“Faulty Towers” 2 of 5 stars

Peckforton Castle
4.0 of 5 Castle   |   Stone House Lane, Tarporley CW6 9TN, England   |
“Faulty Towers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

We drove past and were intrigued enough to take a closer look, as it really does look like an incredible place.
We decided have a coffee in the brasserie so we could find out more information on staying and perhaps having a meal there, however we were very dissapointed with our experience.
Firslty we were ignored, so we thought we had the wrong place, they then eventually told us to sit down and they would take our orders. The waitress came and took our drinks order, we thought they would come back and ask us for the food after, however and it took 20 minutes for them to serve us the coffee even though there was no one else there and 4 staff, the waiting staff just stood and chatted around us while we were waiting. They never bothered to come and ask us if we wanted to order any food. they were clearly young and inexperienced. During the time we did wait, staff walked in and out of a room behind us with something very noisy in it, perhaps a fridge or something, which they seemed to have no awareness of and didnt even bother to shut the door. It was actually so rediculous it made us laugh. The staff were also cleaning around us, it just felt so unproffesional, and to be honest felt like fautly towers. We were considering going there for a proper dinner, but we definately will not be going back. They could halve the amount of inexperienced waiters and employ people who actually gave a toss.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Llandudno, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

We did not stay in this hotel but stopped for a late lunch. The building is lovely and is situated in extensive grounds, though there isn't much atmosphere.
I ordered mussels as a main course and received far too few in a luke warm sauce. The service was friendly but very slow.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We welcome all feedback as it helps us improve. We have taken your remarks on board and hope to implement the changes necessary.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

We stayed at Peckforton Castle December 2010 for my partners 40th surprise birthday. I have nothing negative at all to say about the castle. The staff were amazing, From day one when trying to organise the event up until we left everyone I have come into contact with has been so helpful. I can not praise the staff enough. The castle itself is just magical, wonderful grounds, wonderful setting. Each and every room was different, full of character. We stayed in a suite which was out of this world. I can not wait to visit the place again and will be doing so very soon. The resturant was beautiful and again the staff could not do enough to help. An amazing experience from start to finish. We have stayed in a lot of hotels and this truly was head and shoulders above the rest.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

I had to organize the businesses Christmas Party 2010. I thought of all the "normal" venues but wanted this one to stand out so when I heard fantastic things about the castle I approached them to see if such a huge venue could take place, and that it did. Peckforton castle catered for 260 of my colleagues. From start to finish the event could not have gone any better. We had the castle to ourselves with most of my colleagues staying over at the Castle. I stayed in a suite which was absolutely gorgeous with everything to iPod docking station to heated floor tiles in the huge bathroom. I will be staying there again personally!
Taking place that night we had a disco & casino which went down a storm. I would like to thank all the staff that worked that day and evening as they were impeccable and could not do enough to help people, from directions around the amazing building, to the simple service with a smile all evening. I would recommend strongly to anyone who is thinking of such an event that Peckforton would be one worth booking.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

My husband booked a weekend here as a birthday treat, and what a treat it was to!
The building is amazing, full of character and enchanting in every way.
We had a standard room (as this was all that was available) it was well equiped, clean and spacious,with two double windows overlooking the court yard, which was fabulous as we could watch the Falconery training and the beautiful peacocks that strolled the grounds displaying themselves at every opportunity.
Most of The staff were Very attentive and nothing was to much trouble for them, in fact I would go as far to say, they went the Extra Mile for us every time, special thanks for the balloon with my champagne ice bucket, nice touch, there was only a few members of the bar / breakfast team who failed to even smile yet alone offer customer service, but one was leaving on the Friday, I don't think she will be a loss to what otherwise is a well run team.
The food was very tasty and well presented, but lacked choice, on the package we were on there were 4 items on the menu 1 of which was vegetarian, and the menu was the same both nights!! This I would say let the restaurant down, the manager was very receptive and accomodating, remembering what wine I had ordered the previous night, and that I liked lemon in my water.
Then came the SPA well done Vanessa & Milly!!! these girls are just Fabulous!!!! My husband and I stay at many 5star hotel / spa's and can honestly say they gave the BEST
Facial we have ever had, again the added extra of a hand & head massage whilst your face mask sets is wonderful.
We can say this break was well worth the money and we will return again.

, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Thank you for your kind words. We are so glad you enjoyed your time at the Castle and we look forward to seeing you again soon to exceed your expectations even more.
preston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed stayed at the castle on 2nd of Jan for 2 nights. Suprisingly the place was busy with lots of couples and some families.
The check in on arrival was great with complimentry drinks brought to the room. We booked through red letter days vouchers.
We were unable to book the restaurant as it was full on the sunday evening, so we ate in the Brasserie.
Unfortunately the bar lady was surly and rude and did not give a good impression of the castle. The food which was available to order (small manue and smaller choice as they did not have any steaks) arrived hot but not very inspiring. I ordered a pasta dish which was tastless and bizarelly was served with cold cherry tomatoe's and baby onions!!!

I redered wine which was nice and husband drank the chech lager on draft which he also enjoyed.

Breakfast was fantastic buffet style. The breakfast dining room was so hot it made you feel sick. One of the breakfast staff on the second morning was really lovely, friendly and helpful. She was the only memeber of staff we encountered who was like this so i though i would give her a mention.
The menue offered continenatal breakfast with hasm and cheese but these were no where to be seen!!

I asked for room service breakfast but was told that i could only have a cold breafast delivede as the food would not remain hot. (have they never heard of food covers)

All in all I would stay again for a special trip we paid £190 for 2 nights b&b, I would also recommended this hotel.

I feel that they have all of the basics to be great but the staff let the hotel down.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

I booked a night away with my partner on the 27th December as a special treat and we were not disappointed!!We stayed in the newly refurbished part of the castle in an 'Executive bedroom',the room was perfect with plenty of room and fantastic views over Cheshire,it far exceeded our expectations.We chose to dine in the 1851 restaurant which had been recommended by the receptionist on checkinng inn,this was more costly than the new Brasserie but well worth it and after all its not every evening you get to dine in a castle!The standard of food was nothing short of fantastic and the level of service was excellant,our compliments to one and all,especially the chef.We look forward to visiting Peckforton Castle in the future and will highly recommend to all our family and friends.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, March 9, 2011

Been to Peckforton Castle? Share your experiences!