“Disgusting customer service!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandbach
Sandbach, United Kingdom
“Disgusting customer service!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

On 3rd November 2012 we attended my sister in laws wedding reception. As a treat to my wife and I we decided to book a room at the hotel even though we only live 10 mins away as part of the wedding package a number of rooms were allocated at a discounted rate. I have to say that the room was very nice the only fault being that the radiator didn't work so the room was very cold. Due to the time of the night we made no fuss and went to sleep. When booking into the hotel as any other hotel a. Credit/Debit card was need to obtain a per authorisation of £100 was requested on my card. On departure my card was processed without seeing a bill. When looking after the bill once payment had been taken drinks had been booked to our room which we had not had!!!! This was refunded after informing the receptionist. Common practice for this hotel is to take any charges from the per authorised amount and releasing any unused funds back onto your card. This did not happen as we'll as taking £100 they also took the money for the room. It took a week and a lot of phone calls to get the money back. After complaining to the manager a free nights stay was offered. After explaining why would I want to stay another night when living down the road they offered me a bottle of wine on the house to go with an evening meal!! So now they want me to pay foe a meal!!! Help from both the Manager and their head office is very poor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
LukeKendall001, General Manager at Chimney House Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Sir,

I refer to our conversations via email and over the phone. As discussed the monies were returned back into your account after the pre authorisation was completed on your departure from the hotel. This is standard practice in any hotel. I believe my offer was very fair however you chose not to take this up.

Luke Kendall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We were given a voucher for afternoon tea as a gift. As the Brook House Hotel was on the list of venues and was not too far away from where we live, we decided to book for afternoon tea.
What a disappointment. There were bare tables (no table-cloths). We had requested extra sandwiches and less cakes but the sandwiches were all on white bread, very dry with little or no spread. The ham was not enough to cover the inside of the bread. Fortunately, the sandwiches were fewer than expected and because they were so poor we wouldn't have wanted any more anyway.
The salad garnish was very limp. As for the cakes, the scones were so dry that we needed to use the whole of one small pot of preserve to make them edible. There were two slices of what we thought was strawberry cheesecake which looked as if it had stood in a warm kitchen for a couple of days. The strawberries had run into the cheesecake, making it look pink. My husband managed to eat one slice but I had to leave mine as the look of it put me off. There was a small square of some sort of cake but it was so dry and heavy which made it completely inedible. The pot of fresh cream was crusty around the edges as if that too had been left standing for too long.
The pot of tea was served in a rather grubby stainless steel pot which looked as if it would have benefitted from a good wash and polish.
Last year we went for afternoon tea at Crewe Hall near Crewe and that was absolutely wonderful. Maybe someone from the Brook Chimney House Hotel should go there for afternoon tea and see how it should be done. Needless to say, we would never, never go back to the Brook Chimney House Hotel again. It was a big disappointment to our family who had paid for the voucher as a treat for my wife and myself. Brian H.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

MUCH IMPROVED
very pleasently suprised with my return trip. As stsated before I would have written sooner but tripadvisor would not let me until 3 months had passed.

Arrived at hotel after a long trip down the M6 just in time for the last hour or 2 of sunlight nice enough to sit outside. really pleasant sitting out side me and the wife with a beer. Considering how close you are to the motorway it felt like we were in a nice village location. Ordered food and this is where we were delighted the EUGENE burger has been crowned by me and the wife as burger of the year! we are foodies and its a big call but it was brilliant (I ordered fish and chips and felt like an idiot) Fish and chips average deffo order the burger.

Kate (I think her name was) on reception was the same girl who was on reception last time and was brilliant upgraded our room to a suite on the ground floor it was a very good room with free WIFI which is excellent. Will be stopping here again.

Dot and breakfast are excelent, from other reviews I can see that Dot is a bit of a legend and I can see why. I think new General maanger and his team should be proud of the improvement, as always I can only go off my experiences and honestly the only thing I could complain about (this is if you forced me to find fault) was that on the other tables outside peoples glasses and teas were not cleared away for ages after they left. Not a big problem I am sure you will agree. If you looking for the ritz then this isnt it. If you looking for a great place to lay your head whilst travelling down motorway that you have to only drive yards once of the motorway to get too, then this is the place

Room Tip: One of the ground suites (right after reception)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your kind feedback and I am very glad that I restored your faith in the hotel.

I look forward to meeting you once again in the not too distant future

Northwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Plus Points:
Staff very friendly, hard working, did their utmost to right our concerns.

Minus Points:
Food portions inadequate, even for ladies, bar prices much dearer than venues of a higher calibre than this hotel. Amazed to find a hotel with two large functions on, had run out of red wine quite early in the evening. Why not offer Real Ale in addition to tasteless smooth flow provided (due to this 4 out of 5 chaps on our table drank only tap water thus lost revenue and room bookings as they drove). The poor staff were overstretched and we stacked up our own dirty plates as they were serving the other party.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Sir/Madam,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent experience here at the Brook Chimney House Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you thought the staff were very hard working and friendly. As I have written on another review the red wine was re-stocked with 45 mins due to an unexpected high demand of this item. The bar prices are well in line with other hotels in the area and are constantly reviewed by head office to ensure we are giving value for money. The real Ale is being discussed at the moment and the plan is to provide a product called "Doom Bar".

I hope that you can return to the hotel in the very near future where I will personally ensure your stay will be a memorable one

Crewe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We booked for one night as we were attending a Christmas party there. Room was good apart from the window frame that was in need of replacing. Food was okay apart from the beef that was tough ang stringy. As we are not made of money it would be nice for drinks to be priced a bit cheaper and for real ale to be available. Paying over £ 3.60 for nasty cream flow beer is unacceptable when i can get quality cask conditioned ale for less than £3 in a pub. Breakfast was just okay, nothing special.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your constructive feedback on your experience here at the Brook Chimney House hotel.

As i have indicated in another response my plan is to get a "real ale" however i would not describe Caffrey's as "nasty", it is a quality product supplied throughout the world.

Our bar prices are in line with all other hotels in the local area.

Your comments about the beef have been addressed with the head chef and have been used in preparation for the usual busy weekend ahead.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I had problems with this hotel right from where they got my booking wrong! Girl on the phone was patronising, answering every thing I said (including my name!) with 'no problem' - and then booked me in the wrong date!
The dinner was the worst - one vegetarian option. Penne pasta in tomato sauce with parmesan cheese. This was for £19.50, and parmesan is not vegetarian! I asked if I could have something else and had mushroom risotto. An hour after I went to the dinning room my risotto with partially cooked rice arrived. The service was so slow, I waited 15 minutes at the bar to get the bill.
As mentioned in previous reviews the place is also grubby, and the carpets are threadbare.
This is certainly not a 4 star hotel, and I would recommend you avoid it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Booked well in advance through Laterooms and received confirmation emails. Arrived at the hotel to be told that no booking had been made and that no rooms were ready for us so we would need to wait and hour while they prepared the rooms and made our bookings tried to charge us full rack rate for the booking not the reduced rate we had from Laterooms they eventually honoured the price but said we would have to pay the full cost which i think was £15 for the breakfast and not the discounted price of £9 that was on our Laterooms confirmation.

I complained that we were being penalised due to their inability to communicate with Laterooms and was told they would investigate.

The rooms as stated by other reviewers are dated and tired and the door to my room would only open be being kicked and to close the door it had to be slammed so hard I can't believe it didn't disturb guests in other rooms.

The restaurant menu was really over priced there is a good just up the road in Brereton called the Bears Head which has a good selection of beers and ales and decent sensibly priced food I'd suggest people eat here.

Our £15 Breakfast fee entitled us to pick over a lukewarm buffet of deep fried sausages, dry bacon and over cooked beans and boiled mushrooms, the fruit salad had a strange blue fur around the edges there was one waitress who was friendly enough but clearly stretched dealing with a room full of diners on her own.

When I got home I contacted Laterooms who said they would investigate and came back to me very quickly to say the hotel had told them they DID have my booking all along and would investigate what happened and come back to them. To date I have had no explanation or apology from the Hotel.

Overall this is a perhaps once decent hotel that is on the decline young inexperienced staff couldn't care less about guests. I won't be returning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Chimney House Hotel? Share your experiences!