“Young excellent team” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Nantwich
London, United Kingdom
“Young excellent team”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed at this hotel recently. The staff albeit young, were very accommodating and wanting to please. Food was very good and quite interesting in the combination of flavours. If there was one observation, would say that whilst the wine list was reasonably extensive, was over priced for a number of their offerings.
An excellent breakfast menu and very well presented.

Room Tip: Was in the old part of the house.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us, and we do hope to see you many more times in the future.

I very much appreciate your comments in relation to the breakfast, staff and service. Once again many thanks for your much valued feedback and I look forward to seeing you in the hotel in the near future.

Gwyn Jones.

1,067 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

A fantastic location and extraordinary beautiful historic hotel. Just about everyone we came in contact with at the hotel were brilliant. Whether waiter, receptionist, cleaner, gardener, etc. etc. All were keen to make our stay feel that much more special.

Most impressive aspect? Perhaps that we 'expected' to have a lovely time at your hotel, but you exceeded our expectations at every level, Sunday Lunch, coffees on the terrace, string quartet, games on the lawn, late check out, breakfast offered on the terrace, the lovely room, etc, etc. Thank you.

What could we do to enhance the experience? Absolutely nothing. But no doubt you will surprise us next time. Thank you. Oh just one minor thing... very low internet speed

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor following your recent stay. I was delighted to read your comments with regard to your stay and the service received from the team. We do take great pride in our product and service and in particular in our high levels of food quality.

We are always receptive to feedback about our product and service and we work earnestly to make continuous improvements in these areas. We have a great team of people working at the hotel and it is nice that you have highlighted the team for their wonderful efforts.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rookery Hall in the future.

Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Excellent welcome all staff at all times were friendly and helpful and on several occasions went the extra mile for us.
Stayed in room 2 which was accessible and the adjoining room 3 with a connecting door which was handy for a carer, however the room was overfurnished with 3 armchairs, another chair, 2 bedside tables, a desk, another table and a large TV cabinet; all of which made moving around in a wheelchair more difficult than it could have been. room was well supplied with biscuits and hot drinks, lovely towels and robes.
We stayed on a breakfast and evening dinner inclusive, breakfast was usual cold buffet with cooked breakfasts brought to tables as ordered, food was only average. Dinner was table d'hote from a rather restricted menu 5 mains (of which 2 veggi ) which did not alter day to day - could be a problem on long stays; standard at dinner was higher, portions smallish, wine v. expensive (£30 up for a bottle).
Visited the spa where disabled facilities were excellent with a swimming pool hoist and attendant available as well as a well equipped disabled changing room.
Snacks at both spa and hotel bar were v. expensive - two soft drinks, a sandwich and a soup costing us over £20
The hotel is set in grounds which are accessible to some extent with lawns where croquet, quoits, and petanque can be played.

Overall we really enjoyed the stay

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms near car parks and entrances due to noise late at night.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay and you found team to be welcoming and friendly and the Spa to be excellent. However naturally I was disappointed you found the room to be overfurnished and will review this with our team.

I am sorry you found the menu to be limited. We put a great deal of time and effort into the production of our menu's and the training of our teams, in our continuous drive for improvement, and are more than happy to alter or amend the menu around a guests needs. I was also sorry you felt our drinks prices were expensive but we believe that our single vineyard house wines at £5.50 for a 175ml glass or £23.00 per bottle offer excellent quality at a sensible price.

Thank you again for your review.

manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We got the deal off buy a gift & upgraded for a treat for my daughter & myself for a day of pampering. Very lovely welcome & were made to relax straight away. We filled in a standard health form & then were given a lovely drink whilst we waited to be shown round . The pool area is lovely although a little hot but think thats due to the glass roof & the weather at the moment. We were both booked in for a luxury facial & given robes & slippers for the day which is nice as you dont have to worry about taking anything else except your swim gear. Fantastic facial , would of been nice for the girl to advise on what she was doing or about to do, so you can relax a bit more. My daughter also had a hand arm & foot massage whilst her mask was drying , which I did think I would get, as seems standard when you have that level of facial but was lovely non the less, & my skin is amazing still after 3 days. lovely lunch off the pre picked menu, think this could have a few more options on it as I had the beef stew which was nice but not quite what you want on a spa day !!. the girl behind the bar was lovely & the service was fantastic with a non alcholic drink being offered to us instead of champagne. We used the pool & spa bath ( which was far too hot ) after & just took some magazines & sat & relaxed for a few hours. Would go again if I could get the offer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for posting your comments following your spa day here at Rookery Hall. It is always a real pleasure to read such feedback about staff being friendly and helpful and how we are continuing to improve and evolve something as a team we are passionate about.

I will certainly convey your kind words to all the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My friends and I recently spent a girlie weekend here on a spa package which was great value and included treatments, use of the spa facility, overnight accommodation, evening meal and breakfast.

The location and setting here is lovely and the staff are all very pleasant. Service is good also. The Spa facility is immaculate and the bedrooms are very nice and tastefully decorated. The beds are extremely comfy and towels very fluffy (I am getting old, I don’t usually comment on stuff like this!!) We stayed in the executive room and had a TV in the bathroom and had a turndown service etc.. so it was all very lovely.

Food is beautiful and very well presented but there’s not a great deal of it! We had to fill up on cheese & biscuits after our 3 course dinner. Breakfast was extensive with a great choice, shame we couldn’t really enjoy it as we were a little ‘green at the gills’ from a heavy night!

A point deducted in my review for the hideous bar prices at this hotel (hence scoring 4 and not 5 out of 5), and if it was not for the ridiculous bar prices, I really would consider this lovely place for forthcoming events, however, I would not be comfortable having my guests pay these extremely over exaggerated bar prices which are bordering on ridiculous. Now I am not tight by any stretch of the imagination and I like nice things, BUT I do hate being ripped off and I did feel aggrieved at paying £22 for 3 single measure drinks! I’ve paid less for drinks in Central London and major cities across the world than I paid here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. We're delighted to read how much you enjoyed our facilities and that our staff were friendly and efficient. As with many hotels we serve a larger 35ml measure in all of our bars and restaurants and charge accordingly. When compared to a normal 25ml measure I do believe it offers good value.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Gwyn Jones.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed for one night for a friends wedding last weekend. The room was lovely and the air conditioning was a welcome relief. The wedding breakfast food was OK, but I certainly would not recommend having the bacon rolls for an evening reception - what a complete rip off. A huge roll with one rasher of bacon for just under £20/head!! And the bar drinks were over priced, and also the bill you were charged for the same round of drinks seemed to change depending on who served you. Lovely venue but a bit of a rip off!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.

I was really pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay and found the room to be lovely. With regard to the evening reception at the wedding I am slightly confused as we have no evening reception packages including bacon rolls with a price of £20.00 I am however sorry you only had one rasher of bacon in your bacon roll, I would like to reassure you that we do not only put one rasher of bacon in each bread roll and I have discussed this with the chef to ensure more consistent production. I am also sorry that the bar service was inconsistent and have asked Jane our conference and banqueting manager to retain the team.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope to welcome you back again soon.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Very small, hot room with no aircon and a small fan to circulate the 30c air. Bar and dinner service were slow but friendly. I would echo other reviewers' comments about the inexperience of some of the staff. Breakfast is great (beats the local Crewe Hall), however I found it slow at times and my order was delivered incorrectly on 3 occasions. I have stayed here a number of times and many more at Crewe Hall. I may now reserve my stays here for the cooler months only...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent stay.

Whilst I was delighted to read your remarks about the quality of the food you received, I was disappointed that you felt the service could have been quicker; we do try and ensure that guests are not rushed during Breakfast but we are also aware that many guests do want to start their day promptly and we try and ensure that the balance is right. I am sorry that on this occasion, it was not.

With regard to the air conditioning all 39 of our executive rooms do have air conditioning. Please do contact me personally next time you are staying and I will arrange an upgrade. We hope to see you again soon and look forward to being able to welcome you back on your next visit to Cheshire.

Gwyn Jones

Been to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!