“Panama Flatties” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 31 Restaurants in Tarporley
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
shropshire
“Panama Flatties”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The menu hasn’t changed here for twenty years, what was once a real attraction is now a real let down.

Not that the menu does that alone. The bar is a disgrace. High prices and cocktails that might as well be sold as alcohol free. We used to come here and get smashed on the cocktail menu, but today you would fast run out of money way before feeling the effects of spirits. We had four cocktails between the six of us, if there was one whole measure of spirit between the four glasses I’d be amazed. Total Rip Off. None of us ordered another. None of us are stupid.

My steak and ribs was tasteless. My partners “pink duck” was overcooked tough and grey. My friends juicy Tuna on champ, was overcooked, dry rubbish served on noodles. No champ, no explanation, no apology.

The mains were served without the starters having been cleared. The idiot waiting on half cleared the table and then failed to return.

On top of this three out of our party of six had violent diarrhoea afterwards.

This place used to be Porsches and Lambo's, now it's Fat Boy exhausts and wannabe WAGS.

Thanks for a truly hateful evening.

• 1 of 5 stars Food

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Good Fixed Price Menu. Pleasing Ambience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Having read a few reviews on here, I enjoyed today's celebratory lunch at Panama Hatty's a lot more than I thought I would.

The area where you enjoy your aperitifs and relax with the menu is chintzy and opulent. The background music is a bit too intrusive though.

Most of us ate off the £11.95 fixed price menu, available even on weekends until 5pm. I thought that it was excellent value. The jambalaya was tasty, and my wife loved her chicken burrito. The meat literally fell off the spare ribs, which some of us had as entrees. Unfortunately the beefsteak and frites got mixed reviews. Some thought the meat a bit tough. I thought that it was characteristic of that particular cut, and it was cooked perfectly, medium rare.

Desserts of ice cream, Panama Hatty's 'cheats' lemon meringue pie and chocolate fudge cake were all good, and double expresso coffees were generous.

Service was charming.

Some reviewers have mentioned the bar prices. We had a nice Luis Felipe Edwards chardonnay as an aperitif. It cost about £19 a bottle, which was a bit steep but not extortionate. With our meal, I paid £22 for a very average Rioja. I thought that WAS extortionate. Two 33cl bottles of Peroni Nastro Azzuro- just over a pint- will set you back £7.90. I have only seen prices like that once before: in the Tuilleries Gardens, Paris, last year, when a 50cl draught beer cost €8. But that was Paris, not Tarporley.

I can't comment on value generally, since my generous, newly fifty-something brother-in-law picked up the tab.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
newport salop uk
“Four pounds for a coke”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Attended late Sunday afternoon, thought the decor was pleasant,interesting menu and different with a large choice. Three of us ordered various meals and could say reasonable value for money.
Be very wary of drink prices coke is £4 per pint. I wouldn't t like to buy a round of proper drinks.
Did question this with what appeared to be the manager informed yes it is £2 per half.
Fortunately I am a position to pay this but be very wary of extras ect it will be an expensive experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Cheshire uk
“Great food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Great Menu selection, god food , atmosphere, although a bit pricey. Always an enjoyable evening, great in a group.

Visited December 2012
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“What happened?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

A group if us used to visit often, working our way around the old menu so did the whole Panama Hatty Experience to the max. Raved about the place and sent many new people their way. Haven't been for about 4 years and was excited to be going back with my family. Such a disappointment. The decor still there (nice and cosy). Food was lack lustre and ingredients looked cheap. Service, nice enough but not bothered. Not worth the 45 minute drive I used to make dribbling with anticipation and won't be back (dreams shattered). On a plus, it's a good place for first dates or similar as it's intimate and a drive out, plus the menu has broad tastes so you can't go wrong with food type. Miss you Panhats!

• 2 of 5 stars Food