“worth a stay at the offer prices but not at full cost” 4 of 5 stars

You added Peckforton Castle to your Saves list
Peckforton Castle
4.0 of 5 Castle   |   Stone House Lane, Tarporley CW6 9TN, England   |
uk
“worth a stay at the offer prices but not at full cost”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

before I start the review just a small tip if like me your travelling from the north west and using a sat nav when you get to the last junction and the sat nav says you have reached your destination you have to make the descision of turning left or right well turn right after about 500 yards the castle is on your left unlike me who turned left and drove another 10 minutes ok now to the review and I aim to be as honest as I can I must tell you that I got the booking by phoning the hotel direct and asking if they did the same price as the net offers the lady said have you seen the room for £65 a night I told her it was £59 a night and she agreed we could have it at that although the net gave the impression that it should be £250 a night when in fact it was to have been £150 so i thought at £177 for 3 nights b&b for me and my wife the deal sounded great also knowing it was the hotel that has been used for filming Dr who also Kevin Costner filmed part of Robin Hood there and it was ware manchester utd Wes Brown was married we thought it would be fantastic as we drove through the gates and drove the other 3 quaters of a mile up the grounds the sight was super there were peacocks and peahens on the grounds and a great collection of birds of prey in the gardens it was brilliant the setting is magnifficent unfortunatly there is still a lot of fine tuning needed for the staff now dont get me wrong every member of staff and I include cleaners and maintanance staff when I say there manners and politness was impressive but its the things they did not say that was the problem my wife for instance is not in to good health and we would have thought in making the booking that the reception staff would have brought to our attention that there is no lift we ended up in room 401 that is around 75 steps from ground to room so if your not 100% fighting fit please bare that in mind you will need to ask for a ground floor room also although I got the room for £59 a night I have to judge this as though I am paying full £150 there was no offer of a morning call ( although reading in the room it does say you can have one but a nice touch would have been told this on booking in) no offers of newspaper to room and the only ones we saw in the morning was the independent although there were tea and coffee making in room there was no choice of milk or cream it was just milk now all the 3 things mentioned choice of cream early call and paper I have offered to me at smaller cheeper places so why not at a £150 a night place ? the dining room in the morning was a little bit of a chase up the staff routine again they were very pleasent but once we had a coffee we had to ask them for another we had to ask for bread for the toast as they kept running out and not fast enough to keep up with peoples demands . as for dining we went out first 2 nights to a lovely british pub with great british food this place was called the Foresters if anyone needs postcode for this place or phone number please e mail me on trarob123@aol.com and I will be more than happy to send it you . on the last night we decided to go for a light bite in the hotel the main meals for 3 course ran at about £38a head we decided to try the smaller snack at about £9 a head we ordered fish chips and peas the fish was fantastic the peas however looked liked a teaspoon had been used and when I tipped the chips out of the little basket they came in there was 10 we asked for more chips and got some more only to be found we were charged another £2.50 after a word with the manager this extra was knocked off the bill and we did in all honesty have a laugh with the manager about it ok folks there you have it so a recap in short if I was to go again I would make sure had a ground room only pay offer prices £59 b&b is about right no more and eat at the foresters and be prepared to keep the staff on there toes for breakfast take all this on board and you should be fine

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Corsham, Wilts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

The value here was just amazing. Fantastic building in a wonderful spot, great food, efficient and friendly staff in every department. If I had to single out one member of staff it would be Hayley in the Bar for her warmth and consideration. I used to be a hotel manager myself and travel widely every week. Very rarely does everything in a hotel exceed my expectations but here it did. Thanks to everyone and hope it continues. Will definitely stay here regularly!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
CHESHIRE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

What a disappointment! The location is fabulous and has plenty of potential to be a superb getaway. The main stumbling block is the lack of atmosphere caused principally by the indifference of the staff. The car park is a long way on a slooping, unmade path, from the reception, signs are unclear, it is unlit and unmanned. Do not arrive in high heels or any shoes other than flatties / walking boots/ trainers. There was no one available to take our bags from the carpark to the hotel. The staff were singularly unhelpful, particularly regarding locating our room in the long corridors and many dark staircases. The signs in the dark corridors can be hard to read and are unclear. Our bedroom, a double , had a very small shower room and a ridiculous toilet flushing system that sounded like very loud machine gun fire. This was particularly disturbing during the night, as , having eaten in the restaurant, I then found myself suffering food poisoning and spent a disturbed night being very ill indeed. The food in the restaurant is of a reasonable standard but is not well served, the plates being sticky, unclean and cold . The service is poor and disorganised. It might be advisable to light all the fires - even in August and to send the staff on a charm offensive. Make a bar available at all times. Have a selection of papers availbale to read. Offer tea/ coffee to guests in a designated lounge area on arrival. Put rugs down in reception and the long corrridors. Change the piped music, which seemed to be playing for the entertainment of the staff rather than the guests. Appoint a new restaurant manager and just simply put the guests first and be genuinely friendly and helpful . Sadly, we will not be revisiting.

Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

We got married at Peckforton Castle on 12th June 2009 and it was amazing. We booked it in March 2008 and couldnt wait till the day. The wedding dept is great and the operations dept who are there with you throughout your big day are absolutley brilliant - big thanks to Richard who made sure everything ran smoothly even the carrying of my dress before I walked uo the isle!! The weather was lovely and sunny so we had all our drinks reception outside which was great. We had our civil ceremony in the great hall followed by a blessing in the on site chapel, our wedding breakfast in the drawing room and then back into the great hall for the evening reception.

We had 106 guests in the day and everyone said how incredible the castle, staff, food and service was. All the food was serviced hot and the service was 100%.
Wad a further 100 guests for our evening reception and the buffett was HUGE. We was quite worried before hand as we had received some reviews that the food portions were small, but I can tell you know there was more than enough food and the plates that the buffett was served on was large dinner plates - not small side plates like at some venues.

We had nothing but great reviews of everything from our guests, our day was truely spectacular and we cannot complain about one tiny thing at the castle.
And if we could do it all again we would def choose the castle over and over.

AMAZING

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
leigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

We had a day at Cheshire Oaks and decided to stay in the area overnight. Fabulous hotel. Slight hiccup with bar meal but otherwise very enjoyable. A true castle experience. Have already recommended to friends.

Leigh, Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

We booked a year in advance to have the dream venue and judging by the reaction of all our friends and family it was a booking well made. The Castle was absolutely beautiful and was a stunning setting for our marriage ceremony, wedding breakfast and evening celebrations. We were also allowed to make use of the Castle walls the day before for some abseiling! We did worry slightly when we read a couple of bad reviews on this website regarding the bad experiences of a few wedding parties. All we can say is that we communicated regularly with the wedding co-ordinator , Jo-anne Taylor, on the lead up to the day and with the on duty management on the day, and we found the staff to be extremely willing to help in any way they could. Everything we asked for we got. All our cake and flowers were kept safe for us to collect the next day and all the guests who stayed in the hotel were blown away by the standard of the rooms.

• Stayed August 2009
Birkenhead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

We booked the day before our visit through the hotels own website. £65.00 B&B per night for 2 nights, a big saving on the "rack" rate and about the same at a Premier Inn where brekkie is extra. We didn't visit Trip Advisor beforehand and might not have gone if we had but we had a really lovely time. I can't understand people complaining about long corridors, stone walls and stairs....it's a castle. Also the people who complain about the car park. Look at the photos of the place and then imagine 50 assorted vehicles parked on the central grass area. We had a little trouble with our room initially, as we put the key in the door we were met by the handiman who had been touching up the paintwork, we were shown to a second room but this had not been serviced. After waiting 5 minutes for a chambermaid we tripped down to reception. Contrary to many of the other reviews the staff there could not have been more apologetic and helpful. They put us in a 4 poster bed room (usual rate £190.00 p.n) and offered us a free bottle of champagne(not just wine!!) if we stayed for dinner. I felt a little like Bernard Cribbins in the Faulty Towers "Hotel Inspector" episode(before Basil found out he just sold spoons!!) We thought the dinner was ok, a bit pricey and the service was all rather rushed but the free champers assisted. I liked the breakfast but I am a glutton for sausages and bacon.
The upgraded room(203) was lovely, the view wasn't the best but the bedroom and bathroom were beautiful and were clean and the roll top bath was great. We had no water issues and no noise problems. I think we certainly benefited by staying on a Monday & Tuesday night rather than at the weekend when most of the weddings take place but we can only comment on our own experience which really was very good indeed.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Peckforton Castle? Share your experiences!