“Mixed bag and questionable value” 3 of 5 stars

The Swan Tarporley
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 High Street, Tarporley CW6 0AG, England   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Tarporley
Woking, United Kingdom
“Mixed bag and questionable value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel twice in the past two months.
On the plus side, the staff are very friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean. The breakfast is great. They are located in a small village and the whole experience is a little like stepping back in time, which can be enjoyable.
On the negative side, they really shouldn't advertise free wireless. It only works in one room. They claim it works in the lobby but I couldn't pick up any wireless or 3G signal on my Kindle in the lobby so never bothered trying the laptop.
Also, during my first visit I was located on the back side of the hotel. It was quiet and I got a great night's sleep. On the second visit, my husband was with me. We paid to upgrade to a "suite". It was on the front of the hotel with the main road just below. The traffic noise was significant and certainly did impact our ability to sleep. The security lights were also an issue as the curtains couldn't cover the arches at the top. The staff kindly unscrewed the bulb in the light outside our room so I could darken the room.
The suite was disappointing. It was really just a larger bedroom with a couple of chairs. I would have classed it more as a deluxe room than a suite.
On my first visit I ate dinner in the hotel. You had to place an order at the bar - like you would in a pub, but the menu was not a typical pub menu. They seem to pride themselves on offering a menu that is slightly different. They want a break with all traditional meals. I couldn't find a single dish that seemed appealing in all of it's aspects. I settled on a lamb dish, but I found the quality only average and the value was poor. I think they are trying to straddle two styles and it doesn't quite work. They are operating like a pub but with a fancy restaurant menu.
Before booking the second time the manager told me that while they prided themselves in having a different menu, if I wanted something more plain or traditional that they would do it. My second trip didn't lend itself to having an evening meal this time, but even if I could have edited the menu I still would have faced the value issue so probably would choose to eat out rather than in the hotel.
This hotel is probably more suited to tourists than business travellers, particularly if you need to actually work in the evening. Even an upgraded room doesn't have good workspace or internet connectivity. Whether business or pleasure I certainly wouldn't say it is worth the rates quoted on their website.

Room Tip: Ask for rear side room and negotiate on price.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

A really lovely room - quite unusual as part of the old Coach House which made it a bit 'different'. The bed was extremely comfortable (usually my husband's gripe) and the linen and towels were 5 star.
Not really fancy but if you want comfort, atmosphere and cleanliness - this is perfect. Breakfast was also great (freshly cooked) and the service was also 5 star.
Will definitely return when next visiting the area.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

Staff, accommodation, and food were all excellent. I have already recommended to others and we will deffinately be going back. (great base for walks and visits to local attractions)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

We have travelled to several countries in the past and stayed in 5 star hotels but, I can honestly say that none compare with the last few days !

From start to finish the standards of service, food and comfort were excellent !

Thank you to all of the staff for making our stay so very special.

• Stayed April 2011
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

Whilst having my wedding in Tarporley, many family & friends stayed at the The Swan for the occassion. We were all made to feel very comfortable and the staff couldn't do enough for us in terms of service. We all enjoyed several meals/snacks during the stay which were of a high standard. The location of the hotel is perfect, being right in the centre of the village and within easy reach of the motorway network - Chester, Liverpool, Manchester etc. I wouldn't hesitate to use this hotel again. Thank you all so much for a lovely, memorable stay!

• Stayed March 2011
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

The Swan Hotel is a lovely place with competitive rates and the food is excellent.
The staff are professional and very helpful - nothing is too much bother. Good choice of wine and real ales. All you would want for a weekend break in a nice part of the world.
We will be staying again and we are already recommending it to friends.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
brussels
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

My friend at short notice booked this hotel for me, i was sitting next to him as he called. HE asked for
1. A quiet room
2. Wifi
3. A large bed

I got, a large bed
Wifi not in room
The hotel illuminations shining into my room until 3 am
Road noise waking me up
A TV that looked like it ran on Valves

Although the staff are really nice and the food and drinks are excellent it is a pub/restaurant/hotel and i think the hotelier needs to reconsider his/her offering. Given i was awake most of the night because of the bright orange light shining into my room and the road noise and the noise from the people above me who perhaps were simply visiting the toilet i would need something to do like read my email etc. Alas no wifi and only 5 TV channels.

Room Tip: Get a room at the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
SwanTarporley, Manager at The Swan Tarporley, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Thank-you very much for the feedback. I am glad the staff, food and atmosphere excelled.

The lighting issue we will investigate and i can only apologize. Will look at the curtain coverage also. The TV's are currently being updated to LCD's as per a schedule due for completion by 11/12.

The wifi is available in the room you were in network 11g. This is separate to The Swan Wifi provided downstairs.

Please let us know if you are planning on returning by emailing info@theswantarporley.co.uk and we'll try to ensure all expectations are met.

Kind regards

Been to The Swan Tarporley? Share your experiences!