“Passable for a night i suppose.” 3 of 5 stars

You added The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes to your Saves list
The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cronton Lane, Widnes WA8 9AR, England   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Widnes
“Passable for a night i suppose.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011 via mobile

We had attended a function at this hotel and stayed overnight. Generally the hotel was tired and service not the best - a shame as the website told a different story!

• Stayed October 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Hull,UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We booked a deal at this hotel on the internet for a two night stay which included breakfast on both days. The price quoted and invoiced as a "Summer Special" was £119 and included dinner on the first night. We had a good meal on the first night and we were satisfied with the service, although there was only one member of staff to man both the bar and restraunt.
I decided to check the bill before we retired on the second night, and was glad that I had as they had invoiced me for a normal stay which did not include meals.
Feeling satisfied that I had sorted out the billing problem, the following morning I checked out without checking the invoice thoroughly. When I arrived home, I found that I had now been charged for breakfast!
It would appear that the staff are unaware of the internet deals on offer, and are at liberty to overcharge their customers if they can get away with it.

Apart from the billing fiasco, the hotel rooms were tired and in need of refurbishment although the public rooms were OK

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Torquay, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

My parents stayed here for a family gathering. The room was grubby and tired looking and the carpet neede a good clean. The heavy fabrics were also in need of a good clean, although the sheets were clean.
The public areas were much better, particularly the breakfast room, and the staff were courteous and helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Warrington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I stayed here the night before a Wedding shoot, due to my builders leaving me with no bathroom.

On arrival the front steps were a bit annoying, with luggage and camera and IT equipment as was the revolving front door. However the friendly receptionist, soon helped me forget my woes.

I was on the first floor, again my smooth journey to the room was hampered by a lack of elevator.

The room no key card, but a traditional key, not a problem just remember to hand it in when I leave as I usually just go.

Nicely decorated and clean, the bed was a good size with good quality bedding and pillows and comfy!

The furniture to be fair was getting on a bit and was dated and out of keeping with the decor as was the bathroom, which appeared to be circa 1980, again clean. But a shower curtain (grimaces) come on hotels who wants to use a shower curtain that someone elses naked body has touched????? Get screens fitted!!!!!

I had some work to do and was pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel had free wi-fi! Other hotels take note free wi-fi should be the norm, not having to pay £6 per hour!
The lovely receptionist helped me as I had some printing to do and she even stapled the documents for me, thank you very much!

I found the bar and bar meal prices (I didn't eat) very reasonable for a hotel and enjoyed a couple of pints, before retiring.

Now I don't know where the idea came from Corus, but a 14" lcd TV 12 feet away from the bed doesn't make for comfortable viewing and I found I got a head ache from straining my eyes, I've never seen such a small TV in a hotel before and find it a bit daft to be honest..

Sleep, well there was a bit of noise from other guests coming and going and their rooms so soundproofing needs improving, but once I dropped off I slept soundly awaking to the early morning call.

The Shower, well pathetic is the word it was either scalding hot or freezing cold with no happy medium, oh yes with a stream of hot water shooting out of the mixer tap.
Corus your bathrooms need investment!!!!!

Breakfast wasn't the usual self service affair, but cooked to order and was excellent!

All in all not bad at all, some investment needed especially in the bathrooms but not bad at all!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

We booked the Hillcrest online and were optomistic having paid extra for an executive room that we would have had a comfortable stay.
The tv was tiny, the chairs worn out, the bed lumpy, the decor throughout drab and tired looking, the breakfast took forever to arrive and all you could hear through the hatch was the kitchen staff coughing a spluttering while they prepared it.
The receptionist was pleasant and was the only thing worth a positive mention.
I commented on arrival that I had noticed a church met there and she immediately apologised....I mentioned it because I would have liked to attend!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

Receptionist was pleasant, plenty of free car parking onsite, I was next to a banging door for upstairs so early evening was a little noisy (Room 5), expecting a small pack in the bathroom but this was either missing or not part of the price, curtains (sound a little sad at this point) were in need of a good wash - my Mum would have a field day with the nets! The breakfast service was a little slow and I suspect a little more training would make a great difference (kitchen and front of house) in looking after customers better (qualified critic at this point). Hotel was ok for a one night stay before moving onto meet my client - well located with a gentle drive into East of Liverpool.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I didn't stay overnight but took my mother to the restaurant, along with 12 family friends, for her 90th birthday meal. The food was excellent and the service first class. The staff went out of their way to make my mother's outing really memorable. I can't recommend them highly enough. Thanks for making her day special. The whole family were really impressed. The meal and drinks were exceptional value for money. I would have expected to pay twice as much in some other hotel restaurants.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes? Share your experiences!