“lovely friendly pub” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 85 Restaurants in Widnes
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Primarlily a pub with an attached restaurant
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“lovely friendly pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

very good food in a nice clean and friendly pub quite hard to park if you have to drive but worth it if its not to busy

Manchester
“Pleasantly surprised”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Have always avoided this place due to the number of unsavoury looking characters hanging around outside in the smoking area but made it in for the first time recently after being disappointed by the neighbouring Unicorn and was pleasantly surprised.
Just decent pub grub, nothing to blow you away but the setting is pleasant as are the staff and at £12.95 for 3 courses there's not a lot to grumble about.
Will be returning many more times in the future.

Visited April 2012
“Shocking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Having visited this pub I found it to be outdated with awful staff and out of date food. Dither more I over heard staff arguing and stating they had not been paid. This is a poor performance by the owners they clearly get custom and how do they expect staff to work well for free. Additionally for me to hear this is bad practice any financial issues shud be discussed in private. All in all a terrible pub that shud be closed down.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Disasterous”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Having eaten at the Black Horse over many years we will never eat there again after a disasterous evening. A party of 7 adults and one child, pre-booked and arrived on time for a birthday celebration. After waiting over an hour the starters eventually arrived, with two starters not what was ordered. Main courses included the offer of a mixed grill, our order was accepted but eventually we were informed that these were no longer available and could we re-order. Despite a visit from the deputy/duty manager the standard of service continued in a downward trend. After a further wait of another half hour the main courses arrived- of which the majority were inedible. Undercooked chips, baguettes instead of paninis, chicken overcooked and chewy and sea bass cold and frozen in the middle. After further complaints a "person" appeared who was quite abusive regarding the fish insisting it was cooked however the coldness and discolouration of this fish suggested otherwise. The tables were left uncleared, dirty glasses and plates left as the next course was served. We had ordered a 3 course meal but decided to forego the sweet after the disasters with the two previous courses- needless to say we were charged for the poor meals and starters (£87) although to be fair a small amount of money was discounted from what should have been the final bill. What a disappointment and despite previous meals/service being good value at this pub/restaurant whatever has gone wrong means that I cannot recommend anyone to eat here- we will not be returning.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cheshire, England
“Unbelievably poor service and disgusting attitude.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

We’ve been eating at the Black Horse for more than 5 years now and to be honest I’ve very rarely had a bad experience. When the experience has been less than adequate it's always been down to the waiting times for being served, not the quality of the food itself, nor the attitude of the staff there. Sadly our visit on 21st May 2012 was a strikeout on all counts.

I’m going to run through the key areas I feel that let the place down last night: The environment, quality of service, speed of service, food and attitude. And then make a recommendation. It won’t be good.

The restaurant itself seems slightly lacking at the moment. Tables weren’t laid out properly. Our table (for 8) had two wine glasses on it with napkins in, some cutlery and nothing else. Very messy. Candle holders had no candles, but more importantly the whole place looked like it needed a quick 30 minutes attention to bring it up to scratch.  Not a big thing to complain about but when the food lets you down, you notice *everything*. But I’m jumping the gun, I’ll come to the food in a moment.

Seating ourselves down at 6:30 we began to place our orders. The Server seemed like a nice enough chap but obviously wasn’t trained to ask the ladies for their orders first. Minor niggle? Yes. But still amateurish. We’d placed our orders (2 cold starters, 2 garlic breads and 3 chicken tempura, and a selection of mains) by 6:45 and our server had headed back to the kitchen only to find that the Black Horse Sizzler (a mixed grill) was unavailable for 3 members of our party. Now if this was Lobster Thermidor or Beef wellington I could understand. They’re complex dishes. But a Mixed Grill was unavailable? They clearly still had the capability to serve chicken and steak, so I can only assume a lack of sausages might be to blame? Either way it's still a poor show. Nipping to a local shop to pack out your shortfall before service begins isn’t difficult to do. Again an amateurish performance. We re-order and away we go.

By 7:30 there's still nothing on the table and so we find our server and make a small but important foray into the land of complaining. To be brutally honest, we were the only people in the place eating and I could knock out 2 garlic breads, 3 tempura chicken, a prawn cocktail and a pate myself in less than 15 minutes. Clearly the chef has other priorities…perhaps he’s making sausages?

The “team leader/duty manager/whatever” comes over and apologises and to be honest was as useful as a chocolate fireguard. But at least they know theyre up against the cosh at this point. If I was her, I’d know to get the food out there, make it great and buck my ideas up. Sadly not. The mains start to come out and everything looks okay. Chips are woefully underdone to the point of having the same complexion as an albino toad but we ignore that. For the moment. Then the Sea Bass comes out and that’s so cold and undercooked in the middle that the little chap is pretty much looking to return to the wide open sea and live to swim another day. In all seriousness, it's cold and has that gorgeous gelatinous lustre to it that sushi does. Not good when you’ve ordered it cooked. We complain and are amazed to find a chap coming out from the kitchen (dressed more for a casual day out than a chef, god knows what his role was) who began to argue with us that the fish was in fact, piping hot. Being able to slide my finger inside the poor Sea Bass and feeling the coldness didn’t seem to dissuade him. Did he take it back to the kitchen? No. It was dumped onto the table and left there. Our not so friendly chap left in something of a huff and clearly wasn’t pleased. Now, we all know things go wrong in a kitchen. What I don’t expect is for someone to *ARGUE* with me over something so blindingly obvious.

Not wanting to stick around for dessert we opt for an early bill. The Sea bass is removed from the bill but we still end up paying £80 for what was one of the worst meals I’ve ever had out. The average Lamb Henrys, Panini’s, Steaks etc didn’t make up for the slow and lazy service, lack of quality and disgusting attitude of multiple staff members who couldn’t care less about whether we enjoyed our meal.

We’ll not be heading back, neither will our relatives/friends etc.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere