Beautiful grounds with sweeping views of Cheshire greet you as you take the drive down to the hotel. The location is superb and grounds are well kept and varied. We visited for leisure and not golf. Spacious bar with balcony serves snacks, teas & coffee. Bar prices are high but in keeping with the table service provided. Can be slow when large golf parties are present but if you're not in a rush, you'll be looked after. Good quality wines available but, at up to £12 for a large glass, you'll want time to take-in the wide views while slowly consuming your drinks.
Room standard is high and very well maintained. Saturday night dinner in the restaurant was excellent (a la carte); however the service was slow - the restaurant was completely full (120 covers) and the function room was busy too. That said, we had a relaxing dinner and it was well worth the little extra wait between courses. Three courses with wine and coffee for two was £100.
We went for breakfast at peak time (room guide advises taking breakfast before 9:30) and it was very busy and consequently the table service was slow. Cooked breakfast was good and the salmon & scrambled egg very generous. Cafetiere coffee was a good medium blend.
Overall, a very enjoyable stay made good by pleasant staff. Make use of spa/pool facilities to get value for money from your stay. Take a walk into picturesque Tarporley village too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within the heart of the Cheshire Countryside yet within easy access from the main motorways and towns, The Macdonald Portal Hotel,Golf and Spa is the perfect base to explore Cheshire and its many attractions and places of interest. Whether you are visiting for a pampering experience in the luxurious Spa, a round of golf on one of the two challenging golf courses or indeed a gourmet break enjoying the finest foods in 2 AA Rosette Ranulf Restaurant, Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf & Spa has something to offer for the entire family. Portal is also the home of the first Lee Westwood Golf School in the UK and offers a combination of three golf courses and an onsite golf academy. The conference and banqueting facilities have hosted many a prestigious event and both the Castle and Waterstone Suites offer the most wonderful venue for the perfect wedding celebration. A venue for all occasions, the hotel offers 85 sumptuous bedrooms, a state of the art Health, Fitness and Beauty Spa which includes an 18 meter swimming pool, advanced Technogym equipment and a thermal suite with rock sauna, aroma steam bath, ice room and salt infusion sauna. Why not dine in our fine restaurant with its 2 AA rosettes and views across the Cheshire plains. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf Hotel Tarporley
- Macdonald Portal Tarporley
- Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf And Spa Tarporley, Cheshire, UK