“Really really bad! Steer clear!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We take great pride in serving you the freshest, highest quality food possible. Every day we start out from fresh making our soups, salad dressings and sauces from scratch. We don’t cut corners and we don’t settle when it comes to authentic ingredients, we don‘t buy frozen food, we only use the best like our British steaks, our Stilton Blue Cheese, our toasted hand-cut croutons or our homemade chocolate sauce. At salt and pepper - steakhouse it's all about quality and all about the food and you our guest.
Widnes, United Kingdom
“Really really bad! Steer clear!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I visited this establishment today with my family in the early evening. First customers in there apart from a large party group from liverpool! Feral children running around unchecked with drunk parents shouting at each other with ear splitting annoyance! That aside the staff were friendly however the place is dirty and a bit disappointing from kick off. Dirty carpets and an A4 photo copy of a menu? Complimentary bread and olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Excellent I thought till my taste buds told me it wasn't olive oil but standard veg oil! Bread was stale too. Starters seemed ok. I ordered a £15 rib eye steak and chips. Difficult to mess up you say? The chips were ancient and very brown and soggy with the distinct and acrid taste of ten week old fat! You only get this amount of re runs on UK gold. The steak wasn't a rib eye at all more like a bit of discarded fat only fit at a stretch for stewing! The majority of it was fat over 70% which bearing in mind the cost was offensive. My partner didn't have much luck either a plain piece of chicken devoid of any flavour or seasoning. They forgot to point out S&P was extra? My children had pasta with a tomato sauce. This consisted of a tin of chopped tom's complete with the tins water splashed with a wiff of garlic. Limp and a plate that would bore a chair leg to death! On pointing out the issues the owner manager was disinterested and refused to see our point of view with replies like, we'll we've never had complaints before and don't worry I'll look after you next time????? He did however appear taken aback when I said I won't be back And i would struggle to recommend you to anyone! Expensive, overpriced and completely disappointing. My 2 children ate for free however the meal for 4 with no alcohol was £50! Do yourself a favour go somewhere else. This place should not be on here and most definitely does not deserve its no7 spot! I would guess that the majority of customers head in there after a skin full and dont really care at that point! Steer clear get a kebab!

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Excellent food, but messed up most of our orders”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

There was 8 of us booked for a small birthday meal. They where good at letting us decorate the table and they even added decorations themselves. There was only us and a table of 2 on a Saturday night. The food orders all came out the wrong way round. The steaks ordered all came out cooked wrong, medium when asked for rare etc, they forgot the sides and brought out the wrong ones. As there was only us in the restaurant I'd expect them to get all our orders right. The steaks when they did arrive where lovely. The starters where all lovely too. All hot and decent portions. It's nice to go as maybe a couple, but not sure about a big table.

• Visited March 2013
Widnes, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

First visit to this restaurant on 28th April (party of 6) but certainly not the last. The food was excellent, the best steak I have had in a long while. The staff could not have done enough for us. It was excellent value for money. We hope the people of Widnes support this restaurant. Will be visiting again soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Disgraceful”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

The worst experience of my life. Cold food. Took them an hour from starters to serve mains. The steaks were cold and then we waited 15 mins for the side orders to come and they forgot the sauces. When we complained we were treated in a disgraceful manner. No apology just abuse we were a party of 9 adults and four children it was our grandsons birthday. Our grandchildren were in tears when we left . Never again. The only thing they did was offer a free drink because of the wait!!!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Warrington
“Great steakhouse and pasta good too!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I searched for a steakhouse in Warrington ( where we live) but none came up. However on a different website the Salt and Pepper Steakhouse in Widnes appeared. The reviews were good although was only a few. Just had to try it, as my partner loves steak and the pasta dishes sold it to me. Not very busy for a Friday night, but got a table at the window which was good. Got off to a bad start, as they didnt have the wine I asked for and they only had one lager on. They brought us bread and dripping oil which was a nice way to start. Things just got better after that, garlic bread was lovely, steak and pepper sauce with homemade chips were fantastic and my tagliatelle was great, although I couldn't eat it all (quite rich, but stuffed myself with bread first!) Very friendly and chatty staff, who couldn't do enough for you - and very reasonable too. I really hope this place takes off and we will certainly be regulars and recommend it to others.