the Cabin. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay here, and wasn't it a perfect weekend for a spot of "glamping" in the garden? Thank you too for the kind words about the breakfast - I think there's nothing nicer than a newly laid egg, from "the girls". Hope Sunday was fun, and that you got home safely - do come again - with best wishes - Cate
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

A wonderful welcome from Cate and Muffin the dog at Broughton house to celebrate a family birthday. Homemade cake and tea by a roaring fire, excellent 'best ever' breakfast with freshly squeezed juice, freshly laid hen's eggs, homemade bread and local produce. Bedrooms superb with crisp white bed linen and lovely touches including homemade brownies and a bowl of fresh fruit. The boys loved the yurt and cabin and playing ball with muffin!
A real home from home in a peaceful location.

• Stayed June 2013
CATE D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Hello - and thank you for the glowing review - I do appreciate you taking the time to write it. Muffin and I both enjoying welcoming you all to Broughton House (she is looking after her newly acquired tennis ball - thank you boys) and sitting by the fire with you was a real treat. I hope we'll see you again one day, and thank you again for the review - with best wishes to all - Cate
Catterick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I can't say enough about how wonderful our visit was. The scenery, location, ambiance and outstanding hospitality will be tough to beat anywhere. We were made to feel very welcome, and left a good few pounds heavier! I miss your scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on homemade sourdough - a lot!! And Dom still talks about the pancakes! We will return.

Room Tip: We stayed in Ben's Yurt which was delightful and very private - the scenery is stunning
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
CATE D, Owner at Broughton House, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Hello Michaela & Dom - thank you so much! I loved meeting you both, and hearing about your adventures on two wheels (so much less trouble than four! - how is the poorly Golf?!) I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay in Ben's Yurt, and thank you for the compliments about the breakfasts.
I hope you can return - next summer perhaps? - for more backgammon in the yurt! With best wishes to both of you - and good luck to Dom for the next few months - Cate

Been to Broughton House? Share your experiences!