“Not my first choice” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Wales
“Not my first choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel as I was attending a training course at a local College with a number of work colleagues. Arriving at the Hotel was simple and there is a car park at the back of the Hotel which is free if you are staying there. The person who checked me in was very nice and friendly and I was quickly allocated a room. The Hotel has a lot of charm and the inside contours need to be seen to be believed. On finding my room at the front of the Hotel my immediate thoughts were that it was a very good size room but looked a little dated. There was tea and coffee making facilities and the linens were all clean. One of the windows didn't close properly in the room so it soon became quite chilly in there, the controls had been removed from the radiator and the heating went off through the night. Because the window didn't close properly every sound outside could clearly be heard, and there was a pub on the opposite corner with very loud music until around Midnight. When the music finally stopped I tried to settle but was woken again at 1am, then 3 am because of people fighting outside the hotel. I was woken several more time before I finally got up in the morning. The headboard on the bed banged against the wall every time I moved in the bed. The bath was great (except the view of the soil pipe) but the shower was not so good, the mixer taps ranged from scalding hot to freezing cold and it was impossible to control. The pictures on the wall were cracked and the TV was not receiving any BBC channels in the morning. The Hotel was booked for me but I certainly would not choose to stay there again. The food and service in the restaurant was good as was the breakfast. The staff were all very nice, friendly and I cannot fault them at all.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed here on business on a Tuesday night. Ever seen faulty towers??

Ok so the room (room 11): no water pressure so hot tap in sink and bath barely a trickle. That's the shower too. I opened the trouser press and it fell off the wall. Light bulbs missing. The single pane glass windows to the front street have large gaps in (big enough to slide my phone through), the lock on the door needed all my strength to turn it. The walls are paper thin so I heard every word of my neighbours TV.

The location: directly opposite The Union (pub/bar) which played music until 1am - very loud (and I like loud music). Then when it closed everyone gathered in the street outside my room until 3am, until the police came to break up a fight.

The building: very old and very crooked, which is charming and there's nothing they can do about it, but it meant my bed was up hill with the headboard about 3 inches below my feet when lying down. Not nice.

Food: was ok. Restaurant was nice, breakfast was average. A colleague fell through his chair when it collapsed on him, which was funny for us, not for him. Not good quality furniture!

My collegues has similar experiences. No shower hooks, holes in doors, shelves falling off walls.

DO NOT STAY HERE. EVER.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
bristol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed in room 14 and the front of the hotel over 2 nights in April 2013 (a monday and Tuesday). Where to start.... The room is very tired, curtain hanging off the rail, bits of chipboard screwed to the floor to hold bedside cabinets in place, loads of leaflets stuffed around the frame of the sash window, (presumably to hold it in place) however by far the worst problem is THE NOISE. You may as well pitch a tent on the high street for all the peace you'll get. You can hear conversations on the street outside clearly from within which gets wearing at 130 am when the pubs chuck out. Additionally, if nearby music venue The Union is open (tuesdays) you'll hear every lyric, beat and DJ intro. If you need to actually sleep in your hotel room - GO ELSEWHERE.
oh, final tip, make sure your egg is actually cooked before you eat to much of it.

Room Tip: If you want a good hotel room - go somewhere else.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We visited Casa Brasserie yesterday for our evening meal,it was frankly one of the poorest meals we have ever had! The starter arrived and we have ordered bruschetta in many restaurants before and it's always been very tastey,this however was poor! The bread was fine but the large amount of balsamic vinegar ruined the small amount of onion and hard tomato,I then had spag bol and asked for a roll which took 8 minutes to bake ,the spag Bol was awful with a very unpleasant flavour which again I have had many times before elsewhere successfully.My husband had a pizza that was burnt on the outside and uncooked in the middle! When asked by the waitress if our meal was ok I said "it's ok but that's all we can say" and then asked for the bill,she walked to the head waiter and spoke to him ,he then came over took our money and rushed off as quickly as possible!!very disappointing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
haverfordwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hotel is a lovely ancient black and white building and when we booked we imagined we would be in one of ythe lovely old beamed bedrooms they show on the website we were disapointed to be in a more modern room with no view and it was quite small for a twin. The worst thing was the odd smell when we entered the roo it smelled of drains and affected my friend more than me
We ate in their Italian restaurant which was excellent. Unfortunately we chose a saturday to stay and ther is a night cklub nest door which seems to noisily tip out at 3 am my friend woke and complained about it the next morning as there were fights and police etc luckily I had enjoyed my meal and wine so much that I slept through it. The staff were lovely tough and overall I would reccommend it but not sure my friend would!!

Room Tip: if you would like the olde worlde room make sure you are at the front of the building
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Padstow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Amazing building with such a rich history. Friendly and helpful staff. Husband is disabled and needs assistance which was readily and thoughtfully given. Excellent meal which we will remember. Collecting Avis car for journey from Nantwich to North Wales. This all fell into place perfectly. Room very comfortable, warm, clean and well appointed bath / shower room. Hotel has great atmosphere and is in an ideal location. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and hope to return again soon.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear of hotel probably quietest.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nantwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I booked my daughter's wedding last February to take place last Saturday, which it did. Throughout the whole process Susan and her daughter, Abigail could not have been more helpful or accommodating. As for the day itself, what can I say that would reflect strongly enough how pleased and delighted we were from start to finish. We able to have access to the beautiful ballroom the day before so we could dress it, although it needed little adding as Susan had organised the chair covers, sashes etc,. She also had kindly left up her Christmas decorations as they matched the colour scheme. The food was exactly as we ordered, even down to the 'very well done bacon' requested for the evening buffet! It was efficiently and politely served. There were 100 guests, and we even had a vegan coeliac to cater for! The atmosphere was fabulous, the disco the best we had been to, no talking!! We occupied most of the hotel rooms that night, which were quirky, warm and comfortable. If you want boring travel inn type places this is not for you! Breakfast next morning was brilliant, well cooked, ample and again served politely and efficiently. My daughter described it as her dream day, this was made possible by Susan and her staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!