“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oakmere
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We booked through Secret Escapes, on arrival the hotel grounds were immaculate and stunning, our room was to the highest standard, a beautiful traditional hotel. The staff were very attentive. The hotels welcome letter in our room pointed out we can walk the hotel dogs Fritz and Angel, we took them up on this offer and walked Fritz and Angel in the local area with breath-taking views, this was a pure delight after the motorway drive, by the time we finished walking Fritz and Angel we were totally relaxed and then looked after to the highest standard by the friendly and welcoming hotel staff, the evening meal was delightful and outstanding, would highly recommend this quality hotel to everyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

I have been to the hotel before and it is beautiful. The food was fantastic and even thought we had a voucher for a tasting menu the portions were a really good size. The drinks are pricey, but we knew that before going. The service was not as good as i expected, it wasn't bad by any means but not quite up to scratch given the quality of the food and the beautiful venue.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Halifax
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We booked Nunsmere Hall Hotel with Secret Escapes as we were staying around Chester on the Friday before going down to Uttoxetter Races on the Saturday to watch our friend horse run.

We arrive around 3pm and were shown to our room which was superb, great views of the gardens and the lake.

Afternoon tea in the lounge which at £16 for the both oF us was just about right price wise.

We had booked a table for 8.30 and eat in the beautiful dinning room with marvelloue high ceilings and super decor.

The food form the set menu at £27 was in our opinion very well priced, I went for the haddock with scollops and baby leeks and my wife, the pork both dishes were exellently presented.

Finally, the breakfast which I must say was one of the best full english breakfasts I have ever eaten!

All the staff were attentive to our every needs without being obtrusive, a truly wondeful hotel which you would recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: In this hotel ask for the third floor with the super views of the gardens and lake
cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is a Hotel that I have wanted to visit for many years. WOW I was not disappointed. My Husband, teenage Daughter, Son and myself had an amazing interesting and entertaining full fun packed day.
The Hotel Manager Mark Huntley Family and Staff made everyone feel very welcome relaxed and entertained. As if we were spending the day with family as the full party sat down together for Breakfast ( Bacon Butties ) Lunch ( Soup / Roast Pork / Dessert ) Afternoon Tea ( the Best Scones made by Charlotte yum ). All the food was excellent.
The Hotel has a great welcoming and friendly atmosphere, while being elegant and a classic Country House Hotel.
Fungal Punk Dave is amazing and his knowledge of all things nature is inspiring, this ramble through the Autumn woodland around the Hotel was fantastic. The speed and distance was ideal for me as I am disabled and worried that I would not manage, but the coffee and meal breaks meant that there was alot of rest.
We will return as this was a brilliant day, thank you Mark, Charlotte, Felicity, Staff, Dave and Fritz & Angel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Occasionally we eat at "hotel" restaurants, but normally because we are a captive audience. This time, we were tempted by a travelzoo deal for a 5 course tasting menu with prosecco and I am sooooooo glad we were. The hotel is set in a rural location, about 20 minutes outside of Chester and well worth the trip.
We were greeted in a friendly manner, taken through to the bar and offered prosecco and canapes, whilst we looked at the menu. Our order for food and a lovely bottle of Viognier from a very good wine list was taken promptly.
We were taken through to the dining room, high ceilings, lots of wood panelling, tables well spaced, crisp white linen and not stuffy at all.
I won't list what we both ate, but there was a choice and all the courses were exceptional, highlights for me were the goat's cheese souffle and the brulee.........tastyilicious!!! Well done to Craig and kitchen team. Lucie looked after us very well all evening, overseen by the friendly and knowledgable Jonathan.
I cannot comment on the food prices as we were on a deal, but the wine list had a good range of prices, our particular bottle was £29.....

cheshire UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

It would be churlish to rate this any lower than 5.
I booked an anniversary meal here - one of those where you get a voucher and have to use it by a certain date. As there were so many summer weddings, every weekend date I asked for was not free, which started to be depressing as the voucher end date got closer and closer.
However, I finally got a Sunday evening date, but we decided to go for broke and book an overnight £99 deal. So B&B was £105 - it/s only £99 for ONE person - and the evening meal was extra.

We were met on Sunday afternoon by a chirpy porter in a bowler hat. He helped us with some of the luggage to our room. I personally found the headgear a bit Dickensian and creepy, but I think I'm in a minority of one. As a child, I must have had a strange experience with a man in a bowler hat. Anyway...

As we were first-timers and it was a Sunday, we were upgraded to a massive suite (Begonia), as big as 3 standard hotel rooms, with huge olde worlde Edwardian-style bathroom, and a rear garden view.

Traditional 'country manor' styling, and the very essence of Britishness if you're travelling from abroad after watching countless TV costume dramas, and hoping to live the 100-year-old dream. Giant bed, giant bath, giant lamps, giant wardrobe and giant deep yellow carpet.

Super-clean everywhere (except Venetian blinds in bathroom, but they were hard to reach anyway, so no points deducted for that.) I think there were 2 small tables and 4 chairs, with footrests, too, so we ran out of feet to put up.

It was damp but sunny, but we made ourselves explore the gardens and lake edge for half an hour - you can't get TOO close to the lake as it's fenced off. Then we sat outside on non-plastic patio chairs in the dazzling early autumn sunset. (We could have taken coffee or tea there.)

The meal that evening was great. Portions looked small, but as I think we got 5 'taster' courses and a prosecco included, were definitely sufficient. Eating (drinking?) soup with a teaspoon from a tiny espresso cup was a bit too delicate for me, though, whether it's called an 'amuse-bouche' or not. A kind of tiny Cup-A-Soup. (That's a UK instant mug soup.) Meal styling (appearance) was 'modern' rather than 'Edwardian'.

All staff were great and knew what they were doing. Just by chance, our holidays got messed around and we had to visit 3 hotels within 2 weekends, working in between times. My wife def loved this hotel the most of the three - although it was I who was paying for her to love it!

Cannot remember if there was aircon or not, but we are always warm anyway, and the massive windows had heavy curtains which suited us down to the ground. Literally.

So, in summary, heartily recommended, and we would go back again as an anniversary or birthday treat if I could get another promo rate.

Check-in and -out were fine, with no bill mistakes! That alone's worth another star.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I got married at Nunsmere on 13th October this year and everything was spot on from the moment we walked through the door as potential guests to when we left on Sunday 14th!! Staff are very attentive and were on hand to help in anyway possible.....food was delicious.....rooms are comfy, spacious and quiet!! All in all we had the best day of our lives!! *THANKS NUNSMERE HALL :)*

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Nunsmere Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!