“Happy Energetic Team” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Midlands
“Happy Energetic Team”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

Super food with very efficient pleasant service, but the hilight was the energetic,funny, friendly entertainment team, along with their daily activities they also produced a fab christmas show ,full of dance and some wonderful solo and duet performances.Give me a dose of their energy and talent.Room was very comfortable with excellent (very large bed) did stay in superior suite.
Some great places to visit within short driving distances. My only recommendation is more bar staff on table service during showtime please.Overall -roll on my next visit. Our age a very young 55 years

• Liked — Entertainment activities in hotel
  • Disliked — pool not in hotel
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Gwent
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Booked a 2 night stay having enquired twice with staff regarding the age range. Informed that a good mix of 40+, especially as it was a weekend. We're both 43.

I'll start with the plus points;

Having paid an extra £100, we had a suite. The room was decent even if the bed had seen better days.

Robes, slippers, chocs etc all provided.

This room entitles you to a reserved parking space. This prevents people walking by a brushing your car with their luggage, which was evident.

Having seen our room and being rather upbeat, we ventured to the dining room in order to locate our table as requested by the staff.

We were shown to a very small round table right at the back, a good distance from the stage. Now my eyes are still ok and I struggled to have a view. (Not that it really mattered)

Prior to the evening meal, I went to the gym. This is well equipped and a this point I was still looking forward the weekend.

This feeling was about to change. Come the evening as my wife and I entered the dining area, our faces must have been a picture. SAGA sprung to mind. Both of us felt immediately out of place.

Food is very much, go up and queue for each course. Still good excercise, hey. The standard of the food is no more than supermarket restaurant standard. Infact I'm being unkind. Supermarkets are much better.

Dinner and breakfast was so unsatisfactory that we did a no show for the following night and morning.

No point in complaining, as this clearly is the standard.

I don't want to criticise the entertainment and think it's just fair to say that it's not aimed at our age range. Unable to comment on the Saturday night due to our no show.

We spent the day in Liverpool and visited the famous Cavern, where we saw two acts. Free admission and we had a great time.

We popped in to Debenhams restaurant for lunch. The standard and presentation of the food was far and above that of Alveston Hall. Not bad for a shop. Perhaps they should start weekend breaks!

We paid over £330 for the two night stay. Just wish the lady on the phone had been a little more honest about the age range.

Should have read the comments on this site first. That way it would have prevented us being too early. About 30 years too early.

Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Shropshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2008

We were attending a Christmas party and were offered a 'special deal' of a double room for £60 for the night.
This room was stuck in an annex to the hotel. When we entered the room it was pokey poorly decorated and the bed was undersized for what should have been a double.
I went to reception to ask for a better room and was told there were no other rooms available which I subsequently found to be a lie. The receptionist was very unhelpful. In this day and age it not good enough to provide substandard rooms to paying guests. They probably mitigate themselves by saying it was a cheap room, I would have gladly aid more for an upgrade.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Our room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dorset
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

They got everything wrong and the receptionist did not have a clue on anything. We gave her some post and she lost it!It ended up coming back home to us a month later not given to the person it should. The customer service is rubbish, when we asked for something from our room they never carried it out. They listen and walk away not bothering what your needs are. Dont bother going to 'Crewe' what a dump. Strange place, more like a retirement home. My father is retired and he wouldnt stay here, its that last place you go before you die!Depressing. The rooms arent too clean, and you should hear the housekeeping staffs language and chat in the day its unbelievable they employee these people. Very disappointed in Warner here. Gives Cheshire a bad name to other venues. It was like a working mens club in the evenings!Too expensive for 2 star service!

• Liked — Going Home!
  • Disliked — Inexperience inadequate poor level of service from staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Notts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

As party of six we stayed for the first Turkey & Tinsel of the season we booked the last 3 rooms available two chalet rooms one in the courtyard no 38 ( this was very noisy late at night with people banging about upstairs) and one in Bunbury no 74 both were cheaper rooms but very nice and comfy the third was booked as an Ambassador plus the was updated free of charge to a Royale room ( The Stapley ) not the best Royale but newly refurbished if I was paying I would not book this room there are much better Royale Rooms
The food we found was very good had waiter service for all meals and Jenny our waitress was great The choice on the menu was good On two night had a gala dinner six courses serve to the table excellent
The entertainments team of Bob Roberts and his Alvaston Allstars were excellent and kept you entertained all day with quizzes, games and at night great shows
Yes the age group is 60 plus but they are there to enjoy themselves ( we are all kids at heart )
If you want an enjoyable break and are willing to join in and make friends Alvaston Hall is great

• Liked — plenty to do or relax your choice
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Leicestershire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

Don't go there if you are under 65! I was led to believe that a range of people of all ages go to Alvaston Hall. I am 49 and my husband is 50 and we felt so young!

When we arrived we were shown to our dining table, we asked to be moved because it was so small. A member of staff in the restaurant gave us a reprimanding look and mumbled 'you'll have to have that one over there then,' and walked away. Welcome to Alvaston Hall we thought. There is no internet access in the rooms. There is supposedly wifi in the golf club but no one knew how to use it. The last time anyone had asked for the password was in 2007.

Hi-de-hi is the theme. It is lifeless there if you can't do a quick step. I just wish that Warners staff would be honest about the age group they attract. When I asked the question about the age of people that go there I was told a good mix of ages. There is if you are between 70 and 90 years of age.

• Liked — The room was well decorated and quite modern
  • Disliked — the decorating work that was going on in the corridors. The mess was left there overnight!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kettering
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

Having a brief attack of romance I booked a late deal weekend break for me and 'the wife'. I read the internet guff on the Warner site and was tempted into paying the extra wedge for a top of the range room called a 'Royale' in the belief we could bask in luxury, which would surely impress 'the wife'.
On arrival we were allocated the 'Alderney suite' which overlooked the golf course. The room was spacious but with a tiny bathroom area. The room had an extra large king size bed, that is where the luxury stopped. The room was dusty and had a plethora of cobwebs, the furniture was tired and dated (not quite antique yet though!).
We explored the hotel and its facilities and found 'tired' to be a fair assessment of most of them. The gym was an exception to this rule with a limited but acceptable range of equipment. The steam room and Jacuzzi were small and again dated. The men’s changing rooms were dirty with limited locker facilities and the whole area had a general feel of being, well - tired.
We returned to our 'Royale' suite to bathe and prepare for the evening’s entertainment. The shower trickled and if you moved around a bit you could get wet. I decided instead to luxuriate in a bath - 25 minutes later I had a pool of luke warm water lapping around my ankles. After bathing like a sparrow in a puddle frustration got the better of me and I complained. First positive note -from the time of arrival to our departure all the staff were pleasant and helpful. The receptionist stated she would have someone look at it in the morning. We dined
Second positive note -the food was very good followed by excellent entertainment (it was a 70's weekend -our era but I think most of the clientele thought it was an age requirement).
We met a lovely couple who were also in a nearby Royale suite and they regaled a similar story - but here’s the rub -we met another lovely couple who were in the far cheaper 'Signature' room. They had paid less and had an excellent modern, powerful new shower. My complaint never resolved the plumbing problem (under sized pipes it was explained) and the staff could not relocate us to a cheaper refurbished room as the hotel was fully booked.
Moral of my experience - if considering staying at Alverstone Hall, stay in the cheaper 'Signature' rooms and make sure they have been refurbished. If possible leave it a year or so when they may have got round to updating the facilities.
We did have a good time there because, as mentioned, we met lovely people, the live entertainment was very good, the food was more than acceptable and the bar prices were not exorbitant. The staff were pleasant but the hotel is in desperate need of some love! ‘The wife’, she wasn’t impressed, not sure I am going to try this romance thing again!

• Liked — It had a big bed
  • Disliked — Deadful plumbing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Alvaston Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!