“Great concept, not well executed” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We take great pride in serving you the freshest, highest quality food possible. Every day we start out from fresh making our soups, salad dressings and sauces from scratch. We don’t cut corners and we don’t settle when it comes to authentic ingredients, we don‘t buy frozen food, we only use the best like our British steaks, our Stilton Blue Cheese, our toasted hand-cut croutons or our homemade chocolate sauce. At salt and pepper - steakhouse it's all about quality and all about the food and you our guest.
Widnes, United Kingdom
“Great concept, not well executed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Having received a letter/coupon like many others I was looking forward to a proper steak from a proper steakhouse in Widnes.

The restaurant could do with a couple of aesthetic touch ups to properly create the steak house atmosphere and avoid the generic curry house look. Also felt the buffet like area where the chefs serve up the food for the waiting staff could be gotten rid of and the kitchen made a bit bigger. This would hide the essential activities that might turn people off their food (like butter portions being taken out of a plastic tub with fingers by waitresses). And the bar looked totally redundant. Also, if you have a big display cabinet for desserts it probably looks better with more than 1 solitary cake in. All minor stuff though.

The menu promises fantastic sounding dishes and it feels like S&P started off with the intention to cook homemade high quality food. Im not sure what has happened since opening but the problems hinted at in other reviews were evident when my main course arrived. I ordered a 10oz rump steak (rare) and that was brilliant, perfectly cooked and well seasoned. The chips however were not home made as promised (looked and tasted like frozen fries and were soggy) and the bread was not the cheesey garlic bread described in other posts but suspiciously similar to Tesco/Asda Tiger bread. I had no problems really but the table opposite had to send their raw chicken back.

The whole place feels poorly managed with waiting staff obviously struggling and poorly organised. I don't know why only 1 lady is allowed to take orders on the fancy tablet but all it does it make one person very busy with the rest hanging about with nothing to do. The stress was a bit evident when my main course came, the lady realised I hadn't had my starter cleared away, apologised and let slip "thats a bit [--] really". For desert I had the chocolate cake, and although you get large serving, it was quite dry.

This place has great potential. Their steaks are great and high quality, but there are a few issues though (which smack of cost cutting exercises) that if sorted out would pick this place up a lot and go back to what I suspect it started off wanting to be. Try it out- the steak is more or less worth it!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
“"Does what it says on the tin"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Firstly can I just say..I;m not one to jump on the band wagon to start slaggin a place off if it means I can walk out with a minor gripe to avoid payment !! ...... I received a flyer through my door inviting me down to the restaurant. So having a night off from the hospitality trade, I thought I;d give it a go with my partner...On arrival.. We were greeted by a very attentive young lady who shown us to our table...She then returned to take our drinks order and gave us menu's and also pointed out what they were out of..(superb customer service)..as myself being in the industry, there is nothing worse than browsing through a menu and making your decision, only to be told.."Oh we're out of that "....She then returned with our drinks and proceeded to take our order.....Within 5 minutes, we were given a cheesy garlic bread to share (10" pizza size) which I pointed out we hadn't ordered...The lady ...Bernie..had said it was complimentary..as was our first round of drinks !!...We had actually walked in with the flyer we were posted through our door...Within 15 minutes we were given our steaks.......O M G .......what a delight !! Tender succulent and cooked to perfection......I can honestly say..I have eaten in many steakhouses and this one is a gem in the finding !!...But then.....after our delicious meal..we were offerd a complimentary dessert...Unfortunately I did'nt have any room and couldnt possibly eat it, neither could my patner...So.....all in all...We had a starter..a steak meal each with a sauce and several drinks each...The total bill was less than £40.... Will I return..YOU BET YOUR LIFE I WILL..!!.. The service..the food..the ambience and the overhaul experience was fantastic...Bernie and your team are fan bloody..tastic..

To the owners of Salt & Pepper steakhouse....Please let your staff know they are doing a fantastic job..As I know first hand that owners of companies are all to keen to kick them when you get a bad review but are all to recilient to let them know when they are doing good....

See ya soon.....brilliant result .x

l

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Steak House With NO Steak.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Went for friends Hen Night, and the venue knew 4 weeks in advance of our intension to come here..... So we arrived and placed our drink orders..... No diet coke, no sparkling water, no prossecco! All popular drinks and they ran out?! A staff member did go the local shop and buy some, so that's bonus. I ordered Ameretto n Coke and you couldn't taste it.... Watered down maybe? Came to the food... Ran out of Sirloin, lobster, curly fries, rump, ribeye, onion rings, olives. But there was 14 of us, and I could hear everyone complaining that they didn't have what they wanted. Food took forever to come too..... Just bad ad service, so who's to blame?

Don't get me wrong, the food was amazing, but with no management on site, no worthwhile apologies except from the waitresses who looked terrified and shook up with what was going on..... Felt sorry for them!!

Took them forever to agree to 20% off the bill, but that was a mission to get.

Needless to say it was our 1st and last time going there.. I'll give it a month before its out of business..... Want a good steak with amazing service?? Go Circo on the Albert Dock Liverpool!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Widnes, England, United Kingdom
“Still as good if not better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Haven't been for a while and went on the off chance after receiving a voucher. Steaks were fantastic. The new chef had cooked them and everything was perfect couldn't fault them. My hubby's tip try the garnish he's not big on tomatoes but he loved the confit tomatoes.
Service has improved and we won't wait so long between our next visit

“Great place great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Myself an my girlfriend visited here last week after recievin a flyer through the door so we thought we'd give it a try and it was a great experience. the food was lovely best steak id ever had an was cooked how we asked and the staff couldnt do enough. My only concern was there was only 2 waitresses! an there was a few tables in when we arrived so more staff needed other than that great place great food great staff!

• 4 of 5 stars Food