“Worth the drive to the middle of nowhere !” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 18 Attractions in Nantwich
Type: History Museums, Specialty Museums, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover the secret world of nuclear government. For over 50 years this vast underground complex, remained secret, hidden on the outskirts of a sleepy Cheshire town. Declassified in 1993, the 35,000 sq ft underground bunker would have been the centre of Regional Government had nuclear war broken out. The bunker today offers a warm welcome to anyone looking for a totally different day out.
Waddesdon, United Kingdom
82 attraction reviews
“Worth the drive to the middle of nowhere !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit here. I thought it was funny with all the signs to the secret bunker - very ironic!
The tour is self guided and very interesting. It is helpful to look on the website to learn about the history of the bunker before you go.
Every room is full of artefacts and the entire bunker is fascinating. It is impossible to believe that this would have housed the people responsible for governing the country. Each room is full of technology and is amazing to see how out of date it already is but also how much tech was needed at the time. I thought it was fun to practice the morse code too!
All in all we spend a happy hour and a half here, especially as the weather was so bad outside. Some people have complained about the entry price but we were happy to pay this to see something that you would never see again!
Also its BETTER for not being modernised its history ………..
Would recommend .

Stockport, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“Could be so much better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

The bunker contains masses of exhibits, but very little in terms of information so I didn't feel that it told any kind of a story. Some items had notes, such as the Queen's phone, which made it much more interesting, but these were in the minority.

I really wanted to like it, but most of the time I wasn't really sure what I was looking at and whether it was part of the original bunker or brought in from elsewhere for the display so I didn't find it very interesting. I have just read another review which recommended doing some research before visiting, and I think this is good advice if you don't have much knowledge of the subject matter.

I do think it could be a great place to visit with some more background information and explanatory notices but sadly, I didn't really enjoy my visit and we were out in just over an hour which wasn't great value for money at over £8 each.

Visited February 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
“Couldn't find the cat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

We visited on 24th Jan
Despite the weather and it being term time, there we where quite a few visitors around.
The bunker was great, lots to see and very informative. We sat through most of the film, so sad and scary.
Dress warmly as it may all be indoors, but its not heated, so wasd really cool.
We had hot drinks in the cafe. There's a poster telling visitors about the resident cat, shame we missed him.

Alcester, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“Fascinating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

The mere existence of this place is mind boggling - a bunker underground that could have housed 130 civil servants (designated to rebuild society) built and prepared just in case we got nuclear bombed. Mental.

We visited on a Sunday and pretty much had the place to ourselves. The self guided tour allows you to explore the entire bunker by following numbered arrows. It's a really good way of getting to know what they planned to do in he UK should a bomb have been dropped.

That being said I'm glad I knew a little bit about the place before I went there as I really think that it would benefit from having a sign explaining the purpose of the place in Lehman's terms before you begin the self guided tour. It could also do with a bit of a freshen up in there as it doesn't appear to have had a lot of TLC since it first opened.

I highly recommend Hack Green though. It's just fascinating with an incredible collection of Cold War artifacts. What I would recommend though is to read the history page on their website before you go and also watch all of the videos that are on a loop when you first go through the main entrance (we watched them on the way out!). That would give you a good basic knowledge and would help appreciate the tour a lot more.

Workington, United Kingdom
164 attraction reviews
“not your run of the mill museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Stuck in the middle of nowhere, and not much to look at from the outside, you will be left amazed by what you see, and experience, once inside. We spent a good couple of hours there, and it was such a shame, we were the only people there.
You may actually find it cold and uninviting when you go in, but please let your imagination take over and imagine what it was like for the staff working there, waiting for a nuclear war. It looks like it was suddenly abandoned, by everyone, left for 30 years and then suddenly opened up, just as it was left.
It is well laid out, easy and clear route to follow, and a hunt the mouse game for children, although I think you get children would not appreciate the museum.
Nice cafe as well, and the 2 staff on duty, helpful.

Visited December 2013