“One night weekend stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Widnes
Wales uk
“One night weekend stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My husband and I booked in overnight as we had a family party. I booked last minute online and had a price of £55 for a superior room. The room was spacious and had a balcony attached to the window. We were unable to sit on it but could open for air. I did find the hotel were a little lacking in sufficent milk for teas and coffees. As we were going out I did not ask for more but staff were so polite and helpful; I am sure they would have recified if I had asked. The bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows. Normally, I have found there are 2 one each side on bed and one or two in wardrobe; here there were 2 each side of bed and two in the wardrobe, little things matter when you are away from home. The room was spotlessly clean and the hotel quiet, we had a good nights sleep. Well done, Hillcrest Hotel.

Room Tip: Book a superior room with a balcony, they are a little more but not much.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

The only reason I give this 4 & not 5 is mainly because the hotel didn't know what to charge. We had been invited to a friends wedding reception at the hotel & I have to admit I was really late booking the hotel so I first checked that there were rooms available by checking online & the online price was £50 for one night with breakfast included. My friend had said that they'd been offered a special rate for friends staying overnight for the reception so I decided to call the hotel direct, I was quoted £60; I questioned if that was the wedding rate & that it was only £50 online. The receptionist did say she would offer me the £50 rate, the hotel group Corus had put on an online special rate & offering a free breakfast.
On arrival at the hotel when we were asked to pay she asked for £54.95, again I explained my telephone conversation the week earlier & said we were given the online rate of £50. The receptionist had no record of this but did only charge us £50.
So away from the confusion of the cost, the hotel was lovely.

Room: Double overlooking the football field at the side of the hotel, so no noise from the road. The bed was very comfortable, the room had a kettle, hairdryer & was supplied with a selection of tea & coffee. The bathroom was ok & supplied with little bottles of shower gel, shampoo & a small soap.

Evening reception catered by the hotel: Wonderful buffet, plenty of choice, sandwiches, chicken, noodles, pasta, salmon, pizza (not the greatest), homemade sausage rolls, ribs. Dessert was a selection of small cakes & cheese selection with grapes.

Breakfast: Good selection of cereal, fruit yogurt & small pastries. Then you could help yourself to a cooked breakfast bacon, sausage, egg, fresh tomatoes grilled, mushrooms, beans, fried bread, I'm sure I've missed something but I did only have bacon, sausage (excellent) beans, mushrooms, tomato & egg. Staff service was very courteous & professional. Served us with tea & toast, showing us where everything was.
Overall this was great for an overnight stay & would recommend a stay here if you needed to stay overnight in Widnes.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
St Helens, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

The room was ok - slightly overpriced. Weird noise coming from bathroom. Staff were not particularly helpful or friendly - gave my name in and paid - was handed a key and then the receptionist walked away without telling me where my room was - didn't give me a great 1st impression... Room was comfortable enough - and clean. Food not great.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Stayed 1 night. Room clean & comfortable but bathroom badly needs upgrading, jacuzzi didn't work, told by staff 'none do'! Windows very dirty so glad there was no view to be spoilt. Breakfast good but limited refreshments in room, no biscuits, no fridge. Room was opposite function suite, very noisy until 1pm!

Room Tip: Booked a suite, definitely not good value for money, some sort of motor/engine near room (?heating...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Last night I had arranged (at short notice) a surprise 40th Birthday for my wife (30 guests). I first met up with the general manager (Richard) on Wednesday 11th January. Immediately, I was impressed with his "can do attitude", his professionalism, his knowledge and politeness. His staff, from reception to bar staff where also courteous, helpful and extremely pleasant - and this was just whilst I was awaiting an appointment with Richard.

Richard helped me plan a menu and the itinery for the evening, even down to special dietary requirements for one of the guests.

Then came the evening itself. What can I say ?!!! Richard, his team of staff where nothing short of exceptional. The food the chef provided was first class - full of flavours and very inventive. (one small complaint - I never got to thank the chef personally - he deserved a BIG well done). The staff were attentive without being overley fussy, provided a first class service and every single guest commented on how lovely the evening was, how wonderful the staff were and how great the food was.

Myself, my wife and children will certainly be going back to sample more of the same.

Huge congratulations and well done - thank you very much for a fantastic evening.

Many Thanks

Paul & Cath

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Durham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Booked a family room to attend a friend's party and though most of the hotel had been refurbished the room we were given was not. 1980's decor with shabby carpet, Walls etc but would pass for one night. However when we returned to the hotel in the evening it seems our room was right above the dj from a wedding event. Despite going to reception to complain we were informed that the music would be on till 1am - so we just had to put up with it!! Try telling your small children this when they are crying and wanting to go to sleep! Who would place family rooms right above the main disco room? The next day we tried to speak to a manager but no-one was available. The customer service we received was appalling and unless you are attending an event at the hotel and don't mind noise from drunken guests till 3am I would avoid this hotel at all costs! We stay in hotels regularly and this was honestly the worst we have encountered!! I am still awaiting a response from the hotel manager yet we stayed over 2 months ago!

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

had a brillaint night last night at the hollywood christmas night. food was great as was the service, the disco and the beds. we all had a great time and wanted to say thanks especially to sam for looking after us so well x

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes? Share your experiences!